152 Assisted Living Facilities near Sherman Oaks, CA
There are 152 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sherman Oaks area, with 10 in Sherman Oaks and 142 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Sherman Oaks is $8,808 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Van Nuys with an average starting cost of $3,250.
To help you with your search, browse the 405 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sherman Oaks. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sherman Oaks 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Encino with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sherman Oaks, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Sherman Oaks, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sherman Oaks
Sherman Oaks, which was once covered in citrus groves, is now a neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles that is full of picturesque, tree-lined streets and quaint shops. For seniors seeking a quieter, more affordable alternative to downtown Los Angeles, an assisted living facility in Sherman Oaks may be the perfect fit.
In Sherman Oaks and throughout California, assisted living facilities are known as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs). The California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division, licenses and regulates RCFEs. There are 11 RCFEs in Sherman Oaks and 50 more in communities close by such as Van Nuys, Encino and Studio City.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sherman Oaks
- Although summers can be toasty, with an average high temperature of 88 degrees Fahrenheit, Sherman Oak's climate ranks high for comfort. On average, the sun-soaked city receives only 19 inches of rain in a year.
- When budgeting, seniors should keep in mind that although Sherman Oaks tends to be more affordable than other parts of Los Angeles, the city's living costs are still 162.9 percent above the U.S. national average.
- Seniors, especially those with respiratory issues, should be aware that poor air quality is a problem in the Sherman Oaks area. According to the American Lung Association, which measures air quality across the U.S., the Sherman Oaks area receives a failing grade for both ozone and particle pollution.
- Sherman Oaks offers seniors plenty of options for enjoying leisure and the arts. These include the Sherman Oaks Galleria for shopping and watching movies, as well as a variety of restaurants along Ventura Boulevard.
- Sherman Oak's easy access to public transportation is a plus. Bus routes service the city and surrounding areas, and seniors may qualify for reduced fares.
- The Sherman Oaks area is home to world-class medical facilities, including UCLA Medical Center and Sherman Oaks Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sherman Oaks
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Sherman Oaks start around $8,808 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sherman Oaks and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sherman Oaks
For many seniors who are considering assisted living, a facility's cost can be a significant barrier. Fortunately, Medi-Cal, which is California’s Medicaid program, provides an Assisted Living Waiver Program (ALWP) for eligible seniors in Orange County. Financial aid is also available to those with Supplemental Security Income (SSI) through California’s Optional State Supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sherman Oaks
Sherman Oaks and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sherman Oaks, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sherman Oaks
Sherman Oaks-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Sherman Oaks, CA
Other Options in Sherman Oaks, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sherman Oaks
Review of Belmont Village Encino
If we go forward, we will probably be moving my mom into Belmont Village Encino's Assisted Living in Sherman Oaks. It's super clean, organized, has friendly people, and it's well run. The staff I i... Read more
Review of The Village at Sherman Oaks
I live at The Village at Sherman Oaks. It's wonderful. It serves all my purposes. They have everything here I could ever want. The staff is really good. I get a lot of medication, they deliver it w... Read more
Review of The Village at Sherman Oaks
The Village at Sherman Oaks was lovely and beautiful. I took my father when they had an entertainment, which was lovely. The rooms were very nice. They have a patio outside a small shop. It's like ... Read more