Torrance is a city in the South Bay region of the Los Angeles metropolitan area in the state of California. The city has a population of around 143,592, and about 17% of residents are aged 65 and older. Seniors living in Torrance have convenient access to medical facilities at the Torrance Memorial Medical Center, which is rated as high-performing in eight specialties and nine procedures by USN

Nursing home care provides full-time assistance and medical care to seniors with chronic conditions and those who are extremely frail. This type of care can be expensive, and seniors who don’t require a high level of care may want to look at alternative care options in Torrance such as assisted living and home care services. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average monthly cost of nursing home care in Torrance is $8,060, which is higher than the national average of $7,756.

This guide looks at the costs of nursing home care in Torrance and surrounding cities as well as the costs of alternative care options.

Note: Data for Torrance was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Los Angeles, was used instead.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Torrance, CA

Torrance Memorial Med Ctr Snf/dp

3330 WEST LOMITA BLVD, Torrance, CA, 90505

Torrance Memorial is a welcome place to be, good looking very clean, lot’s of activites.

Heritage Rehabilitation Center

21414 S Vermont Avenue, Torrance, CA, 90502

Sub par daily care. Physical Therapy was good however.
Sub par daily care. Physical Therapy was good however.

Del Amo Gardens

22419 Kent Avenue, Torrance, CA, 90505

Sunnyside Retirement Center

22617 South Vermont Ave, Torrance, CA, 90502

My mother is in Sunnyside (Sunnyside Retirement Center). It’s awesome. My mother loves it there. Their people really do care. They take good care of my mother. It’s a really nice community. They have … (read more)

Vermont Care Center

22035 S. Vermont Avenue, Torrance, CA, 90502

My dad was at Vermont Care Center. It was more like a hospital, but it was very nice and clean. The food was excellent, and my dad ate everything. All the people were very helpful and very informative … (read more)

The Earlwood

20820 EARL STREET, Torrance, CA, 90503

This place is absolutely awful. They only care about money. The only staff member that is wonderful is Brenda. Brenda deserves five stars for herself. This place deserves absolutely no stars. They wou … (read more)

Bay Crest Care Center

3750 GARNET STREET, Torrance, CA, 90503

Do Not Send Your Loved Ones!!! The staff there does not readily answer their phones so you can’t talk with your loved ones. They do not ensure that the patients get phone calls and at best simpl … (read more)

Driftwood Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center

4109 Emerald St, Torrance, CA, 90503

My mother was there for 23 days. In that time she developed pneumonia because of their lack of communication by their staff. She was left sitting on the edge of her bed for 3 hrs waiting to be changed … (read more)

Harbor Care Center

21521 S Vermont Avenue, Torrance, CA, 90502

I only rated this 1 star so my post would be seen. My mother was transferred there last night, for a 7-10 day PT stay, and we are already trying to get her moved. She potty chair was not cleaned aft … (read more)

Torrance Care Center East

4333 TORRANCE BLVD, Torrance, CA, 90503

This faclity does not care that their patients hanging out outside in an non-inclosed area YELLING obscene things all throughout the day and in the middle of the night. Living next to this faclity I o … (read more)

Royalwood Care Center

22520 MAPLE AVENUE, Torrance, CA, 90505

Royalwood Care Center was quite small. There was urine smell when we walked in, so I don’t think it was clean.

Lawndale Care Center

15100 Prairie Avenue, Lawndale, CA, 90260

Lawndale Care Center was excellent. My brother just passed away, but they took very good care of him. It was awesome.

Rosecrans Care Center

1140 WEST ROSECRANS AVENUE, Gardena, CA, 90247

I like that Rosecrans Care Center is very clean, and they seem to be very organized. The social worker who I’ve been working with has been very attentive to our needs prior to getting my mom placed th … (read more)

Gardena Convalescent Center

14819 South Vermont Avenue, Gardena, CA, 90247

This facility is great!! The food is very tasty. The accommodations are nice. Staff spend time and talk with me. The rehab department is excellent. The rehab staff are great. I’ve been doing therapy … (read more)

Centinela Valley Care Retirement

950 S Flower St, Inglewood, CA, 90301

Hawthorne Convalescent Center

11630 SOUTH GREVILLEA AVE., Hawthorne, CA, 90250

Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Center is a nice facility; I like it at least. The staff and the food are alright. We have everything, so it’s basically a cool environment.

Lomita Care Center

1955 W. LOMITA BLVD, Lomita, CA, 90717

My father is a patient, all in all I am very pleased with the staff, the physical rehab team is great. My only complaint is there does not appear to be adequate dietary supervision. My father is a dia … (read more)

Palos Verdes Health Care Cente

26303 WESTERN AVE., Lomita, CA, 90717

Palos Verdes staff is friendly, and the facility is clean. The nurses that were on duty seem attentive to the patients. They are just very caring, attentive, and gentle with my mom. They accommodate w … (read more)

Windsor Gardens of Hawthorne

13922 Cerise Avenue, Hawthorne, CA, 90250

My father was at Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Hawthorne. The facility had physical therapy and it was very clean. They had great customer service and gave attention to the residents. Althoug … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Torrance, California

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in Torrance is $8,060 for a semiprivate room and $10,570 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Seniors who have decided to look at nursing home care may be interested in the cost of care in nearby cities. Using the average monthly cost of a semiprivate room as a price comparison point, the cost of nursing home care in Torrance is higher than the national average of $7,756 but cheaper than the California state average of $9,247.

The average monthly costs of nursing home care in Oxnard ($8,365), Santa Maria ($9,962), Salinas ($9,566) and Santa Cruz ($9,201) are all higher than the average cost of care in Torrance.

$8060

Salinas

$9201

Santa Cruz

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Those seniors who are still unsure about moving to nursing home care may be interested in the average monthly costs of alternative care options in Torrance. The monthly average cost of adult day care is $1,647 while assisted living has an average monthly cost of $5,000. Home care and home health care services have an average monthly cost of $5,434 and $5,529, respectively. At the upper end of the cost scale, nursing home care has a monthly average cost of $8,060 for a semiprivate room and $10,570 for a private room.

$1647

$10570

Nursing home care private

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Torrance, California

Free Resources for Seniors in Torrance, California

The following information may be of interest to seniors who are looking for services that can help them safely age in place. One resource may be of use to seniors who have decided to make the move to nursing home care and are looking at financial assistance options.

ResourceContactService
Meals on Wheels(310) 542-3434Torrance-Lomita Meals on Wheels is a non-profit organization that provides meals to homebound seniors who are unable to prepare a meal for themselves and don’t have anyone able to assist them on a regular basis. There is a nominal charge for each meal, but financial assistance is provided to those who are unable to afford the fees. Volunteers deliver a hot meal at around noon each day from Monday to Friday. The volunteers provide a social check service and are able to report any issues to the relevant authorities.
Transportation(310) 618-6266The Torrance Senior Transit Program enables seniors to purchase credits for bus transportation at a discounted rate. The taxi option provides a door-to-door service for seniors who are no longer able to use public transport. Rides are charged at a flat fee, and financial assistance is available.
SHIP1-800-434-0222The SHIP program is funded by the federal government and the state of California. The program provides free and unbiased information on state health insurance plans and options. Counselors can assist seniors and their caregivers in finding the best plan for their particular situation and help them send in an application. In addition, the counselors can explain the financial assistance available to seniors who have decided to move to a nursing home care facility.