109 Assisted Living Facilities near Harbor City, CA
Also serving communities of Lomita.
There are 109 Assisted Living Facilities in the Harbor City area, with 4 in Harbor City and 105 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Harbor City is $2,866 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Carson with an average starting cost of $2,650.
To help you with your search, browse the 265 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Harbor City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Harbor City 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Harbor City, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Harbor City, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Harbor City
Harbor City is a small urban community in the larger Long Beach area, set right in the middle of a small peninsula and almost surrounded on three sides by the Pacific Ocean. This part of Southern California is home to 469,000 people, 10.5 percent of them seniors age 65 and over, and it hosts at least 122 assisted living facilities.
Like all residential care communities in the state, Harbor City's assisted living facilities are licensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Harbor City
- Harbor City has hot summers, when the average temperature reaches 84 degrees, but with cool sea breezes off the beach during the worst of the heat. This can take the edge off for seniors who are sensitive to high temperatures in the hottest months. Winters here average 46 degrees, and the town gets just a little over 12 inches of rain in a typical year.
- The cost of living in Harbor City is 79 percent above the national average, which is only slightly higher than California's average statewide cost of living, which is 69 percent higher than the national rate. Healthcare is relatively affordable in Harbor City, at roughly 15 percent below the national average.
- Harbor City has a relatively high crime rate in some categories of offense. Like the Long Beach community that surrounds it, Harbor City gets about 20 percent more property crimes than the national average, though violent crime here remains fairly uncommon.
Long Beach Transit provides regular bus routes around the area, with a couple of routes crossing through Harbor City. Seniors can ride the buses at a discount, as can students and riders with disabilities. The service also operates a Dial-a-Lift program for seniors who need scheduled rides outside of normal routes.
- The Harbor City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and Dignity Health - St. Mary Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Harbor City is part of Los Angeles County, which is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Harbor City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Harbor City start around $2,866 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Harbor City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Harbor City
Harbor City is in Los Angeles County, which is one of only 15 counties in California where seniors on Medicaid can qualify for the Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) program. This Medicaid waiver can help seniors pick up some or all of the cost of assisted living or home care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Harbor City
Harbor City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Harbor City, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Harbor City
Harbor City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Harbor City, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Harbor City
Review of Santa Fe Home Care III
The caregivers here is very kind and really showed the tender and loving care towards the patients here. The entire house is basically clean, good neighborhood and conducive environment to stay. EX... Read more