24 Assisted Living Facilities near Mill Valley, CA
There are 24 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mill Valley area, with 2 in Mill Valley and 22 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 73 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mill Valley. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mill Valley 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Corte Madera with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mill Valley, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Mill Valley, CA
22 Assisted Living Facilities near Mill Valley, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mill Valley
Mill Valley is a residential community on the scenic Marin Headlands, north of the city of San Francisco and at the approach to the Golden Gate Bridge. This suburban town of just 14,000 people is home to around 3,000 seniors age 65 and over, with 24 assisted living facilities in and around the sprawling hills for those who can live independently with help from trained staff.
Mill Valley's assisted living facilities, like similar communities throughout California, are licensed through the the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mill Valley
- Weather in Mill Valley is a little warmer and more variable than that of San Francisco. Summer highs here average 81 degrees, while winter lows average 42 degrees. Being this close to both the ocean and the bay, Mill Valley gets a little more than 35 inches of rain a year. This rain causes the Headlands to bloom in spring and can raise allergens seniors with asthma may find troubling.
- The cost of living in Mill Valley is more than three times the national average. The median home cost here is over $1.5 million, which is several times higher than both the national median and that of California. Healthcare is, by contrast, relatively affordable, at just 92 percent the average national cost.
- Crime rates in Mill Valley are less than one-third the national average. Some theft occurs, but violent crime remains very rare.
- Public transportation in Mill Valley is provided by Marin Transit, which operates multiple bus routes through the area. Transit services throughout the San Francisco Bay Area is provided by Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART). Both services offer senior discounts for riders age 62 and over with a valid transit ID. Dial-a-ride and assisted transportation are available for riders with disabilities.
- The Mill Valley area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Kentfield Hospital and Marin General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Mill Valley, as part of Marin County, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mill Valley
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Mill Valley start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mill Valley and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mill Valley
Seniors in Mill Valley can get help with some or all of the cost of assisted living through the state Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mill Valley
Mill Valley and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mill Valley, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mill Valley
Mill Valley-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Mill Valley, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mill Valley
Review of The Redwoods
Frankly, I don't want more people to get on the waiting list of The Redwoods because I really like it. Their facilities are lovely, there's a safe way across the way, and it's surrounded by field o... Read more
Review of The Redwoods
The Redwoods was a beautiful place. The staff was amazing. There were tons of activities to do, and it was in a convenient location. We saw a studio. It was nice, it had a balcony, but it didn't ha... Read more
Review of The Redwoods
The Redwoods was in a good location because it's only a few minutes from where my family lives. It seemed rundown to me, so I wasn't too impressed. I saw a very small room. The people seemed happy,... Read more