20 Assisted Living Facilities near San Rafael, CA
There are 20 Assisted Living Facilities in the San Rafael area, with 11 in San Rafael and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in San Rafael is $4,995 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,346.
To help you with your search, browse the 76 reviews below for assisted living facilities in San Rafael. On average, consumers rate assisted living in San Rafael 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Corte Madera with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in San Rafael, call (855) 863-8283.
11 Assisted Living Facilities in San Rafael, CA
9 Assisted Living Facilities near San Rafael, CA
Other Options in San Rafael, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in San Rafael
Review of AlmaVia of San Rafael
AlmaVia of San Rafael was very nice. There were lots of residents about, so it seemed very social. The facilities were very well kept and up-to-date. The residents were very happy. The staff was ve... Read more
Review of St. Michael's Extended Care
My sister is a resident of St Michael's, and the place is fine. They have activities like knitting, art classes, and things like that. They provide three meals a day and take care of people. The st... Read more
Review of Drake Terrace
Drake Terrace was a very nice place. It would probably be our second choice for the waiting list. It is a little farther from the area we wanted to be in, but it is very nice. We like this place. T... Read more
Assisted Living near Marin County, CA
More Options Near San Rafael, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in San Rafael
San Rafael is an affluent, coastal city in Marin County, California, United States. Located in the North Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area, seniors — almost 18 percent of the population — will find beautiful parks, bay shorelines and plenty of open space to explore. San Rafael also has 12 assisted living facilities, and there are an additional 21 facilities located in nearby cities. In San Rafael, as in the rest of California, assisted living facilities are officially called Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, and they are licensed through the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in San Rafael
- San Rafael has pleasant weather all throughout the year and is rated 84 out of 100 on Sperling’s Comfort Index. In July, the average high is 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and the January low is 42 degrees.
- The air quality in San Rafael is high, making this city a good option for seniors who have respiratory illnesses. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being the best, the air quality is 67, which is 9 points higher than the U.S. average.
- San Rafael is an expensive city to live in, with an overall cost of living that is higher than California and U.S. averages. Among the primary reasons for this is the cost of housing in San Rafael, which is twice as high as the state average and four times higher than the average home in other U.S. cities. However, seniors can also expect to spend roughly 19 percent more on groceries, 11 percent more on health care, 7 percent more on transportation and 12 percent more on miscellaneous expenses, though utilities cost about 5 percent less here than in other California cities.
- The San Rafael area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Kentfield.
- San Rafael is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- San Rafael has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Whistlestop, an organization that provides meals, educational workshops, social gatherings and referral services for seniors, as well as three senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in San Rafael
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in San Rafael start around $4,995 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in San Rafael and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in San Rafael
Low-income seniors residing in San Rafael may be eligible to apply for government funding to help pay for assisted living. There are currently two programs available: the 1915(c) Assisted Living Waiver program through Medi-Cal and Supplemental Security Income – Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in San Rafael
San Rafael and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in San Rafael, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in San Rafael
San Rafael-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.