118 Assisted Living Facilities near El Cajon, CA
Also serving communities of Jamul.
There are 118 Assisted Living Facilities in the El Cajon area, with 25 in El Cajon and 93 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in El Cajon is $3,647 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Spring Valley with an average starting cost of $2,850.
To help you with your search, browse the 343 reviews below for assisted living facilities in El Cajon. On average, consumers rate assisted living in El Cajon 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Santee with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in El Cajon, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in El Cajon, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in El Cajon
El Cajon,"The Big Box" as it is called, is situated in a valley surrounded by beautiful mountain views , just 17 miles from Downtown San Diego. Over 11 percent of residents are age 65 and over and they have 23 assisted living communities to choose from with 35 more nearby. Assisted living facilities (ALFs) in El Cajon are regulated by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD) and are offically called Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in El Cajon
- Residents of El Cajon experience some of the worse air quality. The city is ranked 5th in the nation for ozone pollution by the American Lung Association. Residents suffering from respiratory issues may find this problematic.
- El Cajon has an array of community resources for seniors, including the El Cajon Recreation Department, an organization that assists local seniors with activities, recreations, banquet events and learning more information, as well as having six senior centers.
- El Cajon is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership "has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or country a great place for people of all ages," according to AARP.
- California is known for not being tax-friendly and does not provide seniors with a tax-exemption on retirement income other than SSI. El Cajon residents have a combined 8.25 percent sales tax compared to the 6 percent national average and 8.54 percent state average.
- The cost of living in El Cajon is 50 percent higher than the national average. Seniors may enjoy lower expenses versus surrounding areas, including a 7 percent decrease in groceries and 9 percent decrease in utilities. Fewer expenses are helpful for low-income seniors.
- El Cajon has higher violent and property crime rates per square mile than most cities, making it only 21 percent safer than other cities in the nation. It is 31 percent more reliable than other cities in California and may be a concern for seniors considering an assisted living facility here.
Paying for Assisted Living in El Cajon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in El Cajon start around $3,300 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in El Cajon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in El Cajon
Seniors in El Cajon can receive financial assistance through the Med-Cali Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Assisted Living Waiver (ALW), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or the optional state supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in El Cajon
El Cajon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in El Cajon, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in El Cajon
El Cajon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in El Cajon, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in El Cajon
Review of Lo-Har Senior Living
I have my own room in Lo-Har Senior Living. They help me with showers, they provide three meals a day, they help me with medications, they clean the room, and they wash my laundry. They have an act... Read more
Review of Good Samaritan Retirement Center
I went to Good Samaritan Retirement Center. That was one of my top choices, but the price was out of my budget. It was absolutely beautiful, very quiet, very tranquil, and when I first walked in th... Read more
Review of Parkway Gardens Retirement Care Home
My mom was a resident at Parkway Gardens before she passed away, the faculty always treated her with the utmost respect and was always there whenever Mom needed anything. She was treated great. ... Read more