Atria Park of San Mateo

Reviews of Atria Park of San Mateo

Assisted Living Reviews for Atria Park of San Mateo

June 28, 2021

By E.Franks

I am fairly new here at this community. I moved in just over a month ago. Atria is a very positive and inspiring atmosphere. I got a new purpose when I moved here. They have activities running all day long. The staff is friendly and professional. The kitchen is great. They always have great choices, and it is all fresh. The building is very clean, and the staff works hard to make it a real home. I really enjoy living here. Thank you, Atria.

We are thrilled to welcome you to your new home at Atria. Your feedback is important to us, so thank you for sharing your experience. Thank you for choosing Atria!

June 24, 2021

By Sarah_M

I finally was able to visit Atria to visit my grandma who lives in the long term care unit. It’s a beautiful, clean, and happy atmosphere. Staff was very friendly. Makes me feel so much better knowing she’s very happy there.

June 24, 2021

By Thomas

The staff at Atria Park of San Mateo are very cordial, attentive and caring. It's a top flight facility, extremely well-kempt. They have activities, arts and crafts. They have a gym, an exercise room, a beauty parlor, a terrace, and all the amenities. It's like being on a cruise ship. I'd say it's well worth the value for money. If you want really the best care and that they are sincere in their work, it seems to me that this particular facility offers that. I'm someone who is new to the whole thing, and it is amazing. It's expensive, but you can't get much better.

Hi Thomas, Thank you for sharing your experience. Your compliments mean the world to our team.

June 23, 2021

By Lois L

I had the pleasure of visiting when I went to have lunch with my friend. As soon as you walk in everyone is so friendly and helpful. It’s beautiful inside and very clean! My friend enjoys living here.

June 03, 2021

By Lorena M.

We were so glad to finally be able to visit our dear friend in her room. Upon entering, we were immediately welcomed with a warm greeting. The lobby looked well kept and clean, as well as through out the hallways as we walked up to the apartment. It was around lunch time, so someone brought the meal to her, which looked and smelled delicious. We enjoyed our time and thought the staff were really friendly and welcoming. The facility is beautiful and felt very homey. She said that everyone gets along nicely and enjoys socializing during activities, especially at their weekly happy hour events.

May 05, 2021

By Lynn_3

I want to say thank you to the Activity Director, she always motivates all the residents to join activities, she’s nice, knowledgeable and always willing to help us out.

Lynn, Your compliments are a highlight for our team. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for choosing Atria.

February 25, 2018

By Shaun

The only issue about Atria Hillsdale was it's a big company, so it wasn't best suited for my father. The rooms were good. They offer the normal amenities, but it's not something we're looking for in memory care.

May 30, 2017

By rebecca147702

My dad moved in to Atria Hillsdale, and I'm super pleased. The staff was super attentive, answered all my questions, and took care of paperwork that needed to be taken care of to deal with his VA benefits, and they greeted my every day and knew me by name. They were super patient with my father even on his grumpier days. I am extremely happy with where he's at and how he's doing. My dad's room is nice but small, and they don't provide anything so we needed to provide a bed, a dresser, and a nightstand. His bathroom, however, is not ADA-compliant, which is kind of a bugger for me, plus the bathroom door opens up against the front door to his apartmen,t and that doesn't work very well because him being in a wheelchair makes it difficult to get in. They have a lot of in-house activities like Bingo and cards, and one day, a young girl came in with an escort to play the piano for people which is nice. They also have little sightseeing tours. In June, they're going to be doing a luau, so they try to keep people engaged and busy.

March 28, 2017

By Ellen457762

Atria Hillsdale was definitely more in the style and scope of what my mother needs. My only reservations about the place was it had very little outside space and felt like it's on a freeway because it's on two busy streets, so there's traffic and parking is difficult. The facility itself was well maintained and pleasant. The dining room smelled delicious and looked like a nice restaurant. The people whom I saw in the office were certainly friendly, pleasant, and accommodating. It had a very pleasant environment but not as much opportunity for outdoor fresh air as I would've liked.

March 07, 2017

By William Hoskins

The tour at Atria Hillsdale was very well done. The place seemed to be well maintained but a little older. The coordinator was extremely nice. We had a very nice lunch there. They had a unique, unstructured dining schedule where the residents can eat at anytime, which I would imagine has advantages. The facilities were nice. Our interaction with the residents was somewhat limited. It's not a large place. They seemed to have limited library access, but they had areas where the residents could go and sit and possibly read.

February 01, 2017

By Scott621234

Atria Hillsdale was OK, but I didn’t love it. The dining room seemed OK but wasn’t fancy. The rooms were nice. The staff and the people were really nice. I certainly enjoyed the people and thought they were very helpful.

January 09, 2017

By Verlayne

Atria Hillsdale was very clean, upscale, and had a wonderful dining room. We met with the chef and saw their varied menu. The food smelled and looked delicious. They had a big activity room and a lot of things going on. When we were there, they were having an ice cream social. The staff was friendly and seemed to be very attentive to the residents. The rooms were very nice. It's on the top of our list except that they do not have a walk-in shower, which was the only negative comment I have about this place.

September 29, 2016

By Amanda024832

I really liked the Atria Hillsdale. The lady that gave me the tour and talked with me was absolutely professional in every way she possibly could. The environment there was incredibly clean. They seemed like they had a lot of different activities for seniors to do, which was great.

May 10, 2016

By Jean123916850

Atria Hillsdale was nice. My mother stayed there for about four weeks and it was fun. It turned out that she needed more one-on-one care, so I had to take her from there into a board and care home. They had activities that people can take advantage of if they wanted to. The dining area was nice; it was like eating in a nice restaurant. They gave you a nice menu to choose from and the food was good. They didn’t have a lot of servers so the service was very slow, but most people living there aren’t in a hurry anyway, so it was fine.

February 29, 2016

By Kathy118861650

I didn't get a great feeling about Atria Hillsdale. One good thing was it's close to a lot of things like restaurants and shopping. The rooms were OK, but I didn't like them that much. The one thing that Atria has going for them is how they kept their dining room structured. It's open pretty much of the day from 6:30 in the morning until 7:00 in the evening. The residents can come in as they like and have their meals. They don't have to come at a said hour. The staff was friendly.

Thanks for visiting us at Atria Hillsdale. I’m sorry to learn that the apartments available at this time are not a perfect fit. In the meantime, if there is anything I can do to help, please reach me directly at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com.

January 13, 2016

By Esther9

I was shown two rooms at Atria Hillsdale; one was furnished, which looked really nice. The staff member who took me on the tour was very nice; however, she gave me some wrong information. Otherwise, we liked the facility, and it fit what my father needed. When my father moved in, I saw that there was a bus that was driving the seniors around for a tour. They go shopping and play cards.

January 13, 2016

By Foster City

We had a tour at Atria Hillsdale. The place was clean, and the people were very friendly. They have a big dining area and nice, little courtyard garden areas as well. They also have a community room for activities, and when we got there, they were finishing bingo. The place is nice for senior living, but if you need any other care needs, you have to hire somebody and bring them in.

December 15, 2015

By Richard116175750

I have seen Atria, and I was very interested there. However, it’s in a very busy area. The facility inside seemed okay, and the people seemed to be alright. The rooms are clean and nice. The activities were similar to the other places.

November 09, 2015

By A Caring Daughter3

We like Atria Hillsdale. I like what they did, and it was a nice place. However, it is an older place that needs updating. That's the only bad thing. The rooms were little small but were nice and clean. The guy running it and his staff were very, very nice and thorough. The dining area looked nice.

July 29, 2015

By Kim101278850

I visited Atria, and the Atria people were all pleasant, friendly, and welcoming. They took me on a nice tour of the facility. The rooms were clean and pleasant. The activities were arts & crafts, bingo, singing, and board games.

June 18, 2015

The price was good at Atria Hillsdale. It was a good economical place for people who need assisted living, but the facility needed a lot of repair. They had flowers everywhere in the eating area. It was a very secure facility, and it was reasonable. The patients looked very happy and were very active. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Thanks for visiting Atria Hillsdale. We’d like to learn more about your experience so we can continue to enhance our community. If you’re comfortable sharing more information with us, please reach out to us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com.

May 27, 2015

We looked at Atria in San Mateo. They had us lunch there, and we loved it. When we were looking at the room, we were trying to get a room that was laid out exactly like my mother-in-law's room. The ones they had available at the time weren't quite what we needed. We had only gone in there looking at the rooms for respite care. It was almost too big for her, and it wasn't going to be easy for her to navigate. Everything is clean and new. They looked very well cared for. We also talked with some of the residents when we were there, and people seemed to be pleased. We liked the way it felt and the way it looked.

April 17, 2015

Atria Hillsdale is great. They met all my mom's needs. We searched other facilities, but this has been great in all areas for her. The place is very pleasant, and everybody is very positive. It is also open, nice, and very comfortable as well. We joined him for meals there, and it is very nice. They are also open from 7 am to 7pm so if for some reason she doesn’t want to come down early, she can always go down and get something later.

January 06, 2015

By Pam42

The difference between the studio of Atria Hillsdale and the other places was the fact that they did not have a small kitchen. Their amenity was their dining room which was open at free hours and more of a restaurant ambience, so people could go down at any time when they were hungry, and they will be served like they would in a restaurant. This was a three-story building so it had elevators. It was a nice facility and newer than the others, so there wasn't any noticeable repairs that were needed. I think the dining area was just phenomenal in the way they had set up the atmosphere and the timing so they didn't need to have a kitchenette in the rooms.

November 26, 2013

Atria was a much older facility. The place itself looked older. I had lunch there and I didn't like their food at all. Their staff though was very nice. Because I didn't have a car, they came and picked me up from my house and drove me back home. They also have a schedule for activities for their residents.

Thank you for your feedback I'm glad that you have enjoyed our staff and services, and we are continually working to improve the dining experiences of our residents. If there is further feedback that you are willing to provide to help us make improvements, please contact us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com (be sure to include the community name).

July 24, 2013

By Lacey12

The food here is absolutely horrible. The dining room is pleasant enough, but the food is served cold by incompetent waiters and the service takes forever. Othere than the activities which are good, the place looks likes it's ready to close.

I am so very sorry for your negative experience with our community during a recent staff transition. We have just hired a new director of culinary services and our residents should see a dramatic difference in their dining experience in the next two weeks. I encourage you to stop by for a visit and please contact us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com with any further concerns that you may have.

June 07, 2013

The lobby and the cafeteria weren't that bad, but when you went up the second floor of Atria Hillsdale, it smelled immediately like death and urine. It was horrible. The hallway was just like a college fraternity dorm wherein you had one hallway and there were rooms on both sides. The rooms were shoebox-sized and old fashioned and the aromatics were certainly less than desirable. I wouldn't go in this facility if I was dead.

Please accept our deepest apologies for the unpleasant odor you spoke about in your review. This is certainly not acceptable at any of our communities and we have taken measures to ensure that it does not become an issue again. I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to meet with you so that you can see our community as welcoming as it should always be. If we can answer any questions or if you have other concerns, please contact us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com and include the Atria community name in your subject line.

May 23, 2013

By Caring 6510

Atria Hillsdale was an older facility and it had a business-like reception area. I spent most of my time in the memory care area. I really liked that the rooms were neat, clean, can be personalized and homey. The dining area was very large and complete with linen table cloths and napkins. The residents in the various areas seemed fine. There was also an area where the residents could freely walk outside, so they had a feeling of independence and freedom, which was important to me. They treated everyone with appropriate care. I would pick this facility for my mom if it was not for the location.

June 23, 2011

By BayAreaSW

I've visited Atria of San Mateo several times and have recommended it to my clients. It offers both assisted living and memory care. The direct care staff is very hands on, very patient, caring, attentive, well trained. They assign a care coordinator to every resident, and that works well. All the care seems to be well managed. The dementia patients, in particular, get a lot of 1:1 hands-on care. It's located next to a lagoon (with great views) right off 101 at the Hillsdale exit, so it's easy to find. It's on the corner of two busy streets, though. The facility itself is four stories. 1st floor: admin, kitchen, dining room, recreation room. 2nd floor: memory unit. 3rd and 4th floors: residences. All the rooms are private, and they all have a bathroom with a call-button. And they come furnished or unfurnished. It's about 15-20 years old and is well kept (freshly painted rooms, carpeted), good light. I've heard from a number of the residents that the food is absolutely great--served restaurant style. They also have a good mix of activities, with something new every day. On a Friday when I was there recently, they had a professional singer playing the piano. They also were serving cocktails to those who wanted them. It was very nice. One other plus: It's very clean, and there are NO hospital odors--a nice departure from a lot of facilities I've been in.

May 26, 2011

By Zena9

Friend or relative of resident

The first thing that I noticed when I visited my Uncles friend here at Atria is a lot of smiling old people. They seemed to be enjoying the nice calm breeze in the garden and the perfect atmosphere. The doors were wide for wheel chair access; the staff looked very approachable, helpful and cheerful. The building was very clean and had good cross ventilation. My Uncle's friend had been staying there since the last 3 years and he was full of praises for the facilities that Atria Hillsdale provides and how he has made some good friends with others who stay here. He said that he gets to do some exercises in the morning as assisted by the nurse and also gets to participate in many activities that the management organizes. While I was there, I saw a family who had come to admit an old family member. It was an emotional moment for them. However the staff counseled them really well. I was happy that I could visit Atria and see the life that we usually don't give much heed to.

May 03, 2011

By assistedlivingfac

Friend or relative of resident

My friends grandmom had been staying here for like 2 years and she has found the people very friendly. They spend time getting to know the residents . They organize a lot of free activities, and have free exercise programs which has benefitted my friends grandmom to a great extent. They have happy hours too which gives a lot of opportunity for people to mingle. The rooms are also pretty big and have good ventilation and amenities. However, There are some downsides. The food sometimes is not fresh and the medications are sometimes not provided on time. Having said that, if the management there work on these issues, it could be one of the places where I would definitely like to put my loved one.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Atria Hillsdale. I'm glad to hear that your friend's grandmother has enjoyed living at our community, but we would like to address the concerns you expressed about the food quality and medication reminders. Since your review, we have continued to improve the dining experience of our residents, and we also survey our residents twice per year to gather additional feedback. On the subject of medication reminders, I will share your review with the appropriate staff to make sure that we correct any issues that may exist in that area, as well. If you have any questions or would like to discuss any further details regarding Atria Hillsdale, please contact us at customerservice@atriaseniorliving.com and include the community name in your subject line.

Independent Living Reviews for Atria Park of San Mateo

November 13, 2017

By AB

Atria Hillsdale was nice, but the rooms seemed small. The carpet and other things seemed kind of dated. One of the floors had a urine odor, but they said that they were planning on doing some renovations. The staff seemed professional and very nice, and the dining room looked very nice.

September 10, 2017

By Anna H

Our visit at Atria Hillsdale was very nice. The gentleman that gave us the tour was very informative and very nice. We didn't eat there, but the food looked very good. We were there at lunchtime and we walked through the cafeteria. What my mom didn't like was the size of the rooms that we could afford. It was just a 1-room studio and she didn't like not having a kitchen. They did tell us about all the activities. They have exercise classes and they have transportation also, which I really liked. The whole place was very clean and very nice. We met some of the cleaning staff and they were very nice also.

May 10, 2011

By divanerd

Friend or relative of resident

A close family friend lives here and it really fits her personality. She was very social during her youthful days and the Atria always has interactive activities planned for residents. I think the atmosphere is better for individuals who like socializing and spending time with larger groups. However, for someone who prefers to keep to himself, the environment might seem somewhat intimidating. Rooms are very airy and spacious. It doesn't feel like a cramped dorm room, a problem I've seen with so many assisted living communities. One of the best things about the Atria is the staff--they know all the names of even the quietest residents and foster a true sense of community.

December 03, 2009

By I care about you

After less than a week in their care, my father was rushed to the hospital with "acute renal failure, caused by severe dehydration", and died the next day. The Dr. that was attending him told me the ONLY reason anyone would be in his condition would be from gross negligence. Then, 3 days after he died, The Atria had the gall to send me a bill for the next months charges!! This place is only interested in your families money, and raping their insurance company. That's just my educated opinion. Atria Senior Living, has been cited over 1000 times for serious resident care problems, ranging from medication errors, to residents wandering away from the facility. This is according to a report from the Campaign to Improve Assisted Living. I wish I had known this before I made the mistake of placing my father with these uncaring and unqualified (in my opinion), people.

Hello, Your concerns are important to us. We take the privilege of caring for your family member seriously. If you'd like to personally speak further, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Memory Care Reviews for Atria Park of San Mateo

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

• Licenses: 415600133

About Atria Park of San Mateo

For more than 20 years, Atria has served the families of San Mateo. With a continuing commitment to quality, the community is undergoing an extensive renovation to enhance its beauty and functionality. Once complete, residents will enjoy a host of exciting new spaces and amenities, including updated apartments with modern decor and features, a larger living room with lagoon views, a newly constructed 4,500-square-foot outdoor terrace with mountain views, a new movie theater, full-service bistro and physical therapy center and much more. The community will seek LEED® certification for sustainable design, construction and operation.

In addition to discreet assistance with daily tasks like bathing and getting dressed, Atria Park of San Mateo has a licensed nurse on-site 24/7 to provide care services such as diabetic management and mobility support.

For families facing the challenges of dementia, Atria Park of San Mateo recently expanded and enhanced its memory care neighborhood, relocating it to a larger space within the community. Features include an open layout with combined dining, living and event space, a secure interior courtyard and new, thoughtfully designed apartments with modern features.

In addition to chef-prepared meals and 24/7 support from a dedicated staff, residents of Atria Park of San Mateo also benefit from a robust events calendar featuring engaging opportunities every day from yoga classes and happy hours to jewelry workshops and musical performances.

Atria Senior Living is a leading operator of independent living, assisted living, supportive living and memory care communities in more than 200 locations in 28 states and seven Canadian provinces. We are the residence of choice for more than 20,000 seniors, and the workplace of choice for more than 12,000 employees. We create vibrant communities where older adults can thrive and participate, know that their contributions are valued, and enjoy access to opportunities and support that help them keep making a positive difference in our world.

Map of Atria Park of San Mateo