81 Assisted Living Facilities near South San Francisco, CA
There are 81 Assisted Living Facilities in the South San Francisco area, with 10 in South San Francisco and 71 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in South San Francisco is $3,850 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Belmont with an average starting cost of $3,834.
To help you with your search, browse the 195 reviews below for assisted living facilities in South San Francisco. On average, consumers rate assisted living in South San Francisco 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include San Bruno with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in South San Francisco, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in South San Francisco, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in South San Francisco
South San Francisco is home to a number of beautiful outdoor spaces including Filoli Gardens and Golden Gate Park. There are over 67,000 people living in this city, 15 percent of whom are 65 and over. Seniors in need of an assisted living facility to help with the activities of daily living, such as medication management and personal hygiene will find 12 of these facilities in the city limits and over 70 nearby. In South San Francisco and throughout the state, these facilities are regulated by the California Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in South San Francisco
- South San Francisco is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages.
- The South San Francisco area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Kaiser Manente South San Francisco Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- South San Francisco has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Magnolia Center, an organization that provides seniors with the chance to take part in social and recreational activities.
- The overall cost of living in the South San Francisco area is almost 150 percent more expensive than the national average, meaning this area may not be suitable for seniors on a tight budget. This is mostly due to the cost of housing, which is around 450 percent higher than the national average. However, healthcare in this city costs, on average, three percent less than the U.S. average.
Weather in South San Francisco is usually pleasant all year round, which is great news for seniors who enjoy spending their time outdoors. The city gets summer highs of 72 degrees and winter lows of 44.
- Safety-conscious seniors may be pleased to find out the reported crime rates in South San Francisco are slightly lower than the national averages. The city has a violent crime rate of 15.9 and a property crime rate of 31.4, compared to the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
Paying for Assisted Living in South San Francisco
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in South San Francisco start around $3,850 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in South San Francisco and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in South San Francisco
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in South San Francisco
South San Francisco and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in South San Francisco, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in South San Francisco
South San Francisco-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near South San Francisco, CA
Other Options in South San Francisco, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in South San Francisco
Review of Westborough Royale
My mom was at Westborough Royale for four months. They were very responsive and extremely knowledgeable about the residents. They knew exactly who my mom was, they knew exactly what her schedule wa... Read more
Review of Aegis of San Francisco
Aegis of San Francisco seems perfect for what I was looking for for my friend. The staff who gave the tour was wonderful, very outgoing, friendly, and accommodating. There wasn't many activities du... Read more
Review of Aegis of San Francisco
Aegis of San Francisco's staff is friendly. They had pretty good food. They'll take you to a doctor and back. It has a nice little courtyard. My dad had a studio room on the ground floor memory car... Read more