114 Assisted Living Facilities near Hawthorne, CA
There are 114 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hawthorne area, with 2 in Hawthorne and 112 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 192 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hawthorne. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hawthorne 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Torrance with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hawthorne, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Hawthorne, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hawthorne
Hawthorne, California, is a densely populated urban community in the heart of the Los Angeles metropolitan area, not far from LAX airport and less than 10 minutes from Manhattan Beach. Over 88,000 people live in Hawthorne, nine percent of whom are seniors age 65 and over. To meet the needs of Hawthorne seniors the area is home to nine assisted living facilities. These sites, like residential care communities across the state, are licensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hawthorne
- The weather in Hawthorne is generally stable, with warm summers and dry spells that can last all year. August high temperatures in Hawthorne average 78 degrees and winter lows average 49 in December. In a typical year, Hawthorne gets close to 14 inches of rain, though frequent droughts interrupt that patter two or more times a decade. Heavy smog in the city can aggravate some seniors' COPD, though the air over Los Angeles has been improving for decades.
- The cost of living in Hawthorne is 84 percent above the national average. The equivalent cost of living for California is 69 percent higher than the national rate, so Hawthorne is not a major outlier for costs. Healthcare is relatively affordable in Hawthorne, costing around 15 percent less for seniors here than the typical rate paid nationwide.
Crime rates in Hawthorne are close to 25 percent above the average crime rates for major cities in the United States. Much of the local crime rate is property crime, such as vandalism and theft, while violent crime in Hawthorne remains close to the national average.
- Public transportation in Hawthorne is provided by the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro). Metro network buses and rail lines connect all of Hawthorne's neighborhoods with the surrounding urban sprawl, with steep discounts for seniors and mobility-impaired riders. Dial-a-ride services are available with same-day booking throughout the Los Angeles area.
- The Hawthorne area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Queen of the Valley Hospital and St. Joseph Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Hawthorne is part of Los Angeles County and as such is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hawthorne
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Hawthorne start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hawthorne and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hawthorne
Seniors in Hawthorne who need help paying for assisted living may be able to cover some or all of their costs through California's Medi-Cal Assisted Living Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hawthorne
Hawthorne and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hawthorne, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hawthorne
Hawthorne-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Hawthorne, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hawthorne
Review of Fonthill Gardens Inc
Fonthill Gardens was clean. The patients seemed to be happy and contented. They had activities, but the patient that I took there was not really able to participate in physical activities. The staf... Read more