51 Assisted Living Facilities near Menlo Park, CA
Also serving communities of Portola Valley.
There are 51 Assisted Living Facilities in the Menlo Park area, with 3 in Menlo Park and 48 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 184 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Menlo Park. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Menlo Park 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Palo Alto with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Menlo Park, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Menlo Park, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Menlo Park
Menlo Park is home to a senior center, which provides recreational programs, cultural events and social services for the area's older adults. In Menlo Park, seniors make up for almost 14 percent of the city's population of 32,000 people.
In Menlo Park and in all of California, assisted living facilities may also be called residential care facilities for the elderly, and they are licensed and monitored through the Department of Social Services. The Menlo Park area has nearly 50 assisted living facilities, including two in the city proper.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Menlo Park
- California's sales and income tax rates are among the highest in the nation, which may be a consideration for seniors who are interested in retiring to Menlo Park. Seniors do not pay state income tax on Social Security benefits, but all other types of retirement income are fully taxable.
- The air quality in Menlo Park is good, which may benefit seniors who have conditions like COPD or heart disease. The American Lung Association gave San Mateo County, where this city is located, a B for ozone pollution and an A for 24-hour particle pollution.
- The Menlo Park area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Menlo Park Surgical Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Summers in Menlo Park are long, warm and dry, winters are short and cool, and year-round temperatures range between 43 and 77 degrees. With its mild climate, Menlo Park may be well-suited to seniors who enjoy participating in outdoor activities throughout the year.
- While Menlo Park is rated to be safer than only 31 percent of cities of all sizes across the country, when it's compared only to similarly sized cities, its crime rate is average. This may provide peace of mind for seniors who are interested in retiring to the area.
- Menlo Park's cost of living is nearly five times the national average and over 300 percent higher than the California average. Home values are roughly 12 times higher here than in the nation as a whole, and gasoline and auto insurance cost about 50 percent higher than elsewhere in the country. This may be a concern for some seniors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Menlo Park
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Menlo Park start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Menlo Park and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Menlo Park
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Menlo Park
Menlo Park and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Menlo Park, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Menlo Park
Menlo Park-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Menlo Park, CA
Other Options in Menlo Park, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Menlo Park
Review of Lane Partners LLC
My wife stayed at Orchid Lane. The people loved her, and she loved the people there. She really enjoyed the food, but her disease got to the point where she started having hallucinations. She refus... Read more
Review of Silver Oaks Memory Care
Silver Point Plaza was an old facility that needed updating. It did not meet the needs of my dad, but the staff seemed to be very friendly and eager. The place was clean and provided activities. Read more
Review of Lane Partners LLC
My dad lives in Orchid Lane since April and he likes it. It is actually a very nice facility, well laid out. It is very well-equipped and well run. It is also bright and cheerful. Their rooms are v... Read more