4 Assisted Living Facilities near Sonora, CA
Also serving communities of Jamestown, El Dorado.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sonora area, with 2 in Sonora and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Sonora is $2,995 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Angels Camp with an average starting cost of $2,100.
To help you with your search, browse the 11 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sonora. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sonora 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Oakdale with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sonora, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Sonora, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sonora
Sonora is a small city of less than 5,000 people nestled in the Sierra Nevada Foothills. Over 16 percent of the population is aged 65 and over, and the senior population is served by two assisted living facilities in the city and another two in the nearby communities of Jamestown and Angel Camp. Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs) in Sonora, as in the rest of California, are licensed and monitored by the Department of Social Services, Senior Care Licensing Program.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sonora
- The Sonora area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Adventist Health Sonora, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Sonora has a pleasant year-round climate, with winter lows around 34 degrees Fahrenheit, and highs in July averaging 92 degrees. The city has 262 sunny days each year, which enables seniors to spend time outside enjoying the Californian sunshine.
- Public transport in Sonora is provided by Tuolumne County Transit. Seniors are eligible for a discounted fare and can also use the Dial-a-Ride service for origin to destination transport.
- The cost of living in Sonora is 12 percent higher than the U.S. average. Groceries and health care costs are higher than the Californian average, which may impact the budgets of seniors, but transportation is significantly less expensive than the state average.
- Seniors in Sonora have to pay income tax on money received from pensions and retirement funds. People who receive income from Social Security don't have to pay tax on this money, but their budgets will still be impacted by sales tax which is among the highest in the nation.
- Sonora has an extremely high crime rate, and is less safe than 99 percent of U.S. communities. The property crime rate is 79.83 per 1,000 residents, over three times higher than the state average. Violent crime is also higher than the Californian average, occurring at a rate of 5.81 incidents per 1,000 residents. Seniors should consider these statistics when making the decision to make Sonora their home.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sonora
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Sonora start around $2,995 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sonora and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sonora
California's Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) is only available in limited counties and is not an option for seniors in Sonora. However, seniors who receive income from Social Security may be able to get financial assistance from the Optional State Supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sonora
Sonora and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sonora, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sonora
Sonora-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sonora
Review of Skyline Place
Skyline Place was a pretty and nice-looking community. We enjoyed the tour. It was well kept and clean. We liked it a lot. The young lady was very knowledgeable, very kind, helpful, and answered a ... Read more
Review of Skyline Place
My father wanted to be in Sonora, so we chose Skyline Place. He's in a one-bedroom mini-suite, he has a partial kitchen, a living/dining area, and a bedroom. They feed him three times a day, housek... Read more
Review of Skyline Place
The services at Skyline Place are great. We had no problem getting my father moved in and communicating with them. The facility is clean and bright. The residents are very well cared for. The peopl... Read more