108 Assisted Living Facilities near Compton, CA
Also serving communities of Lynwood.
There are 108 Assisted Living Facilities in the Compton area, with 2 in Compton and 106 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 286 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Compton. Better rated regions include Gardena with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Compton, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Compton, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Compton
Compton is one of Los Angeles' oldest towns, and today it's a highly urbanized community near the heart of the downtown area. Over 97,600 people live in Compton, just 8.7 percent of whom are seniors age 65 and over. The area in and around Compton's city limits holds at least 106 licensed assisted living facilities for independent seniors. These facilities, like other residential care communities in the state, are licensed and regulated through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division, which inspects and reports on conditions for the public.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Compton
- The weather in Compton is warm all year, with some very hot days in August and September. Summer high temperatures in Compton average 78 degrees, while winter lows average 51. This part of Los Angeles records just over 18.6 inches of rain a year on average, though frequent droughts can drop that figure significantly. Seniors with asthma may wish to stay indoors on bad air quality days, caused by thick smog over the city center.
- The cost of living in Compton is high by national standards, but relatively low for a California city. Across all cost categories, expenses in Compton are 49 percent above the equivalent national rates. This is less than California's 69 percent higher-than-national cost of living. Healthcare is relatively affordable in town. Seniors in Compton pay an average of just 85 percent of the national median cost for medical services.
Crime rates in Compton are very high. In all categories, Compton records higher crime rates than typical cities its size nationwide, though violent crime is not much higher than the national average. High rates of property crime have left Compton with an overall crime rate two-thirds above national figures.
- Public transportation in Compton is provided by the bus and rail lines of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro). Metro offers discount fares for seniors and riders with disabilities, as well as same-day service on dial-a-ride and assisted van service.
- The Compton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Centinela Hospital Medical Center and Martin Luther King Jr. Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Los Angeles County is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Compton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Compton start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Compton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Compton
The Assisted Living Waiver helps seniors who are in need of a nursing home level of care afford assisted living in one of 15 participating counties, including Los Angeles County where Compton is located.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Compton
Compton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Compton, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in Compton Area
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Compton
Compton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.