78 Assisted Living Facilities near San Bruno, CA
Also serving communities of Pacifica.
There are 78 Assisted Living Facilities in the San Bruno area, with 8 in San Bruno and 70 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in San Bruno is $3,960 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include South San Francisco with an average starting cost of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 168 reviews below for assisted living facilities in San Bruno. On average, consumers rate assisted living in San Bruno 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Foster City with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in San Bruno, call (855) 863-8283.
8 Assisted Living Facilities in San Bruno, CA
70 Assisted Living Facilities near San Bruno, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in San Bruno
Located just a few miles southwest of San Francisco, California, San Bruno once served as pasture land to feed the livestock of the San Francisco de Asis Mission. Today it is home to more than 32,000 residents and a senior population of almost 14 percent. There are 82 assisted living facilities in the area for seniors who need help with the aspects of everyday living, including 11 inside the city limits.
The California Department of Social Services is in charge of oversight and licensing of assisted living communities, known as residential care facilities (RDFs), in San Bruno and throughout California.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in San Bruno
- Seniors and their families can easily navigate this city and surrounding area by riding on the Bay Area Rapid Transit system, made up of buses and subway systems. For trips into San Francisco and Silicone Valley, the CalTrain offers commuter service.
- The San Bruno overall crime rate is four percent higher than the national average but three percent lower than the state's average. Seniors should take appropriate precautions to protect themselves and their property.
- Winters are a bit chilly, averaging temperatures in the mid-50s. Summers are mild with temperatures hovering in the high 60s to low 70s. The rainy season lasts a little over seven months. Seniors can enjoy outdoor activities but might need to grab an umbrella before going out.
- The San Bruno area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mills-Peninsula Health Services and the Kaiser Permanente South San Francisco Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors, on a fixed income, might appreciate the fact that California doesn't tax their Social Security retirement income. Also, seniors can apply to get their property taxes reduced. California does tax all other retirement income from pensions to money removed from IRAs and 401(k).
- The arts and culture scene in the San Bruno area is thriving with its close proximity to San Francisco. Seniors might take excursions into the city to see a concert at the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall or a see art at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
Paying for Assisted Living in San Bruno
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in San Bruno start around $3,960 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in San Bruno and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in San Bruno
California offers limited financial assistance for assisted living care. Low-income seniors can turn to Medi-Cal, part of the Medicaid system, to help cover the costs of care. There are also Medicaid waivers available to help San Bruno seniors cover costs including the Assisted Living Waiver and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in San Bruno
San Bruno and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in San Bruno, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in San Bruno
San Bruno-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near San Bruno, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in San Bruno
Review of Golden Manor of San Bruno
I visited Golden Manor of San Bruno. They had a person there that who helped with their meals, hair cutting, grooming, and stuff like that. It was a home setting type thing. It was like they had 7 ... Read more
Review of San Bruno Care Home
Dad is in San Bruno Care Home, and he's just been there for 2 months and it's been a nightmare, from miscommunications to issues with my dad. They advertise as "24 hour awake staff" and they are no... Read more
Review of Westborough Manor 5
I have visited my aunt at this facility several times over the past two years and been favorably impressed. The staff is friendly and accomodating, my aunt is always nicely dressed and her room is ... Read more