Fredericka Manor

Reviews of Fredericka Manor

Assisted Living Reviews for Fredericka Manor

March 22, 2016

By Evelyn24

Fredericka Manor was OK and had some availability coming up for my dad. The staff took me on a very quick tour. The rooms looked crowded and outdated. Outside, they had beautiful grounds. Inside, it was really busy and didn’t look updated. I didn’t get a nice warm feeling. It was like a big nursing home with 200 rooms, so it was a bigger place.

August 13, 2015

Fredericka Manor was good, but it was just too far and too distant from me. It has a lovely setting, and the rooms were nice.

May 04, 2015

By William106592550

We toured Fredericka Manor; the lady explained everything, and she was very professional. After her presentation and us touring the facility, my youngest daughter and I decided that we would make application for residency there. The room was absolutely fabulous. The entry was the kitchenette, straight ahead was the living room, to the left was the bedroom, and off of it was a walk-in shower and bathroom. It's more than I expected, and I would be able to use my VA entitlement.

April 20, 2015

By Sonni1

We have found a place, and we are moving there in two weeks. Most of the places in California do not have a kitchen, and Fredericka Manor has kitchens. If they didn't have a kitchen, I would discard them. It is an entire cottage, and the rooms are large and light. I am still working -- I am an artist -- and it had room for a studio for me. We stayed there, and they were very gracious. They gave us a guest suite, and we lived in the community for four days. It was very nice. That included all the meals and everything we wanted. They managed to sit us with different people for every meal, and the people in this community were really gracious. The food was good; it wasn't exciting, but it was good. But there are so many restaurants down there that it doesn't matter. It is not only assisted living, but they have a lot of independent living. And one of the reasons we chose it is that they have very vital, active people still running around in there, and it is beautiful.

December 30, 2014

By Carol103638850

I visited Fredericka Manor, and it was excellent. I liked the meals and the privacy. They had everything like Spanish classes, movies, and all kinds of things. I would recommend them because they covered all the aspects of assisted living.

September 30, 2014

By James69653950

My mother didn’t get to stay longer at Fredericka Manor; she passed away. I think she was there for only two months. Everything was absolutely excellent there. It couldn’t have been better; nothing could be improved. They had everything from classes to bingo to total involvement. I totally recommend that place; it’s unlike any other, and it’s a residence as opposed to a nursing care home.

September 26, 2014

Fredericka Manor is very nice housing away from the main property. There were different choices of housing and the grounds were well-kept. There is a one or two bedroom and the staff was very friendly, helpful and accommodating.

September 22, 2014

My choice was Fredericka Manor. If I could afford it, that’s where I would be. Not one single negative. It’s a beautiful setting. Very clean, very nicely decorated, beautifully done. It’s very easy transportation from San Diego or any of the suburbs as it’s right off Highway 5. I was very impressed. Of all the places I saw, it made me the happiest. It has a 1-bedroom cottage. I had two meals there, one lunch and one dinner. Excellent food, nice bar, wonderful people. I only met 3 staff members, but I like them all. The residents were all very friendly and all seemed to be very happy. I only met maybe 20 residents but I like them very much.

April 11, 2014

By William31

I did stay in a place called Fredericka Manor. I was at rehab there. It's a very large complex. The rooms are usually two to a room. The staff was very outstanding. Sometimes, the food was real bad, especially for breakfast. They have a full range of activities: movies, dances, parties, bingo, church. It's right in the middle of Chula Vista. They have a little hospital. There are shopping centers. Anything you want is there.

January 31, 2014

By Robert77986950

I visited Fredericka Manor and it was also very nice. Except it was more of a large campus and it wasn't individual homes. They had a high rise where the assisted living people would be. I was only able to talk to their sales rep but I ate lunch, the food was good and the people were nice. It seemed like they had a few activities, but I didn't participate in any of them.

April 25, 2012

By Houap

The grounds of this facilIty are serene and peaceful, conducive to an environment promoting wellness. The homes are well appointed and spacious while every effort has been made to anticipate and accommodate the needs of the population served. Stairs are minimal and access to nursing and non-nursing care is readily available allowing residents to live in independence as long as possible. With an on-site subacute and inpatient facilities, residents are not far from 24 hour medical care should they require it. In addition to these, activities within the community support social interaction and community involvement in each setting.

March 13, 2012

By commercesd

I went with a friend to check out the Fredericka Manor to help him find a place for he and his wife. She has early dementia, and he still enjoys working part time and is unable to care for her on his own. They have resided in the Chula Vista region for quite some time, so this is the area they would like to continue to stay in. There were many different types of accommodations available, from nice garden homes to spacious apartments in the Asbury Towers. Each was lovely and very easy to access. The outer grounds were very nicely maintained and offered spacious places to enjoy walking around freely and safely. There was also space to have parties, picnics, barbeques and other gatherings with friends and family. The receiving area was fresh and bright with a nice colors and furniture. The interiors were all designed with beautiful views in a calming, current décor and lots of fresh air and light. The social rooms offered easy ways for seniors to easily socialize, make crafts, play games, watch TV and films and participate in the many stimulating activities. Communal activity rooms were spacious, with comfortable furniture, where seniors can play games, read, watch TV and visit with friends and family. They also have an art center where residents may work on projects that may later be displayed at their facility in Carlsbad. They work with local community organizations to disseminate a better understanding of the aging process, which we found extraordinary - since my friend's wife is an artist. Some of the many outings included local sight seeing, nature walks and visits to all of the great activities that Chula Vista has to offer. Seniors can use exercise facilities at any time and also go on daily walks, with assistance as needed. Aerobics and yoga classes are offered and residents are encouraged to exercise daily. The menus all had healthy food options for all kinds of diets. Healthy snacks are offered all day and into the evening, and whenever requested. The dining rooms was nice and the food we saw looked and smelled delicious. Seniors may also opt to prepare food themselves in their apartments or homes if they like. Bathrooms and all facilities were designed with safety in mind. All of the seniors living in this community seemed very content, in a living environment specifically tailored to their needs. This facility is definitely one of the favorites that we've visited thus far in the region. We thought that this living environment would work for my friend and his wife, since it is designed as a retirement community with just the amount of support they would need. It's very nicely designed with competent and caring staff.

Independent Living Reviews for Fredericka Manor

August 21, 2017

By BL

We thought Fredericka Manor was very pleasant, nice, and seemed like a place where I could be happy. The cottages would be perfect for couples or a single lady with a friend. If you're alone, there were also apartments available. The place was pretty and very well done, and the people we met were all terrific. We had an excellent lunch. The salad bar was great. It was a very clean and beautiful place with glass all around so you can see outside.

Questions about Fredericka Manor

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Dementia training is provided annually for all staff. Staff assigned to particular dementia areas/floors receive added training on an ongoing basis.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Fredericka Manor. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Average at is 83 with 50% of our residents being independent. Our community is 24 acres with 85 cottages, 2 apartment complexes and a skilled nursing center on property. Residents enjoy being outdoors on our lovely campus or going to activities in the area. 20 minutes to downtown San Diego and Coronado or a one block walk 3rd Avenue Village.

What programs or activities does Fredericka Manor offer to enrich residents' well-being?

What places are near Fredericka Manor or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Third Avenue Village is a 1 block walk to a charming downtown business area with dining, shopping, services, banking, senior center, library, events and live theatre.

What transportation services does Fredericka Manor offer to assisted living residents?

We have two buses for weekly shopping and planned activities that are included in monthly fee. We have a private driver for personal appointments. Price is based on mileage. Lyft and Uber concierge services provided by our receptionist. Bus stop conveniently located in front of our entrance, trolley near by.

What makes the chef or dining program at Fredericka Manor exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We offer 4 chef specials for lunch and 2 for dinner, in addition to a regular menu. We have a cook specializing in daily home made soups. Low sodium, gluten free and dietary restricted meals are offered or designed by our registered dietitian. We offer wine service at dinner time and special event meals are planned throughout the year.

What safety features or security measures does Fredericka Manor offer to assisted living residents?

24 hour security guards and system including an alert dog who patrols the community with security guard. Pull cords in each bedroom and bathroom. Personal alert systems are available for additional monthly fee.

How does Fredericka Manor keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

RN and Security on duty 24 hours. Resident Services Director is contact for residents and family, as well as regular consultations with Director of Health Services.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Fredericka Manor during daytime and nighttime hours?

We are licensed to provide assisted living care throughout the entire community. We comply with licensing requirements.

If Fredericka Manor accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Yes, we are pet friendly. Outdoor fenced dog park and plenty of walking paths. Pet fee of $300 is required with application. Pet care packages are offered as well.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Annual training for all staff: Resident Rights Dignity and Privacy, Elder Abuse Theft & Loss, EOLOA, Bloodborne Pathogens Universal precautions, Norovirus & infection control, Sexual Harassment, Emergency Disaster Preparedness, Safety and Security, Accident Prevention, Dementia Training.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Fredericka Manor. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Average age is 82. Many of our independent residents live in cottages ranging in size from studio to 2 bedrooms with garage. Some residents are working part time or continuing in professional careers. Retired teachers, artists, engineers, veterans, social workers, nurses, doctors, etc... They enjoy participating in our many activities on campus and off.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Fitness Center with full time instructor. Dart Baseball, library, salon, bocci, putting green, walks on campus and in the community. Tuesday night entertainment, movies in our movie room, book clubs, religious services, guided meditation, sewing room, Mr. Fix It shop, on campus convenience store and thrift shop. Downtown and Coronado are popular destinations, as well as the local estuary, shopping centers, waterfront activities.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Fredericka Manor has organized?

Lake Murray picnic, Holiday shopping at the outlet center, lunch outing at DZ Akins, Senior Monday in Balboa Park for lecture and IMAX film EVEREST. Padre Baseball game, San Diego Symphony and Lambs theatre for season ticket holders.

What transportation services does Fredericka Manor offer to independent living residents?

2 activities buses, private driver, Uber and Lyft concierge services, convenient bus stop, trolley near by and MTS has senior service pick up for doctor appointments.

What makes the chef or dining program at Fredericka Manor exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our chef and registered dietitian work together to provide a varied and appetizing menu. Our residents love the variety of choices in comfort food and healthy choices. Mexican, Porteguese and Italian dishes are favorites, as well as Tuesday Steak night and periodic surf and turf options. Once a month the dining room dresses up to a theme like Hawaiian or Country Western with a menu to match.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Putting green, covered patio's, 2 ponds, rose garden, bocci court, dog park, shuffle board, shaded gardens, convenience store, thrift shop and thrift store. Lobby, lounge, billiard room, library, salon, Dart Baseball room, activity center, spiritual room fitness center, sewing room, fix it shop, auditorium, public balcony's with views of entire South Bay waterfront including Coronado and downtown San Diego, Imperial Beach and Mexico.

What safety features or security measures does Fredericka Manor offer to independent living residents?

Does Fredericka Manor work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We have our own caregivers and we contract with a licensed and bonded agency.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We comply with California state regulations.

What safety features or security measures does Fredericka Manor provide to protect residents who wander?

Our 2nd floor in Asbury Towers features delayed egress and alarms on all doors and exits. Residents with diagnosis of dementia are required to wear a wander guard. Our memory care areas (Summer House and Saylor) are securely locked 24 hours a day.

What programs or activities does Fredericka Manor offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Please see our website for details, or ask us to send you a calendar of events for all levels of care.

Director of Health Services. Annual review or whenever necessary.

Describe the neighborhood around Fredericka Manor. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Fredericka Manor is conveniently located between the 5 and 805 freeways, nestled in a neighborhood. 3rd Avenue village is 2 blocks away with small businesses, restaurants, theatre and services.

Is Fredericka Manor affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We have a skilled nursing/rehab facility on campus. Scripps, Sharp and Kaiser Hospital's are close by.

Costs for Fredericka Manor

Photos of Fredericka Manor

Services and Amenities of Fredericka Manor

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites
  • Detached Homes
  • Housing Extra: Some Detached Homes With Garages

About Fredericka Manor

Fredericka Manor was established in 1908 as the first retirement community west of the Mississippi. The property is 2 miles from the waterfront and features spectacular views from our 7 story Apartment building of the downtown skyline, Silver Strand, Coronado, and Mexico. It has a total of 24 acres of tree lined streets with 81 cottages in various sizes; studios, and 1 2 bedrooms, some with dens, attached garages, porches, and patios. There is a 7 story apartment building with apartment sizes that vary from studio, 1 bedroom, and 2 bedroom accommodations. Most have kitchenette's, but some 2 bedrooms have full kitchens. There is also a 2 story apartment complex with its own dining room, laundry facility and activity center. On site amenities include; full service dining room, beauty salon, library, fitness center, chapel, activity center, walking paths, putting green, bocce court, dog park, vegetable and flower gardens, frui t trees, ponds with duck, koi and birds.

Quiet streets, quaint cottages, tranquil ponds, colorful gardens, flat walking paths, security. An intimate neighborhood with so many choices. Short walking distance to public transportation, a friendly and safe village with restaurants, bakeries, salons, barber shops, tap rooms, live theatre, senior center, library and city center.

Map of Fredericka Manor