51 Assisted Living Facilities near Chula Vista, CA
With an average cost of $2,845 in Chula Vista, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 78 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 17 facilities in Chula Vista.
17 Assisted Living Facilities in Chula Vista, CA
34 Assisted Living Facilities near Chula Vista, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Chula Vista
Chula Vista, the second largest city in the San Diego metropolitan area, has a population of over 150,000 residents — 11 percent are seniors age 65 and over. In Chula Vista and throughout California, assisted living facilities are known as residential care facilities (or RCFs) and are licensed by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division. Chula Vista is home to 16 assisted living facilities, with at least 42 more located in nearby communities such as National City, Bonita and San Diego. At least 75 percent of the residents in these facilities are 60 years of age or older.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Chula Vista
- As a coastal town, Chula Vista enjoys a balmy climate that makes it perfect for outings any time of the year.
- Chula Vista is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Assisted living facilities in Chula Vista can offer their residents a wide variety of recreational activities, from scenic drives and trips to the beach, to shopping trips and movie nights. The city is also home to a live theater and several colorful annual events, including the famous Lemon Festival.
- The Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) services Chula Vista with three trolley stations and hundreds of bus stops on at least nine different routes. Seniors and persons with disabilities may also qualify for special curb-to-curb paratransit services.
- As you might expect, the perks of living in a popular coastal town come with a hefty price tag. The cost of living in the city of Chula Vista is 54 percent higher than the national average.
- Another drawback for potential residents is poor air quality. Chula Vista is in San Diego County, which is among the highest-ranked metropolitan areas for ozone pollution in the country. According to the American Lung Association, this means that “the air you breathe may put your health at risk.”
Paying for Assisted Living in Chula Vista
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Chula Vista start around $2,752 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Chula Vista and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chula Vista
For many seniors considering moving into assisted living, cost is understandably one of their greatest concerns. Fortunately, California’s state Medicaid program, Medi-Cal, offers an Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) program to aid eligible seniors with the costs of assisted living facilities in San Diego County. Help is also available to those who qualify through California’s Optional State Supplement (OSS) to Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Chula Vista
Chula Vista and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Chula Vista, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chula Vista
Chula Vista-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Chula Vista, CA
Other Options in Chula Vista, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Chula Vista
Review of Fredericka Manor
Fredericka Manor is the best of the five places I've seen so far. 23 acre campus, with small homes plus a 7-story building with apartments, with the upper floors having fantastic views. A lovely, ... Read more
Review of Bonita Home Care
Absolutely horrible experience! I met with a Mr. Crosby who, during our initial interview, repeatedly commented on my looks and how attractive I was. My 88 year old mother was present so I attemp... Read more
Review of Westmont at San Miguel Ranch
We signed a contract for my mom at Westmont at San Miguel Ranch. It's been great so far, and we hope it will stay that way. The staff member who assisted me during the tour was really helpful, real... Read more