93 Assisted Living Facilities near Torrance, CA
With an average cost of $3,122 in Torrance, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 57 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 39 facilities in Torrance.
39 Assisted Living Facilities in Torrance, CA
54 Assisted Living Facilities near Torrance, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Torrance
Torrance, California, is located in the South Bay region of Los Angeles County. Seniors — over 16 percent of the population — will find 60 assisted living facilities in the Torrance area, with 40 in Torrance and 20 dotting communities nearby.
Assisted living communities in California are called Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFE) and assist residents 60 years of age or older. The Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD) of the California Department of Social Services regulates these facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Torrance
- AreaVibes gives Torrance an A for weather due to mild winters, with January temperatures averaging 56 degrees Fahrenheit, and breezy summers, with July temperatures averaging 71 degrees Fahrenheit. The most monthly precipitation of 8.9 inches occurs in January.
- The air quality index in Torrance is 48 percent worse than the national average. This can make it difficult for seniors with respiratory conditions.
- California fully taxes retirement accounts and pensions. The state has some of the highest income tax rates in the U.S. Social Security retirement benefits are exempt, which gives seniors a bit of a break.
- The crime rate in Torrance is 18 percent lower than the U.S. average. For every 100,000 people in Torrance, there are 6.39 crimes that occur daily. AreaVibes gives the city a B+ for livability and reports that Torrance is safer than 52 percent of other U.S. cities.
- The cost of living in Torrance is 21 percent higher than the California average and 67 percent higher than the national average, scoring it an F on AreaVibes livability scale. The cost of housing is a shocking 195 percent higher than the U.S. average, and this affects the monthly cost of assisted living in the area, which may be difficult for seniors to afford on a fixed income.
Paying for Assisted Living in Torrance
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Torrance start around $3,122 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Torrance and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Torrance
Seniors who require financial assistance with an RCF can seek eligibility through the California Medicaid program. Low-income individuals who prefer to live in an RCF rather than a nursing home may also receive help through the Assisted Living Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Torrance
Torrance and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Torrance, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Torrance
Torrance-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Torrance, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Torrance
Review of Patricia's Elder Care
Patricia's Elder Care is nice and the people are friendly. I chose this place because I feel that my mom will be finally happy there and taken good care of. The dining area is nice, I haven't tried... Read more
Review of Spring Senior Assisted Living, LLC
We found this wonderful place for my elderly relative who had a small, well behaved pet who was welcomed here. Very unusual, but it worked out well. Services can be added as needed, such as extra h... Read more
Review of Sunrise Palos Verdes
The staff at Sunrise Palos Verdes was wonderful, friendly, and pleasant. I liked their security. The place was very clean and very beautiful. The people living there were taken care of very well. T... Read more