66 Assisted Living Facilities near San Carlos, CA
There are 66 Assisted Living Facilities in the San Carlos area, with 2 in San Carlos and 64 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in San Carlos is $3,800 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Belmont with an average starting cost of $3,369.
To help you with your search, browse the 183 reviews below for assisted living facilities in San Carlos. On average, consumers rate assisted living in San Carlos 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Foster City with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in San Carlos, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in San Carlos, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in San Carlos
San Carlos is an affluent bedroom community located near California's Silicon Valley, just north of San Jose. Residents of the "City of Good Living" enjoy the small town feel with the convenience of living close to the Bay metro area. Of these 30,000 residents, 14.6 percent are seniors over 65. There are six assisted living facilities in San Carlos to care for this population. In California, assisted living facilities receive licensing through the Department of Social Services. Its Senior Care Licensing Program is designated to monitor residential care facilities for the elderly and continuing care retirement communities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in San Carlos
- Weather in San Carlos is temperate year-round, with warm summers and no winter snow. July high temperatures average around 78 degrees, January lows are 42 and annual rainfall is light. Seniors sensitive to the heat may find relief here.
- On a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being the safest, violent crime rates in the San Carlos area are 26.7, compared to the U.S. average of 31.1. Property crime rates are 31.2, compared to the U.S. average of 38.1.
- The cost of living in San Carlos is 394, compared to a U.S. base of 100. Health care is on par with the average, and grocery costs are slightly higher. Housing costs, however, are more than 10 times the national average, which may affect seniors on a fixed income.
- There are several options for public transportation in San Carlos. The Bay Area Regional Transit (BART) lines offer light rail and buses in the Bay area and the surrounding communities. Paratransit and discounted fares are available for seniors and those with a qualifying disability. Caltrain provides light rail service through the San Jose and Bay area regions. Seniors, the disabled and Medicaid cardholders are eligible for discounted fares.
- San Carlos has an array of community resources for seniors, including the San Carlos Adult Community Center, an organization that offers social and recreational activities for seniors, including assistance for housing, health screens, organized game nights and group outings.
- The Carmichael area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sequoia Hospital - San Carlos and Hospital San Carlos Altamirano, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in San Carlos
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in San Carlos start around $3,800 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in San Carlos and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in San Carlos
Senior citizens in California, as well as those with a qualifying disability, may be eligible for the Assisted Living Waiver (ALW), which is a Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waiver that was created by legislation that directed the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS). Los Gatos residents may find this especially helpful to afford senior care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in San Carlos
San Carlos and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in San Carlos, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in San Carlos
San Carlos-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near San Carlos, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in San Carlos
Review of San Carlos Elms
My mother was a resident of The Elms for over four years before she passed away at the age of 90 this past holiday season. My brother and I couldn't have chosen a better place for Mom. The staff is... Read more
Review of San Carlos Elms
San Carlos Elms is very good and has different levels of care. They have a nice dining room with good food service that's accommodating to his age group. There are a lot of activities that people m... Read more
Review of San Carlos Elms
San Carlos Elms was a very nice facility, centrally located, close to the center and a library. Good room, gathering areas, and good restaurant facility. Nice atmosphere. While we were there, they ... Read more