Hollenbeck Palms

Reviews of Hollenbeck Palms

Assisted Living Reviews for Hollenbeck Palms

July 30, 2018

By Paul

Hollenbeck Palms was beautiful. It's just that they wanted half a million dollars to get in. The staff was terrific. They have a bar and dance halls. They have somebody there in assisted living all the time, but you're not locked in your room, you can leave anytime. Everything was nice. They take you wherever you need to go.

Hi Paul, We actually have a rather flexible pricing structure to suite all pockets. Most of our apartments can be rented on a month to month basis, with no large entry fee needed, and rents as low as $3,500 per month. Happy to discuss further if you would like to revisit possibilities. Kind regards, The Marketing Team

October 21, 2016

By LS064275

Hollenbeck Palms was nice, and the staff seemed very helpful. The rooms seemed OK, and the dining area seems nice. They had 3 meals a day, and everything was nice and fine.

March 21, 2016

By Anonymous Los Angeles Resident

Hollenbeck Palms is one of the oldest facilities in Los Angeles. The facility was excellent, and the personnel seemed to be well qualified. The members from the independent care were very friendly and very happy with the facility and the food. Because it was an older facility, the rooms were very spacious, and the dining room was spacious and very pleasant. The food was excellent. They had a pool, gym, very nice library, and game room.

March 18, 2016

By AC2

Hollenbeck is a pretty nice place and well staffed. The building has been around for 100 years. They have several nice places to walk. They can cover the whole spectrum of issues with independent living and nursing staff that takes care of people if needed. For us, it’s pricey. If you want your laundry done, you pay for that or you could do it yourself. I thought the general atmosphere was nice. People weren’t running around smiling, but there was lots of space and nice dining facilities. They had other recreation facilities, like if you wanted to play games, and arranged trips. It had several buildings and was well landscaped.

February 21, 2016

By Ilan

Everything at Hollenbeck Palms, like the rooms and staff, was just average. The people looked old. It was not very nice.

We're very sorry your experience was out of the ordinary. We receive compliments daily on our beautiful community, lovely apartments and exceptional staff. Every community is different and will appeal to different people in a variety of ways or not. We encourage all of our guests to shop around and see what the competition offers. When you are fine tuning your decision making process don't forget to consider the many details that make a community exceptional: how long has the staff worked there on average; what is the staff to resident ratio; is the community financially stable;; what do the residents think of the community i.e. staff, activities, food, services, (it's very important to spend time with the residents and ask all the questions you may have). Please also see www.hollenbeckpalms.com and see the video "What Our Residents Say".

January 31, 2016

By M&M1

My cousin is at Hollenbeck Palms and the place is very nice. The grounds are very beautiful and the food is good. The people are very caring. They have a lot of activities but I don’t think he participates too much. He just reads the newspaper and watch T.V.

August 21, 2015

By Laurence3

Everything was good. I was impressed with Hollenbeck Palms. The rooms were very nice, and the food was OK. I didn't see many of the people; it was only during the lunch I had, but not in the facility. The staff was very nice, pleasant, polite, and caring, and they all sounded very good.

July 27, 2015

By HappyMomHappyMe

I cannot say enough good things about Hollenbeck Palms. Although they have been in operation for 125 years, they have kept the place immaculately groomed & up to date. The staff are well trained, friendly, & helpful. Everyone there goes above & beyond to make sure everyone is healthy, happy & comfortable. With 24 hour gated security, my mom feels safe . It was important for her to know she won't have to move again. If she ever needs assisted living, or even long term medical care, they will help devise an individual plan that will best fit her needs. There is a 24 hr nursing staff that help with screenings, or friendly reminders for daily medications to constant care. A doctor is always available. What made my mom feel most special was the way they helped her design & decorate her room exactly how she wanted it. They even had carpet & tile & paint samples to choose from. She wanted the ability to cook for herself sometimes, so they actually ordered & installed an entire kitchenette in her space. Living here has been like being in an oasis right in the middle of the city. She enjoys the day trips as well as fitness classes, movie night & many new friends. She wanted to keep her car, but has come to enjoy the weekly shopping trips on the Hollenbeck van. They even go to her favorite stores She has tried things she never imagined! We could not have imagined the new life she has found here. From everyone I've met, the experience has been better than expected. A bit expensive. But the peace of mind is well worth any sacrifice we made.

April 06, 2015

By Mary104178650

We visited Hollenbeck Palms. The staff was very good, very knowledgeable, and very helpful. The apartments were very nice. When you walked in, there was a bathroom to your left, and I believe it had railings and stuff to hold on. They had emergency buttons to press. It was a studio that we looked at. The dining room was very nice. The food was good. We ate at the bistro, and it was really good. The grounds were beautiful, and we saw a group of people walking.

February 25, 2015

Hollenbeck Palms is one of the best places around. The cost is a little bit steep, but I think it’s worth it. The staff was excellent, it’s clean, and it has a wonderful atmosphere. They have a lot of activities like dancing, music, bingo nights, movie nights, and outings. They have a computer room, and they even have an ice cream parlor. The grounds were beautiful, there were flowers and plants. It’s a very sunny, beautiful place. It was excellent, and it was one of the best I have ever seen.

January 20, 2015

By Shirley81689750

The staff at Hollenbeck Palms was wonderful. The dining area is very elegant, the facility was very large, and the rooms were spacious and well-appointed. The security was very good; we drove in, and there was a guard at the gate.

January 12, 2015

By Roberto2

We have moved my wife’s parents in Hollenbeck Palms this week. I like it for the fact that it is continuing care. They have three facilities, and I like them. It is gorgeous. It is very well-staffed. The caregivers and every aspect of the staff that we have encountered were great. We have tasted the food, and it was excellent. They have multiple choices in every meal. They have 3 or 4 different activities every day like memory work, tai chi classes, walking club, music events, movies, and ice cream parlor. They have a chapel, and they have Christian and Catholic services.

July 01, 2014

By Shlee

Very welcoming with options for care and plans for buy in. We will be taking mom for the complimentary lunch visit. I liked it for myself, will be leaving directives for my children to follow should I be in need.

May 10, 2014

Hollenbeck Palms was nice. The one who took us around, she was very nice, helpful, and informative. The rooms there were nice and clean. They had a therapy room, like a mini gymnasium, they had a chapel, and they also had a room like a library kind of thing where they can do handicrafts or just sit there and read a book.

February 28, 2014

Hollenbeck Palms was clean. The staff was very friendly and very accommodating. The rooms were very clean and very nice. That's why I decided to it would be good to settle then. The dining room was very large and clean with lots of tables. They had a lot of different activities there that a lot of people could relate to. There's a lot of music, a lot of interactive games like Sudoku, which I really love doing.

July 31, 2013

By Elizabeth20

Hollenbeck Palms is phenomenal. The facility and staff are outstanding. The environment and the meals are beyond incredible. The apartments are phenomenally well cared for. The activities are numerous. They are in wide variety and flexible topics. They have card games, movie and music activities. They have field trips to concerts, operas and theaters. They make arrangements for people to come to their facility as well as for the residents to go out to local venues. I am so pleased and lucky that my mom is there.

January 28, 2012

By RIPOPA

My grandfather moved to Hollenbeck Home once he started having trouble walking. At first he was very apprehensive but grew to love it. The Facility itself is gorgeous and offers many different activity's for the elderly. He was able to take an assortment of classes which kept him active and the nurses that handled his personal care were all very friendly and professional. He had countless options to fill his days and was also encouraged to try things I never thought he would ie. Karaoke and to my surprise table tennis. His personal living quarters were surprisingly roomy and had all the necessary safety and support implements. The have a game room, library, gym, pool hall, even a putting green plus many more amenities. His favorite was the ice creme parlor. Hollenbeck Homes allowed my grandfather to live the rest of his years in comfort and enjoyment and I thank them for that. I would recommend this care home to anyone.

November 07, 2011

By Caringsenior

I think Hollenbeck assisted living facility is a beautiful facility. While there, I witnessed the staff members taking care of the residences like they are their own family members. They place looks well taken care off, clean and organzied. They also have relaxation activities and the whole environment looks very welcoming. In general, I would rank this facility five out of five stars.

Independent Living Reviews for Hollenbeck Palms

September 29, 2015

I stayed at Hollenbeck Palms and I didn't like it because there were people coming in my room. The staff appeared to be nice, but I thought they were passive aggressive. The food was excellent, and the dining area was very nice. They had buffets for breakfast and dinner, and for lunch you had a sit-down meal. It was very well maintained and the people that worked there appeared to be very nice. The single room was nice. I wasn't there that long, but I had planned to participate in their activities. When people live in independent living and they don't need assistance from the nurses on a regular basis, they don't come in your room to see you there, like if you don't show up for lunch, etc.

Hollenbeck Palms, now celebrating its 125th Year of service to the Greater Los Angeles Community, successfully complies with all State regulations regarding the care and well being of our residents. It is very rare that a resident moves out dissatisfied. We wish you all the best. Hollenbeck Palms welcomes all prospective residents, their family members and friends to visit and talk to our residents who can share what their experience at Hollenbeck is and what was involved in their early transitional weeks.

Nursing Home Reviews for Hollenbeck Palms

Memory Care Reviews for Hollenbeck Palms

Questions about Hollenbeck Palms

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Hollenbeck Palms. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The overall population is alert and engaged, average age early 80s. Music and arts and crafts are popular past times

What programs or activities does Hollenbeck Palms offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have an extensive exercise program with daily classes, that include yoga and Tai Chi and a full gym. Music is much appreciated and we have enchanting classical concerts in our 100 year old Chapel that is used for music and meditation as well. Guest speakers from USC, UCLA and other institutions help to keep our residents mind sharp and we have in-house IT classes.

What places are near Hollenbeck Palms or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We have traditional Mexican restaurants and cafes within a short walk of this gentrified area. We are also a 9 minute drive to the Arts District of DTLA and have excellent Museums, Concert Halls, Theatres and restaurants nearby i.e. MOCA, The Disney concert Hall, Dorothy Chandler Theater, and top rated restaurants like Bavel, Cafe Gratitude, Manuela, Bestia

What transportation services does Hollenbeck Palms offer to assisted living residents?

Within 10 miles we can ferry our residents to medical appointments, errands, shopping etc. We also have organized shopping expeditions and cultural tours

What makes the chef or dining program at Hollenbeck Palms exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We have a very extensive menu, that takes in vegetarian options at our 2 venues: the Grand Dining Room and more casual Skyline Bistro. There is also a dietician on board to advise on dietary needs.

What safety features or security measures does Hollenbeck Palms offer to assisted living residents?

This is an eight and half acre, 24 hour gated community. In the apartments we have emergency pull cords and our staff are very vigilant about the health and safety of our residents.

How does Hollenbeck Palms keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

There is currently a weekly newsletter that goes to the families and the Member Services team keep families informed about their loved ones on a regular basis.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Hollenbeck Palms during daytime and nighttime hours?

We have about 174 resident and 166 staff members

If Hollenbeck Palms accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Cats and dogs are welcome, the latter only in Magnolia Court and we have about 8 outdoor cats that roam the grounds and are looked after by the pet committee

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

The staff receive on going training according to requirement and with the opening of our Memory Care Unit, the whole staff have been part of a year long training program run by the Dementia Whisperer, Laura Wyman a renowned international expert in Dementia matters.

Describe the neighborhood around Hollenbeck Palms. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Residential gentrified neighborhood

Is Hollenbeck Palms affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We have our own skilled nursing facility on campus, manned 24hours by a RN. We are also near Good Samaritan and White Memorial Hospitals. There are two doctors that hold their weekly surgery at Hollenbeck and we have a resident psychiatrist and psychologist on board.

Costs for Hollenbeck Palms

• Features Extra: Laundry Facilities, Game Rooms, Library, Art Studio

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Pharma

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Shopping, Ice Cream Parlor, Aerobics, Ballroom & Line Dancing, Computer Workshop, Movie

• Home Sale Assistance

• Date Certified: 10/01/2020

• Staff Patient Ratio: 6:1
  • Minimum Age: Minimum Age: 65

• Occupational Therapy
  • Range Of Services Extra: 24 Hour Nursing, Daily Newspaper, Check Writing/Cashing Services, U.S. Postal Services, Respiratory Therapy, Intravenous Therapy, Pain Management

Types of care

• Meal Preparation

• Licenses: RCFE
  • State Licenses: 191800001

About Hollenbeck Palms

Hollenbeck Palms is Southern California’s preeminent retirement community. Located on a gated 8 acre park-like campus with stunning views of Downtown Los Angeles and surrounding hills, Hollenbeck Palms provides the ideal mix of enjoyment, comfort and convenience along with Residential, Assisted Living and 24-Hour Nursing Care options all in one location. In its 124th year of sound management, Hollenbeck Palms is a MUST SEE, award winning community.

For more than a century, older adults have enjoyed Hollenbeck's vibrant lifestyle and amenities including stimulating and rewarding activities, delicious meals, transportation to medical appointments, shopping, travel destinations and cultural outings to world class venues throughout the Greater Los Angeles area. Hollenbeck Palms is a community where friendships grow as personal interests are pursued.

As a Continuing Care Retirement Community, Hollenbeck Palms provides residential living, assisted residential living and skilled nursing services in one location.

As a Continuing Care Retirement Community, Hollenbeck Palms provides residential living, assisted residential living and skilled nursing services at one locations.

Map of Hollenbeck Palms