97 Assisted Living Facilities near La Mesa, CA
There are 97 Assisted Living Facilities in the La Mesa area, with 13 in La Mesa and 84 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in La Mesa is $3,608 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Lemon Grove with an average starting cost of $3,430.
To help you with your search, browse the 266 reviews below for assisted living facilities in La Mesa. On average, consumers rate assisted living in La Mesa 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lemon Grove with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 9 families in La Mesa find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in La Mesa, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in La Mesa, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in La Mesa
La Mesa is ranked as the fifth Best Place to Retire in the San Diego Area due to the areas’ scenic trails and the water activities at Lake Murray Park. Seniors can stroll through the annual La Mesa Farmers Market featuring fresh fruits and vegetables and the Grossmont Shopping Center for some goodies. Seniors who require help with daily living tasks, including nursing care and medication administration in La Mesa have a choice between 11 assisted living facilities in the city limits and 51 nearby.
Assisted living facilities are referred to as residential care facilities in La Mesa and the state of California. They are regulated by the Department of Social Services Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in La Mesa
- The La Mesa area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in San Diego.
- La Mesa has an array of community resources for seniors, including the San Diego Oasis, an organization that provides lifelong learning classes, wellness programs and volunteer opportunities, as well as at least two senior centers.
- Seniors can receive rides to and from doctors’ appointments and for various errands and outings through the Rides4Neighbors program. This program is available for riders 60 or older or individuals with disabilities.
- La Mesa has a cost of living of 155, which is higher when compared to the national average of 100. It is only slightly higher than the state’s average of 152. Seniors on a tight budget may find it challenging financially to settle in La Mesa.
- Crime in La Mesa is only slightly higher than the nation’s average for property crime. This average is ranked on a scale from one (low) to 100 (high). For violent crime, La Mesa is ranked 30.9, while the national average is 31.1. For property crime, La Mesa ranks 45.0, and the national average is 38.1. Seniors living in La Mesa should be aware of the crime rate when going out to explore the area.
- La Mesa rarely gets any snow, which is ideal for seniors who want to get away from the frozen temperatures. Summer highs are around 83 degrees while January lows are around 44.
Paying for Assisted Living in La Mesa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in La Mesa start around $3,608 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in La Mesa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in La Mesa
Public financing is available for La Mesa seniors who need assistance paying for an assisted living facility. This assistance is available through the California Medicaid Assisted Living Waiver Program. This program does not cover the room and board of a resident, but an additional optional state supplement (OSS) that may be allowed for a private room provided the charge does not exceed 10 percent of the room and board portion of the SSI/OSS payment.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in La Mesa
La Mesa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in La Mesa, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in La Mesa
La Mesa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in La Mesa, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in La Mesa
Review of Grossmont Gardens
Grossmont Gardens was fine. The place was a little old and dated though. We were not interested in it. The staff members were friendly; there was no problem there. The grounds were nice but the pla... Read more
Review of Westmont of La Mesa
Westmont is newly constructed. The rooms are excellent and well-equipped. The common areas are inviting and friendly. The staff members are informative, cooperative and enthusiastic. It is located ... Read more
Review of The Montera
The Montera has been recently renovated. It's modernized and lovely. Their apartments are more than satisfactory. They are large and well kept. They have a very nice restaurant, too. The place is w... Read more