2 Assisted Living Facilities in Cambria, CA
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Cambria, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Cambria, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Cambria
Cambria is a small beachfront city on California's central coast, north of San Luis Obispo and tucked in between a broad stretch of beach and the world-famous Pacific Coast Highway. Fully 41 percent of Cambria's 6,000 people are seniors age 65 and over, yet only two assisted living facilities operate in and around the town to serve those who need help performing normal activities of daily living (ADLs) like dressing and preparing meals.
Both of Cambria's assisted living communities, like similar residential care facilities around the state, are licensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Cambria
- The weather in Cambria is mild and comfortable all year. Summer highs average a cozy 78 degrees, even in the highest points of August and September. Winters are equally mild in Cambria, where overnight lows in December average 44 degrees. Warm surface currents in the Pacific Ocean blows roughly 29 inches of rain on shore here in an average year.
- The cost of living in Cambria is somewhat higher than the state average, but still 84 percent above the national average cost of living. While housing can be expensive in Cambria, other services are more affordable. Healthcare here averages 12 percent less expensive than the typical cost nationwide.
- Crime rates in Cambria are very low in all categories. Violent crime is extremely rare, while all categories of crime combined in Cambria total between 20 and 33 percent of the equivalent national figures.
- Public transportation in Cambria is provided by CamTran, which operates 14 urban and seven rural bus lines in and around the city. Seniors ride at a discount on CamTran, with relatively easy connections to San Luis Obispo and transit stations for trips to Bakersfield.
- The Cambria area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Twin Cities Community Hospital and French Hospital Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Cambria has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Area Agency on Aging for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties, an organization that provides education and assistance to Cambria seniors to better understand Medicare and Medicaid through its Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP), as well as two senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Cambria
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Cambria start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Cambria and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cambria
Cambria's seniors can find help paying for caregiver services through San Luis Obispo County's In-Home Support Services program. Vouchers from this program help pay for non-medical care delivered in the seniors' home or residential facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Cambria
Cambria and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Cambria, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cambria
Cambria-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.