Orange County is the second-most densely populated county in California, with around 3.1 million residents. It has a thriving senior community that makes up 15.3% of its total population, as well as a wide array of elder-friendly amenities and health care options. As home to several prestigious universities, the county has a variety of high-quality medical care facilities, including the UCLA Medical Center, which is rated the best in the state and fourth in the entire country.

In Orange County, a semiprivate room in a nursing home costs an average of $8,060 per month. According to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, this is slightly higher than the national average. Since nursing homes typically offer high levels of care by on-staff nurses and 24/7 aides, they are generally the most expensive care option. Seniors may be able to find similar levels of care at lower costs in an assisted living community or from a home health care service.

The following guide will explain the costs of nursing homes and other types of care throughout Orange County. It also lists free resources designed to support local seniors.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Orange County, CA

Extended Care Hospital of Westminster

206 Hospital Circle, Westminster, CA, 92683

The nursing staff and social worker took fantastic care of my Mother in Law. They were very kind and patient with her. She was significantly under weight upon her arrival and they were able to get h … (read more)

West Anaheim Extended Care

645 South Beach Blvd, Anaheim, CA, 92804

The staff was friendly and caring. The room was clean and nice. Food was well prepared and tasty. My dad felt that he was getting wonderful care. He had daily physical therapy treatments and made … (read more)

Park Vista Health Center

2525 N. Brea Blvd., Fullerton, CA, 92835

2016, 2017

Rowntree Gardens

12151 Dale Street, Stanton, CA, 90680

Located in Stanton, California, Rowntree Gardens is nestled next to Premier Park and the Playa Galleria Shopping Center. Residents and their families praise the facility’s friendly staff, homelike i … (read more)

The Covington

3 Pursuit, Aliso Viejo, CA, 92656

Mom was at The Covington for about 21 days. It was really nice, very pretty, and very elegant. They had the nicest people there. She had really good, skilled nursing. I didn’t get to talk to the docto … (read more)

Meridian At Laguna Hills

24552 Paseo De Valencia, Laguna Hills, CA, 92653

Alta Gardens Care Center

13075 Blackbird Street, Garden Grove, CA, 92843

This is Mrs Ponce I had a good experience, everyone tratme so well nursing very professional and friendly Elvira, Cam, Cristal, franchise, Carolina & everybody thank you so much specially food s … (read more)

Coventry Court Health Center

2040 South Euclid Street, Anaheim, CA, 92802

My mom was in a skilled nursing home called Coventry Court Health Center. They were excellent. It was like walking into a hotel. There was never a smell or anything. It was just excellent. The staff w … (read more)

Mission Palms Healthcare Center

240 Hospital Circle, Westminster, CA, 92683

I have been in this facility for 24 days after knee surgery -it was very nice team working together, very clean, well caring for all patients – I appreciate all what they done for me & I notice th … (read more)

Sea Cliff Healthcare Center Nursing Home

18811 Florida Street, Huntington Beach, CA, 92648

We were forced by the hospital to come here. The hospital told me this was “the only bed”. However, I had a bed, and they never called the place back. Then I went to another place, they knew who I … (read more)

Signature HealthCARE of Chapel Hill

1602 East Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC, 27514

I fell out of my wheelchair in the courtyard this evening. First I want to that the resident’s that saw my fall and alerted the staff. The staff responded quickly and I was back in my chair in a fe … (read more)

Anaheim Crest Nursing Center

3067 W Orange Avenue, Anaheim, CA, 92804

My mother was a resident of Anaheim Crest Nursing Center, it was an excellent place, and I liked them a lot. The staff was real nice and friendly, and they have a lot of activities for the residents. … (read more)

La Palma Nursing Center

1130 LA PALMA AVE, Anaheim, CA, 92801

The hospital took my mom to La Palma Nursing Center. It’s a small facility, but she likes it there very much because it was very clean and orderly. The staff were very friendly. They talk to her and t … (read more)

Newport Specialty Hospital D/P Snf

14662 Newport Avenue, Tustin, CA, 92780

This is a 135 Bed acute care Nursing Killed Hospital for seniors. They are well staffed by true well educated professionals. All are attentive and most of all compassionate. The facility is very clea … (read more)

Park Regency Care Center

1770 W. LA HABRA BLVD., La Habra, CA, 90631

She’s in Park Regency Retirement Home. It’s very good. The difficulty with them right now in my mother’s current condition is that she’s isolated in a room at the end of the hallway. She had d … (read more)

St Jude Medical Center D/p Snf

101 E VALENCIA MESA DRIVE, Fullerton, CA, 92835

My father stayed in St. Jude Medical Center rehab for 2 weeks. It’s an acute rehab within an acute care hospital. It’s a very well respected program, and the staff was very good. They have very fe … (read more)

Stanley Healthcare Center

14102 SPRINGDALE STREET, Westminster, CA, 92683

Helena was a resident at Stanley several years. This was the 4 resident care facility I had my mother in and the only one that took excellent care of her to the end of her life. While she was resi … (read more)

Brighton Gardens Of Yorba Lind

17803 IMPERIAL HIGHWAY, Yorba Linda, CA, 92886

I was very impressed with Brighton Gardens’ facility and staff; and especially their patient-specific Memory Care program. My client has been here for almost a year – and I have seen an improvement ra … (read more)

Walnut Village Rehabilitation and Care Center

1401 W Ball Road, Anaheim, CA, 92802

Walnut Village was like a hotel or a resort from the entry and the amenities they had. They had a swimming pool, an exercise room, and entertainment at night. It was very plush. The rooms are a little … (read more)

Flagship Healthcare Center

466 FLAGSHIP ROAD, Newport Beach, CA, 92663

I had surgery I had to return to the ER/hospital for 5 days I was in another facility which did not care for me properly. I switched to FLAGSHIP and was delighted. They ALL were caring and professio … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Orange County, California

A semiprivate room in an Orange County nursing home costs an average of $8,060 and a private room averages $10,570.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

A semiprivate room in a nursing home in Orange County costs $8,060 per month, which is higher than the national average of $7,756 and lower than the state average of $9,247.

Residents of California nursing homes can expect higher prices in San Diego, where a semiprivate room averages $10,722. Costs are even higher in San Francisco, which has a median cost of $12,471 per month. In Sacramento, the state capital, seniors can expect to pay $9,946 for this level of care.

$8060

San Diego

$12471

San Francisco

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

As nursing homes generally have the highest fees, seniors may find it useful to consider alternatives. For example, assisted living averages only $5,000 per month, and some communities offer comparable care to that of nursing homes. Another option is a home health aide, which costs an average of $5,529, or homemaker services, which can cost around $5,434. The least expensive option is adult day health care, which costs an average of $1,647 per month.

$5434

Adult day health care

$5000

Assisted living

$8060

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$10570

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Orange County was unavailable, so data for the nearest city to the county seat, Los Angeles, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Orange County, California

Free Resources for Seniors in Orange County, California

Whether staying at home or transitioning into a long-term care environment, seniors in Orange County may be able to make use of the following free resources.

ResourceContact Service
OC Office on Aging(714) 480-6450
This Agency on Aging offers a variety of educational and social services that can help seniors remain safe in place, including home-delivered meals, chronic disease management classes and wellness checkups. Seniors can also get help applying for health insurance and finding a long-term care environment that suits their needs.
Orange Senior Center(714) 538-9633Seniors looking to stay in their homes can take advantage of myriad nutrition programs, which include congregate and home-delivered meals and a grocery distribution program. Care needs assessments, legal aid and transportation services are available here. This senior center also offers free medical screenings and fitness classes which can help elders remain fit, socially engaged and independent.
North Orange County Vet Center(714) 776-0161This federally run department offers financial aid, health care and mental wellness services to veterans and their spouses. A transportation program helps veterans get to and from VA medical appointments. This organization offers life insurance and pensions, as well as financial assistance for medical and housing costs.
Meals on Wheels Orange County(714) 220-0224In addition to healthy home-delivered meals, Meals on Wheels offers care needs assessments, telephone support and housing and medical care placement services. This volunteer-run nonprofit also operates adult day health care centers where seniors can access enriching activities in a medically supervised environment.