88 Assisted Living Facilities near Riverside, CA
With an average cost of $3,077 in Riverside, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 107 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 38 facilities in Riverside.
38 Assisted Living Facilities in Riverside, CA
50 Assisted Living Facilities near Riverside, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Riverside
Riverside, California, located in the county of the same name in the state's Inland Empire, is just an hour east of Los Angeles but vastly different in lifestyle. The city is home to 39 assisted living facilities with an additional 23 available to seniors in nearby towns. Assisted living facilities in Riverside are overseen by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division. That agency groups assisted living communities with other senior living facilities under the umbrella of "Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly" (RCFEs). RCFE's are monitored by the state to ensure they provide adequate nutrition services, oversee health issues, provide assistance for activities of daily living, and protect the safety, security and dignity of all residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Riverside
- Riverside enjoys a moderately temperate climate that tends to be warmer than Los Angeles but cooler than Palm Springs. The city experiences highs in the low-to-mid 90s during the summer with winter lows in the lower 40s.
- The Riverside Transit Authority is a robust transportation organization that offers many different routes within Riverside on clean fuel buses, as well as connections to surrounding towns in the county and to the LA area. Fares for seniors are very low, and seniors also have access to the RTA Dial-a-Ride program.
- Riverside, like many areas in California, has consistently poor air quality levels, receiving an F from the American Lung Association. Seniors with compromised lung functions should take care to wear masks on poor air quality days and stay indoors as much as possible.
- Riverside also experiences the same high levels of property crimes as many other California cities, topping both state and national averages because of offenses including theft and burglary. Violent crime rates are also slightly higher than state and national averages.
- Riverside is full of amenities for its 300,000+ residents, including the California Citrus State Historic Park, the California Museum of Photography, the Fox Performing Arts Center and the University of California Riverside Botanic Gardens. Seniors can utilize RTA buses to access many of these cultural must-sees.
- Seniors in Riverside can stretch their incomes a bit further than older residents in some other states due to several tax breaks, including California's lack of income tax on social security earnings and the Senior Income Tax Exemption Credit.
Paying for Assisted Living in Riverside
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Riverside start around $3,077 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Riverside and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Riverside
The California Department of Health Care Services operates the Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) program, which is a Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waiver to allow seniors eligible for Medi-Cal to access funding assistance for assisted living facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Riverside
Riverside and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Riverside, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Riverside
Riverside-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Riverside, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Riverside
Review of Sunrise at Canyon Crest
I went to Sunrise at Canyon Crest. The only thing that comes to mind is how expensive the place is. That knocked me over. It was very clean and very beautiful. The staff members were very nice and ... Read more
Review of Welbrook Arlington
I liked Welbrook Arlington. It was pretty nice, and what I liked is that even if one of your parents is in assisted living and one in memory care, they could still have meals together. The model ro... Read more
Review of Welbrook Arlington
I would recommend Welbrook Arlington over the other places. It's an awesome place, and very nice. The staff was amazing, very caring, and sympathetic. It would have been a really nice place for my ... Read more