84 Assisted Living Facilities near National City, CA
There are 84 Assisted Living Facilities in the National City area, with 5 in National City and 79 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in National City is $2,988 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Spring Valley with an average starting cost of $2,850.
To help you with your search, browse the 304 reviews below for assisted living facilities in National City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in National City 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bonita with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in National City, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in National City, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in National City
National City, California, was founded by the Kimball brothers who brought citrus and olives to the region and is the home of the Mile of Cars, which some of the city's 6,000 seniors may enjoy. Seniors in National City who need help with the activities of daily living, such as grooming and meal preparation can choose from five assisted living facilities located in National City and 76 more in nearby neighborhoods like La Mesa and Chula Vista.
In National City, and throughout the state of California, assisted living facilities are known as Residential Care Facilities and are overseen by the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in National City
- California does not tax seniors on Social Security benefits, which could be good news to seniors who are thinking of relocating to National City.
- As part of San Diego County, National City is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The National City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Paradise Valley Hospital and Prime Health Care, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- National City’s cost of living is 146.1, more than 46 points higher than the national average of 100. Groceries and transportation also rank higher than the average, although healthcare expenses are lower than the average at 85.4. The high cost of living is largely driven by the areas housing prices which although they might not directly impact area seniors, they could ultimately drive up facility operating costs.
Crime rates in National City are very close to the U.S. averages, which could help ease the minds of seniors or families thinking of relocating to the area. The city’s violent crime rate is 24.2 and the property crime rate is 36.7, both only slightly higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- National City has summer temperatures of 76 degrees and winter temperatures of 46. The city doesn’t get any snow, although it does receive 12 inches of rain annually. With over 258 sunny days each year, 53 more than the national average of 205, the city might be a great location for seniors who prefer moderately warm weather year-round.
Paying for Assisted Living in National City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in National City start around $2,988 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in National City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in National City
Seniors requiring some assistance with assisted living expenses may benefit from Medi-Cal, California’s Medicaid program. Medi-Cal also offers two waiver programs to further help seniors with costs, the Assisted Living Waiver program and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in National City
National City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in National City, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in National City
National City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near National City, CA
Other Options in National City, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in National City
Review of Paradise Valley Manor
I liked Paradise Valley Manor a lot. It was nice, but their surroundings was old. The building was built in 1969, and that was the only drawback. Everybody was extremely friendly. The dining area w... Read more
Review of Paradise Village
Friendliest staff anywhere - always willing to help and offering a hello. Beautiful facility - I especially like the semi-olympic lap pool and spa Great food restaurant style in an attractive set... Read more
Review of Paradise Valley Manor
My aunt is in Paradise Valley Manor. She's enjoying the food, and she participates in the activities. They have an enthusiastic staff and they do a lot of fun things with the residents there. The p... Read more