56 Assisted Living Facilities near Palo Alto, CA
There are 56 Assisted Living Facilities in the Palo Alto area, with 9 in Palo Alto and 47 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Palo Alto is $5,225 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 239 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Palo Alto. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Palo Alto 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Los Altos with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Palo Alto, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Palo Alto, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Palo Alto
The city of Palo Alto, which is part of the San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara metro area, gets its name from a coastal redwood tree called El Palo Alto and is "The Birthplace of the Silicon Valley." The city is home to 61 assisted living facilities or residential care facilities for the elderly (RCFEs). Eight of these RCFEs are located within the city, while 53 are spread in nearby areas. Licenses for the operation of RCFEs are issued by the state’s Department of Social Services, through the Community Care Licensing Division. RCFEs in California are defined as housing arrangements where 75 percent of residents are 60 years of age or above.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Palo Alto
- The cost of living in Palo Alto is 518.3 on the 100-point index, meaning the cost is way above the national average. Health care and groceries are two of the biggest contributors to consider for seniors needing regular supplies and medical attention.
- The Palo Alto area enjoys mostly sunny days throughout the year, averaging only 37 days of precipitation per year. Sperling's Comfort Index ranks Palo Alto at 84 out of 100 (best). This kind of weather is ideal for seniors who enjoy outdoor activities.
- The Palo Alto area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, the Menlo Park Surgical Hospital and Stanford Health Care, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Transportation options include the Caltrain system and the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. Both systems offer discounted rates for seniors. The Santa Clara Valley Transportation System has a variety of senior amenities, such as ramps for bus boarding, leveled platforms, elevators or escalators on railway platforms and priority seating arrangements.
- The Palo Alto area features several senior-friendly attractions. Hoover Tower at Stanford University offers discounted admission rates for seniors, while the Computer History Museum accepts group reservations for seniors. Downtown attractions such as the historic Mills Florist plan special events to celebrate National Seniors Citizens Day.
- Palo Alto is a relatively safe area. Based on a scale of 1 to 100 (high crime), the violent crime rate is 21.4 versus the U.S. average of 31.1, while the property crime rate is 32.7 versus the U.S. average of 38.1.
Paying for Assisted Living in Palo Alto
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Palo Alto start around $5,145 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Palo Alto and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Palo Alto
Financial assistance is available through the state’s Medi-Cal program. Medi-Cal-eligible seniors may also apply for the state’s Assisted Living Waiver program offered to seniors willing to live in RCFEs located in selected California counties.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Palo Alto
Palo Alto and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Palo Alto, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Palo Alto
Palo Alto-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Palo Alto, CA
Other Options in Palo Alto, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Palo Alto
Review of Lytton Gardens
Staff is caring and responsive. Management seems to be far too focused on cutting costs. My mother uses personal computer to stay socially active but management is highly unresponsive to complaints... Read more
Review of Palo Alto Commons
My visit at Palo Alto Commons was OK. I just showed up, and they showed me around. The room that would have suited my mom wasn't a regular apartment but like a dorm room that was nicely appointed. ... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Palo Alto
Sunrise of Palo Alto is new, has a very nice floor plan, and is open. They have a very nice staff. The rooms are average-sized, and they have lots of activities. It was very pleasant. The food look... Read more