59 Assisted Living Facilities near Santa Monica, CA
With an average cost of $5,573 in Santa Monica, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 58 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 13 facilities in Santa Monica.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Santa Monica, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Santa Monica
Santa Monica is a beachfront community located in Los Angeles County. The town is only 8.3 square miles with 3.5 miles of coastline. Downtown Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and Hollywood are nearby, providing seniors plenty of fun outside of assisted living. Seniors make up 16 percent of residents ages 65 and over in Santa Monica and there are 12 residential care facilities in the town to support them. These facilities in Santa Monica and the rest of California are licensed by the Community Care Licensing Division of the Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Santa Monica
- With warm winters averaging 49.3 degrees, lower precipitation and a higher number of sunny days per year, Santa Monica's Sperling comfort index of 89 is higher than the national average of 54, indicating a more comfortable year-round climate.
- Santa Monica is highly walkable and has sufficient transportation modes including train, bus, ride-sharing and biking systems. Santa Monica Free Ride offers free electric shuttle trips, and seniors 62 and up enjoy reduced fares on Big Blue Bus and Metro rides. Authorized taxi companies offer 10 percent fare discounts for citizens 65 and older. For trips to medical facilities, select shopping destinations and other areas in Santa Monica, adults 60+ may avail the Mobility On Demand Every Day (MODE) shared-ride service.
- Low-income seniors 62 and up may be exempted from Santa Monica’s utility users tax, and California doesn’t tax social security incomes. However, the state fully taxes pensions and has higher tax rates than other states, and Santa Monica’s high cost of living should be taken into consideration by seniors on a budget.
- Santa Monica has an array of community resources for seniors, including WISE & Healthy Aging, an organization that offers comprehensive programs and assistance for seniors, caregivers and professionals in the field of aging as well as two senior centers.
- The Santa Monica area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center, Berkley East Convalescent Hospital and Providence St. John’s Health Center in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The vibrant coastal city of Santa Monica offers plenty of arts and culture activities, attractions and events. Some RCFs for the elderly may arrange enriching trips to local performing arts theaters, art galleries in Bergamot Station and lively festivals.
Paying for Assisted Living in Santa Monica
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Santa Monica start around $5,573 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Santa Monica and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Santa Monica
Seniors with Medi-Cal eligibility may qualify for the state's Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) program to cover the cost of RCFs for the elderly in Santa Monica, California.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Santa Monica
Santa Monica and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Santa Monica, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Santa Monica
Santa Monica-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Santa Monica, CA
Other Options in Santa Monica, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Santa Monica
Review of Brookdale Santa Monica Gardens
I was super impressed with Brookdale Santa Monica Gardens. It is very light and airy, and it has a lot of sunlight, which is good. It has a lot of different activities, which my father needs, and i... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Santa Monica
We went to Sunrise of Santa Monica. We loved the staff. They seemed to be very responsive. At the time that we visited, they were a little more open, so we were able to tour the facility quite a bi... Read more
Review of Brookdale Ocean House
We really liked Brookdale Santa Monica, but it was expensive. They gave us some really nice cookies when we left. The staff member was very friendly and was nice enough when we realized that this w... Read more