77 Assisted Living Facilities near Millbrae, CA
There are 77 Assisted Living Facilities in the Millbrae area, with 7 in Millbrae and 70 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Millbrae is $4,983 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include San Bruno with an average starting cost of $3,960.
To help you with your search, browse the 170 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Millbrae. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Millbrae 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include San Bruno with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Millbrae, call (855) 863-8283.
7 Assisted Living Facilities in Millbrae, CA
70 Assisted Living Facilities near Millbrae, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Millbrae
Millbrae, California is in San Mateo County, west of San Francisco Bay and hosts a population of 22,522 with a median age of 44.4. The Millbrae area is home to 59 assisted living facilities, eight of which are located within the city proper and an additional 51 nearby. These facilities are licensed through the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division, and they are officially called Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFs). Of the residents living in assisted living facilities in Millbrae, 75 percent are aged 60 or older, and varying levels of care and supervision are provided.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Millbrae
- Millbrae scores high on Sperling’s Comfort Index, rating 86 out of 100 for its low humidity levels and mild climate. With July highs in the low-70s and January lows in the low-40s, the city’s climate is ideal for seniors who enjoy being outdoors.
- Millbrae has a high cost of living that is more than triple the U.S. average. While the high cost of housing, which is seven times the national average, is the biggest factor that influences the overall average, seniors can expect to pay nearly 19 percent more on groceries, 11 percent more on health care and 7 percent more on transportation than they would in other U.S. cities.
- Millbrae's crime rate is 56 percent lower than the national average, and the city is safer than 66 percent of cities in the United States. The rate of violent crime here is 58 percent lower than the state average and 52 percent lower than the national average, and the property crime rate is 58 percent lower than the state average and 54 percent below the national average.
- Millbrae is home to the Millbrae Intermodal Station, which connects the BART, Caltrain and SamTrans networks, making it easy for seniors to travel the city. Seniors can get a Clipper card to receive discounts on passes, cash value fares and transfers for these local agencies, as well as several others.
- The Millbrae area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Burlingame.
- Millbrae has an array of community resources for seniors, including the San Mateo County Senior Mobility Initiative, an organization that focuses on enabling seniors to have access to the transportation they need to attend medical appointments, run errands and stay connected to their community, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Millbrae
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Millbrae start around $4,983 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Millbrae and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Millbrae
Millbrae seniors may apply for financial assistance to help them pay for the care they receive in an assisted living facility. Currently, there are two programs available, including Medi-Cal, which offers an Assisted Living Waiver program, and Supplemental Security Income – Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Millbrae
Millbrae and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Millbrae, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Millbrae
Millbrae-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Millbrae, CA
Other Options in Millbrae, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Millbrae
Review of Cadence Millbrae
Cadence Millbrae was rundown. The carpets in the common areas were very old. It was very '70s or '80s, but the prices were cheap. They said they're going to start a refurbishment program very soon,... Read more
Review of Cadence Millbrae
Cadence Millbrae was beautiful. The person who accommodated me was exceptional. The apartment was very nice. It was a perfect size. Their lobby looked classy. We had lunch there and it was deliciou... Read more
Review of Magnolia of Millbrae
All of the amenities mentioned by others are there. But. The cost went up dramatically in past year and they are about to do another round of increases. The issue: The cost of living on SF Peninsul... Read more