San Francisco is an eclectic bayside city with a lively array of historical, natural and gastronomic attractions. It has a population of around 815,000 people but is part of the bustling bay area, which is home to 7 million people. San Francisco seniors have easy access to world-class health care and cultural attractions.

San Francisco also has a range of assisted living facilities, ranging from small homes to large retirement villages. These communities are ideal for seniors who want help with daily tasks like cooking, cleaning and personal care. Generally, the staff is available 24/7 to monitor the health and comfort of residents. This type of care costs $6,319 per month, which is higher than national and state averages.

This guide helps seniors decide whether assisted living is the right choice for them. It discusses the pros and cons of living in San Francisco as well as the expected costs. The guide also outlines the cost of other types of care and the area’s resources for seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in San Francisco, CA

Coterie Cathedral Hill

Coterie Cathedral Hill was a beautiful facility. The people were very nice. The food was excellent. Everything was nice there, but it was just too expensive. The lady who gave me the tour was very nic … (read more)

The Village at Hayes Valley

The Village at Hayes Valley, located in San Francisco, California, provides residents with highly-trained assisted living and memory care. The facility itself offers a smaller, more personal feel that … (read more)

Heritage on the Marina

I saw Heritage on the Marina for the fourth time now. It’s a three-tiered community with independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing. I like the cleanliness, the friendliness, the knowl … (read more)

2015

The Ivy at Golden Gate

The Ivy at Golden Gate was very nice. They had a lot of activities, including outings. The menu that I saw looked very good. The staff who gave me the tour was very good. The rooms looked OK. They had … (read more)

The Carlisle, Ivy Signature Living

My parents are now in the assisted living of The Carlisle, and our experience so far has been very good. We’re very satisfied and happy with it. The meal I had there was quite good, and they had a ver … (read more)

Ivy Park at Cathedral Hill

The people at Ivy Park at Cathedral Hill seemed very nice. There’s diversity of people, residents, and staff there, which I think is important. It’s a very pretty place. The sizes of the rooms were no … (read more)

Buena Vista Manor House

My brother moved to Buena Vista Manor House. Location is important to us and so we chose that place because it is centrally located for our family in San Francisco. It’s an intimate facility. It’s not … (read more)

Portola Gardens

Portola Gardens was a terrible place. The lady who assisted me with the tour was very nice, but the place was just really bad. It stunk. The rooms were extremely small. It didn’t meet any of my requir … (read more)

Sagebrook Senior Living at San Francisco

I liked that Sagebrook Senior Living at San Francisco had really beautiful gardens that the people and visitors could walk. Their gardens were inside so nobody from the outside could be part of it. It … (read more)

Rhoda Goldman Plaza

Rhoda Goldman Plaza of California is the premier choice for seniors in the San Francisco area. Located in the heart of the city, near Golden Gate Park, Rhoda Goldman offers assisted living services. T … (read more)

The Sequoias San Francisco

I was looking for a facility for myself and I had visited Sequoias – San Francisco. This facility is on the top of a hill; a bit far, but it’s a nice place anyway. The staff seemed very good.

AlmaVia of San Francisco

We toured AlmaVia of San Francisco, which is a much larger community. They have various amenities and activities to offer, because they have independent living, assisted living, memory care, and hospi … (read more)

Kimochi Home

Kimochi Home is a senior living center that caters to the Japanese-American community as well. Most of the staff speaks Japanese and the food served is also Japanese. The people tend to be a bit older … (read more)

San Francisco Towers

I truly liked this care facility. The staff there was very professional and took great care of my great grandmother, but they also gave her time and space to herself. While we were there, she needed … (read more)

Julie’s Care Home

My sister has been living in Julie’s Care Home for eight years now. They helped her with showering, and taking care of her medications. They feed her and they’re careful about her diet, and they get h … (read more)

Frank Residences

My parents moved into the Frank Residences last November. I think it’s a very good community. I think it’s very well-run, well-managed, clean and very, very good. My parents are very, very happy there … (read more)

The Avenue

Although this place was more expensive than other facilities in San Francisco that my family looked at, we have learned that you get what you pay for. My grandmother has great and constant care from t … (read more)

Janet’S Residential Facility For The Elderly

My wife and I were very pleased with the care her father received from the time he entered dementia until his recent passing. They were always very attentive to their guests. Very fortunate find for … (read more)

San Francisco Campus for Jewish Living

San Francisco Campus for Jewish Living is so large, and my friend has a tendency to feel completely lost. They showed me a studio. It’s quite good, but there was an industrial sense of the whole place … (read more)

Kokoro Assisted Living

My friend is in Kokoro Assisted Living in Japantown. Overall, it’s very good, but I think the only complaint, and it’s a common one, is the food. They’re working on improving things though, but right … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living in San Francisco

Since most COVID-19 rules for Assisted Living Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Assisted Living in CA. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in San Francisco

In San Francisco and the rest of California, assisted living facilities are overseen by the state Department of Social Services, which operates the California Senior Care Licensing Program. This program is designed to ensure that long-term care homes are compliant with state senior care standards.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in San Francisco

• In San Francisco, there are 441 physicians per 100,000 people, which is higher than the national average of 210 per 100,000. This means that seniors have easy access to health care.
  • The city is home to some of the country’s best hospitals, including the UCSF Health Medical Center, which has especially high ratings in the neurosurgery and neurology specialties.
  • The cost of living in San Francisco is very high compared to other American cities, scoring 269.3 points on a cost of living scale compared to the national benchmark of 100. However, utility costs are slightly lower than average, at 97.5.
  • Sunny San Francisco gets warm summers and no snow in the winter, making it easy for seniors to get around. The city gets 259 sunny days per year compared to the national average of 205.
  • The violent crime rate in San Francisco is a little higher than the U.S. average, at 39.6 compared to 22.7. Fortunately, most assisted living facilities have high-quality security measures in place to protect their residents.

Paying for Assisted Living in San Francisco

In San Francisco, seniors pay an average of $6,319 per month for assisted living. This price is higher than the California average, which comes to $5,240 per month. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey, assisted living in San Francisco is also more expensive than the national median price of $4,500 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Assisted living prices in San Francisco are high, but Santa Rosa has even higher prices, at $7,048 per month. In Sacramento, seniors pay $5,225 per month for assisted living. Costs are lower in central city Madera, which averages $3,828. Finally, in Stockton, assisted living has a median cost of $3,649 per month.

$6319

Sacramento

$7048

Santa Rose

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

It may also be helpful for seniors to consider the costs and services available with other types of long-term care. Adult day health care is much more affordable than assisted living, averaging $1,950 per month. Homemaker services average $6,864, and a home health aide is a little costlier, at $7,150. Nursing homes offer the most intensive care at the highest prices, with a semiprivate room averaging $11,566.

$6864

Adult Day Health Care

$6319

Assisted Living Facility

$11566

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in San Francisco

San Francisco, and California as a whole, is focused on keeping seniors in their own homes for as long as possible. Financial help in paying for assisted living facilities is extremely limited when compared to in-home or nursing home care as a result of this statewide policy. The Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) program is available in San Francisco for people with full-scope Medi-Cal eligibility, although this does not cover all aspects of assisted living.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in California

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in San Francisco

In San Francisco, there are several governmental agencies and nonprofit organizations that offer free services to seniors. These can range from information to transportation, and some of them are listed below.

Resource

Contact

Service

As the local Area Agency on Aging, this organization runs a central resource hub where seniors can get connected to benefits and assistance. This organization provides a wide range of social and educational activities and also offers adult protective services. Seniors can also access a public guardian and other types of advocacy.

This legal aid office provides pro-bono assistance and legal education to people in need. Legal clinics cover topics such as consumer rights, debt, housing rights and personal protection. Attorneys can assist with cases related to elder abuse, health care access and financial matters.

Veterans can access a variety of benefits programs as well as housing placement services and educational opportunities. Health care referrals and mental health services are also available here.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in San Francisco

San Francisco Assisted Living Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Assisted Living Facilities in CA are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in CA page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in California