58 Assisted Living Facilities near Los Altos, CA
There are 58 Assisted Living Facilities in the Los Altos area, with 2 in Los Altos and 56 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Los Altos is $5,950 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Mountain View with an average starting cost of $4,000.
To help you with your search, browse the 219 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Los Altos. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Los Altos 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Sunnyvale with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Los Altos, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Los Altos, CA
56 Assisted Living Facilities near Los Altos, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Los Altos
Part of Santa Clara County, Los Altos, California is situated in Northern Silicon Valley in the San Francisco Bay area. The city of Los Altos offers seniors seeking assisted living care the option between two local assisted living facilities (ALFs) and 54 nearby ones. All communities are overseen by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD) for licensing and regulation. The CCLD approves all activities of daily living (ADLs) and health care services alongside each facility.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Los Altos
- Los Altos, part of San Jose, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership "has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or country a great place for people of all ages," according to AARP.
- The cost of living for seniors living in Los Altos is 470 percent higher than the national average. However, most of that housing, which may not be a concern for seniors in ALFs. Highest expenses include an added 20.4 percent higher grocery bill, 14 percent pricier health care coverage, 28 percent higher utility bills and 12 percent higher transportation fees.
- The Los Altos area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Mountain View.
- California is known for not being tax friendly and does not provide seniors with a tax-exemption on retirement income other than SSI. Los Altos residents have a combined 9 percent sales tax compared to the 6 percent national average and 8.54 percent state average.
- The Los Altos air quality, like all San Jose County, is polluted and was named on three separate top 10 lists of worse pollution by the American Lung Association (ALA). Seniors who suffer from respiratory issues are often advised to stay inside during spring and fall.
- Locals of Los Altos enjoy violent and property crime rates that are 82 percent lower than all other California neighborhoods.
Paying for Assisted Living in Los Altos
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Los Altos start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Los Altos and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Los Altos
The Med-Cali Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Assisted Living Waiver (ALW), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and the optional state supplement (OSS) are three financial aid programs for seniors seeking assistance in the Los Altos area.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Los Altos
Los Altos and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Los Altos, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Los Altos
Los Altos-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Los Altos, CA
Other Options in Los Altos, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Los Altos
Review of BridgePoint at Los Altos
We toured many facilities in the area and this was by far the most friendly, clean, updated and the food is excellent. The staff are attentive and friendly and know all the residents by name and s... Read more
Review of BridgePoint at Los Altos
BridgePoint at Los Altos is a very modern, comfortable environment, and it has a beautiful dining room and excellent food. There's a movie room, facilities, and there's a lot of activities for the ... Read more
Review of The Terraces at Los Altos
My mother has been living at the terraces for 20 years. At first it was wonderful, but in the last three years there has been a large addition of rooms and a memory center. My mother's needs have... Read more