The vibrant city of San Diego, located in Southern California, has nearly 1.4 million residents and a senior community that comprises about 13% of the population. This demographic is rapidly growing and is projected to nearly triple between 2012 and 2035. To meet the unique health needs of seniors, the city has numerous nonprofit agencies and initiatives to improve their quality of life and access to health care. Due to factors such as these, Alzheimer’s deaths have remained relatively constant in recent years. According to the CDC, in 2014 and 2018, Alzheimer’s-related deaths accounted for about a tenth of all deaths in the region. While the total death rate went up by 10% during that time frame, Alzheimer’s deaths increased by less than 4%.

The San Diego region has numerous memory care facilities that provide specialized services to those with dementia. These facilities have open floor plans to support residents’ independence and secured indoor and outdoor areas to prevent wandering. This introductory guide for memory care in San Diego outlines local care costs and highlights the pros and cons of obtaining care in this city. It also features a resource list with agencies and programs that serve those affected by memory-related diseases.

Memory Care Facilities in San Diego, CA

2015, 2016, 2019, 2020

Belmont Village Sabre Springs

13075 Evening Creek Drive South, San Diego, CA, 92128

I toured Belmont Village Sabre Springs. I’m so pleased with what I saw and with the particular levels of memory care, since they have different levels in their program. I have a nurse coming in from B … (read more)

2013

Vi at La Jolla Village

8515 Costa Verde Boulevard, San Diego, CA, 92122

Torrey Pines Assisted & Senior Living

13101 Hartfield Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92130

We chose it for my husband. I liked it. I thought it was very homey, and the people seemed very caring and capable. I liked the fact that it was one floor for memory care. It was not like a hotel or a … (read more)

2022

Sunrise of Sabre Springs

12515 Springhurst Dr., San Diego, CA, 92064

I liked Sunrise of Sabre Springs a lot. They had the same amenities as the others, but it was a 4-floor building. The memory care was on the 3rd floor, and you had to get an elevator. I felt that it w … (read more)

2022

Stellar Care

4518 54th Street, San Diego, CA, 92115

I toured Stellar Care. I found it to be friendly, inviting, and engaging for the people that lived there. I think it was Kerry that gave us a tour. She was excellent, answered all our questions, and g … (read more)

Sunrise of La Jolla

810 Turquoise Street, San Diego, CA, 92109

Sunrise of La Jolla is awesome. It is a high-end very nice place. It is just like a hotel. If you can afford it, it is good. However, the cost is a factor for that one. I saw mainly the memory care be … (read more)

Casa Aldea Senior Living

14740 Via Fiesta, San Diego, CA, 92127

Gold Canyon Care Home

6461 Quillan St., San Diego, CA, 92111

My mother moved into Gold Canyon Care Home. They seem pretty good so far. Everybody is really nice. Her room is very nice. She’s going to end up with a roommate, but right now there’s no roommate. She … (read more)

Pacifica Senior Living Rancho Peñasquitos

12979 Rancho Peñasquitos Blvd, San Diego, CA, 92129

My husband will be moving into Pacifica Senior Living Rancho Peñasquitos. We toured it, and we liked the facility. The staff that showed us around was very informative and took the time to explain ev … (read more)

Oakmont of Pacific Beach

955 Grand Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92109

Staff in general is good, but the current Executive Director is horrible. As financial POA I would expect an answer when I email him. They are sending financial documents to another family member in a … (read more)

Silvergate Rancho Bernardo

16061 Avenida Venusto, San Diego, CA, 92128

Over the past year we have evaluated which Memory Care facilities would be the very best place for my mom. Through research we narrowed our visits to 8 different facilities and our trip to Silvergate … (read more)

Point Loma Estates Memory Care

3423 Channel Way, San Diego, CA, 92110

My brother will be moving into Point Loma Estates Memory Care. The tour experience was very positive. I like the community itself. I love the style and the fact that all they do is memory care. The fa … (read more)

Harborview Chateau Inc

2360 Albatross Street, San Diego, CA, 92101

Harborview Chateau is clean, well-run, very nicely updated, and with big rooms. They take tours, they go to the beach, and more than once a week, high school people come in and give musical concerts. … (read more)

Ridgeview Health Center

9825 Glen Center Dr., San Diego, CA, 92131

2016

St. Paul’s Villa

2340 Fourth Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92101

St. Paul’s Villa appears run down, and there were repairs that needed to be made. Some of the staff members were indifferent. We saw a separate room with a shared bath. The dining room was quite nice. … (read more)

2016

Nazareth House

6333 RANCHO MISSION ROAD, San Diego, CA, 92108

Cloisters of the Valley

4171 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, CA, 92108

I’ve already found a home for my grandma, and she loves it. She is at Cloisters of the Valley. We haven’t found anything that we don’t like about the facility. Something that I like the most is that t … (read more)

ActivCare at 4S Ranch

10603 Rancho Bernardo Road, San Diego, CA, 92127

My relative was a resident of ActivCare at 4S Ranch for 2 months. The place was beautiful and very clean. It was very nice to go visit. The staff was wonderful. They all were very, very nice and accom … (read more)

Joy & Jay Home Care

12946 Amaranth St., San Diego, CA, 92129

Thank you for having my father there for the last 6 months of his life. Your staff is great and very helpful in communication, especially with showing up for outside visits through the window during t … (read more)

ActivCare at Mission Bay

2440 Grand Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92109

My dad has moved into ActivCare at Mission Bay. It’s great. It is a pleasant-looking environment, clean, and the rooms are comfortable and spacious. There are lots of staff, and there are nurses on-ha … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Memory Care in San Diego

Since most COVID-19 rules for Memory Care Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Memory Care in California. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Memory Care in San Diego

The California Assisted Living Association monitors memory care facilities in San Diego and the rest of the state. These facilities are licensed as residential care homes for the elderly. Facilities that provide dementia care meet additional guidelines for staffing, staff ratios, care planning, recreational programming and building requirements.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Memory Care in San Diego

• San Diego is a relatively expensive place to live, even compared to California’s high cost of living. Housing costs are among the highest in the state, and residents typically pay more for groceries, utilities and transportation than in other California cities. To help seniors control living costs, local agencies, such as the Area Agency on Aging, provide options counseling and public benefits screenings.
  • San Diego is a fairly safe city to live in, which may provide peace of mind to families with loved ones in long-term care. On a 100-point index, the city’s violent crime frequency is rated 24.4 and property crime is rated 31.4, compared to the national respective scores of 22.7 and 35.4. FBI data indicates that crime occurrences have been trending downward for two decades.
  • San Diego’s weather makes it one of the most comfortable cities in the nation to live in. The city gets no snow and only about 12 inches of annual rainfall, and year-round high temperatures range from 66-82 degrees. Memory care facilities have secured outdoor areas where residents enjoy activities, such as walking and gardening.
  • Health care costs in San Diego are about 15% lower than in the typical U.S. city, and there is a relatively high number of doctors per capita, which may benefit those managing chronic conditions, such as dementia. The city is home to two top-rating hospitals, UC San Diego Health and Scripps La Jolla Hospital.
  • San Diego’s air quality is subpar, with the American Lung Association grading the region an F for ozone pollution and a D for particle pollution. This may impact the quality of life for those with respiratory or cardiovascular conditions.
  • Seniors in San Diego don’t pay state income taxes on Social Security benefits, but all other types of retirement income are fully taxed at the state’s high rates. Sales and property taxes are very high, but seniors may be able to avoid these expenses by transitioning to residential care.
  • San Diego is designated a Dementia-Friendly community, meaning that it has public spaces, emergency response systems and housing options for those with Alzheimer’s.

Paying for Memory Care in San Diego

In San Diego, memory care services are provided by specially licensed assisted living facilities and cost about 20-30% more than standard care. Because no authoritative data sources are available with this cost information, we estimate memory care costs by adding 25% to the assisted living rates in the Genworth 2021 Cost of Care Survey.

The Cost of Memory Care in Nearby Cities

Nationally, seniors pay $5,625 per month for memory care, and in California, rates are among the highest in the nation at $6,523. San Diego seniors pay even more for care, with memory care facilities charging $6,844 per month on average. In the Santa Cruz area, care costs are a little higher at $6,938, and in El Centro, residents pay approximately $7,688. Santa Rosa is among the costliest cities in California for care, with rates averaging $8,810. Those seeking more affordable care may consider Riverside, where rates are nearly $2,000 per month lower than in San Diego at $5,000.

$6844

Santa Rosa Area

$6938

Santa Cruz Area

The Cost of Other Types of Care

Seniors in San Diego pay $6,844 for memory care, making this type of care one of the more expensive senior care options. Costs in nursing homes, which provide around-the-clock medical care and monitoring, exceed memory care rates at $9,384 for semiprivate accommodations and $12,167 for private rooms. Basic homemaker services cost $6,387 and specialized home health aide services are a little higher at $6,473. Assisted living services are more moderately priced at $5,475, and adult day health care is the cheapest senior care option at $2,058.

$6844

Nursing Home (semiprivate)

$12167

Nursing Home (private)

Financial Assistance for Memory Care in San Diego

In San Diego there are options for seniors who need financial assistance paying for Memory Care. For more information about other options, who qualifies, and how to apply, Memory Care in California page.

More ways to pay for memory care in CA

More Ways to Pay for Memory Care

While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for memory care, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance memory care costs include:

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance memory care, visit our Memory Care in California page.

Free Memory Care Resources in San Diego

San Diego seniors and families have access to numerous local nonprofit organizations and government agencies that help them make informed decisions regarding dementia care. Through these resources, individuals can connect with legal and financial advisors, find early-stage engagement programs and learn more about local long-term care options.

Resource

Contact

Description

The San Diego chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association has information and referral specialists who provide emotional support and guidance on obtaining memory support services in the community, including support groups, educational webinars and early-stage engagement activities. It also has an up-to-date resource database of medical providers, legal agencies, financial planners and options counselors in the region.

Alzheimer’s San Diego is a nonprofit program with online educational resources for seniors and families affected by dementia. It publishes a regular blog that covers Alzheimer’s-related topics and has a free helpline that provides information and referrals for community resources.

George G. Glenner Alzheimer’s Family Centers offer support services and day programs for older adults living with Alzheimer’s. Through its GLENNERCARE platform, individuals can obtain support, referrals and professional recommendations, helping them understand memory care options and treatments.

The Shiley-Marcos Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center gives individuals the opportunity to participate in important research studies to help learn more about the link between aging and memory loss. It also provides free memory care screening services, regular newsletters and educational resources.

Aging and Independence Services is the Area Agency on Aging for San Diego. Through this resource, seniors and families get information and referrals for legal specialists, financial counselors and health insurance options counselors, which can help them navigate dementia services and payment options.

Memory Care Laws and Regulations in San Diego

San Diego Memory Care Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Memory Care Facilities in California are required to follow. Visit our Memory Care in California page for more information about these laws.

Laws and Regulations for memory care in California