4 Assisted Living Facilities in Porterville, CA
Also serving communities of Kernville.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Porterville. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Porterville 3.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Visalia with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Porterville, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Porterville
Porterville is located in the southeastern portion of California’s Central Valley, halfway between Fresno and Bakersfield. The location gives adventure-loving seniors easy access to Sequoia National Forest, Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park. Of the city’s population, approximately 60,000, about 11.3% are adults aged 65 and older.
To support these residents, Porterville offers four assisted living communities, known as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs) in California. The California Department of Social Services’ Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD) and Continuing Care Contracts Branch regulates RCFEs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Porterville
- Older adults who don’t enjoy heat may find Porterville’s July average high temperature of 98.1 degrees difficult to live with. Porterville is one of the hottest places in California, experiencing only 13 inches of rain on average per year and 271 sunny days. Temperatures exceed 90 degrees on 113 days of the year.
- Porterville has an array of community resources for seniors, including Community Services Employment Training (CSET), which offers seven senior centers in Tulare County, including one in Porterville. Seniors find meal programs, classes and games at the centers along with a cool place to retreat on hot summer days.
- Seniors living in Porterville don’t pay state income taxes on their Social Security benefits, but all other forms of retirement income are taxed. California’s sales taxes are high, with an average combined rate of 8.55% for the state and localities.
- The Porterville area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sierra View Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Porterville’s crime rates are on par with the national averages, with violent crime in the city rating a 25.1 on a 100-point scale. This is a bit higher than the national average of 22.7. Property crime in Porterville scores 36.6, and the U.S. average is 35.4.
- Seniors who enjoy a vigorous outdoor lifestyle should know that the American Lung Association grades Porterville and all of Tulare County an F for ozone pollution and F for particle pollution. This may pose a serious health risk to all seniors, especially those with respiratory illnesses.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Porterville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Porterville start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Porterville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Porterville
As of August 2019, seniors in Porterville are not eligible for Medi-Cal's Assisted Living Waiver Program (ALWP). ALWP is currently available in 15 California counties, but Tulare is not included. Nearby Fresno and Kern Counties do participate, however, if seniors are willing to consider relocating to an RCFE in those counties.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Porterville
Porterville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Porterville, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Porterville
Porterville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Porterville
Review of Autumn Oaks
This place is dirty and understaffed. Guests can access other patients rooms and theft is a common occurrence. When you call to the office, the number's voicemail isn't set up to even leave a message Read more
Review of Autumn Oaks
My Grandmother has Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease and is no longer able to care for herself. We tried in home nursing, but the costs were just too great. We selected Autumn Oaks and have bee... Read more