16 Independent Living Communities near Riverside, CA

2016

Citrus Place

7858 California Ave, Riverside, CA, 92504

Welcoming and pleasant, Welbrook Arlington offers studio, one-bedroom and companion suite apartments for those searching for assisted living. Situated in Riverside, California, this facility is home t … (read more)

Westmont Village

17050 Arnold Drive, Riverside, CA, 92518

Westmont Village has everything. It’s a nice facility. We’re very happy with it. Everything was very well kept. It was built years back with the military in mind. It was a place where officers would r … (read more)

2018, 2019

Magnolia Grand

8537 Magnolia Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92504

My mother has been at Magnolia Grand. They’re very attentive and definitely good about their communication. They have lots of amenities. Her room is spacious for a studio, and they offer cleaning serv … (read more)

The Grove Assisted & Independent Living

3401 Lemon St., Riverside, CA, 92501

It has skilled nursing, assisted living, and independent living. I had been in the skilled nursing part following several surgeries and so I’m aware of this community. It is right downtown, which is c … (read more)

Riverside Country Club Mobile

9391 California Ave, Riverside, CA, 92503

Riverside Country Club Mobile was small but the grounds were very well kept up. We’ve spoken to the manager several times, and she’s a very nice lady. I like it because it’s small and I know exactly w … (read more)

J.E. Wall Victoria Manor

4660 Victoria Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92507

What a find! This is low income senior housing apartment style living centrally located in Riverside Calif. Beautiful grounds! Looks new! Gated! Safe! Many activities to encourage the residents to … (read more)

Vintage at Snowberry

8426 Colorado Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92504

I am in Vintage at Snowberry. It is a fairly new community with big apartments that are very reasonable. We have new appliances and a thousand square feet for $900 a month with two bedrooms and two ba … (read more)

Victoria Springs Apartments

2801 Adams St, Riverside, CA, 92504

I love it here. The bedroom is very large with a beautiful walk in closet. My second bedroom has a huge closet with built ins as well. I love my patio and the grounds here are spectacular. It is well … (read more)

Creekside Senior Apartments

4291 Monroe Boulevard, Riverside, CA, 92504

Creekside Senior Living is brand new and very nice. Their rooms are nice, and the food is great, because we had a meal there. It’s a very nice place, but the problem is that it’s a little higher than … (read more)

Overture Riverwalk 55+ Apartment Homes

4725 Sierra Vista Ave, Riverside, CA, 92505

I visited Overture Riverwalk 55+ Apartment Homes and I liked it a lot. I wish it were a little closer and Orange County would be better, but I really liked it. I spoke to somebody a couple of days ago … (read more)

Villa Magnolia Senior Mobile Home Park

3500 Buchanan St, Riverside, CA, 92503

Villa Magnolia was very clean. My first impression is that there were too many mobile homes in there for me; it was over 200. The grounds were very well kept. All you can see is the front of the mobil … (read more)

2018, 2020, 2022

Estancia Del Sol

2489 California Avenue, Corona, CA, 92881

Located in Corona, California, Estancia Del Sol is close to Interstate 15, Santana Regional Park and Aspen Medical Group. According to visitors, the staff members are very helpful, and the facility’s … (read more)

Loma Linda Springs

11171 Oakwood Drive, Loma Linda, CA, 92354

Loma Linda Springs is a 55 and over community. It was nice. It’s cheaper than the other place I visited. The apartments were just as nice, you just don’t get any meals included in it. The people were … (read more)

Country Village Apartments

10250 Country Club Drive,, Mira Loma, CA, 91752

Country Village Apartments was nice. I like that it’s spacious and very clean. It’s not a crowded place. It’s a big community. The office people were very nice. Inside the community, they have a medic … (read more)

Linda Valley Villa

11075 Benton Street, Loma Linda, CA, 92354

Linda Valley Villa is great. My mother has been living there for a long time. It’s a great place. I thought the food was OK, although my mom doesn’t like it, but she’s very picky. They’ve got a lot of … (read more)

Casa Grande Senior Apartments

801 Magnolia Avenue, Corona, CA, 92879

I came from a senior apartment called Casa Grande Senior Apartments, but when my husband passed, I came here to Arizona. It had from one-bedrooms to two-bedrooms. It’s gated. It’s a very comfortable p … (read more)

What to Expect in an Independent Living Community

Many seniors love how independent living communities reduce unwanted stress, hazards, and fatigue in their lives. Independent living communities take care of housekeeping, yard work and meals while still allowing residents personal space and the dignity of making their own choices. These communities usually provide seniors with an apartment that has a small kitchen, bathroom, living room, and one or more bedrooms. Those who want a small space may even find that some independent living communities offer studio-style apartments. Seniors can invite guests over and enjoy their rooms however they see fit.

Independent living communities often also include the following:

• Numerous opportunities for socializing and exploring new activities
  • Easy access to public or community-provided transportation
  • Meal plans for community dining as well as kitchens for seniors who like preparing their own meals
  • The ability to keep small- and medium-size pets such as dogs and cats
  • Housekeeping, laundry and groundskeeping services
  • 24-hour staff on-site who can be contacted if a problem arises

For a more detailed look at common amenities, check out our guide to independent living communities.

What Couples Should Know About Independent Living in Riverside, CA

Weather that makes Riverside the home of the naval orange industry is only one of the things that makes independent living here a pleasant experience. Seniors can enjoy tasting oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruit on a tour of the California Citrus State Historic Park, or enjoy the manicured orange trees that line downtown streets. For those who love gardens, the University of California Riverside’s 39-acre Botanic Gardens has rose, herb and cactus gardens, as well as numerous flowers, grasses and shrubs.

The art scene is vibrant in Riverside, where theater-goers can take in film screenings at the Culver Centre of the Arts, enjoy comedic sketches, musical performances and dance productions at the Fox Performing Arts Center, or just relax at a drive-in movie at the Van Buren Drive-In Theater. A couple of unique outings include a stroll along the ever-growing and colorful trail of murals that lead to the Graffiti Waterfall, or dressing-up in old-Brit style to attend the yearly Dickens Festival. Getting around Riverside is easy for seniors with lots of transportation options.

Paying for Independent Living in Riverside, CA

Independent living in Riverside costs an average of $1,871 per month, which is less than both the California average of $3,300 and the national average of $2684. Saving money in a beautiful city is appealing to many seniors.

The annual cost of living in an independent living community can range anywhere from $12,000-$42,000, depending mostly on the amenities, room type and cost of living in the area. In addition to using personal retirement income, annuities, long-term care insurance, or cashing out an existing life insurance policy, some seniors can use Social Security funds, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments granted due to disability or low-income or HUD-provided housing assistance such as vouchers. Another route many seniors choose to fund their independent living stay is renting out or selling their homes that they won’t need once they move or taking advantage of a reverse mortgage

Our guide provides a more in-depth look at independent living costs and solutions for those who want to learn more.

How to Choose an Independent Living Community

When choosing an independent living community, it’s best to consider many factors, including the community’s proximity to loved ones and medical care, the state of repair that the facility appears to be in, the attitude and efficiency of the staff, the cost of both rent and services, the facility’s pet policy and more.

Comparing multiple communities can help seniors and their families figure out what they value most in an independent living community. During tours of these communities, staff members should be available to answer questions. To help with the touring and comparison process, we’ve included a checklist full of pertinent questions that anyone can download and print for themselves.

Transitioning to Independent Living

Independent living communities, rather than memory care or nursing homes, are often the first place seniors move to when they realize they need a lifestyle change. The necessity of letting some possessions go and the reality of leaving a home and neighborhood after possibly decades of residence there can make transitioning to an independent living community difficult. These communities are often friendly places, but being in a new environment still initially triggers feelings of loneliness in many seniors.

Having a strategy for dealing with the challenges of moving can make the transition to an independent living community a positive experience. We’ve created a downloadable step-by-step guide for tips to making this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Independent Living Resources in Riverside, CA

There are many other resources and activities for seniors in Riverside. Use the table below to learn about the options available for older adults in the area.

ResourcePhone Number Description
Riverside County Office on Aging Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (760) 771-0501 For seniors wanting to give back to their community, the Riverside County Office on Aging has a Volunteer Coordinator who will work with seniors to explore volunteer opportunities in the community. Some training and support services for volunteers are available through this organization.
Janet Goeske Foundation and Senior Center (951) 351-8800 The Janet Goeske Foundation and Senior Center provides over 200 programs, classes and support groups for seniors in Riverside. Programs include exercise, dance and crafts, as well as specialized learning activities such as cooking demos and Italian classes  All programs are free or low cost. There are also volunteer opportunities at the center as well as a Senior Advisor who can provide assistance with issues facing seniors.
City of Riverside Special Transportation for Seniors and Disabled (951) 687-8080This service provides seniors with rides to the mall, doctor’s appointments, group events, seniors centers or just to visit friends from anywhere in the city to some nearby communities.
Community Connect (951) 686-4402 Community Connect offers a variety of programs of interest to seniors, as well as volunteer opportunities. Community Connect 2-1-1 allows callers to receive up-to-date health care referrals and information on health resources. The Shared Housing Program helps home seekers to find a home compatible with their needs.