33 Assisted Living Facilities near Santa Maria, CA
There are 33 Assisted Living Facilities in the Santa Maria area, with 16 in Santa Maria and 17 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Santa Maria is $2,383 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 62 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Santa Maria. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Santa Maria 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Nipomo with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Santa Maria find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Santa Maria, call (855) 863-8283.
16 Assisted Living Facilities in Santa Maria, CA
17 Assisted Living Facilities near Santa Maria, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Santa Maria
On the southern California coast in Santa Barbara County, Santa Maria is bigger than most cities in the state and has 100 years of history for seniors to explore. It's population is over 107,000 with those ages 65 and over making up almost 10 percent of it. Seniors requiring help with daily living tasks who want to live in a community of peers experiencing similar challenges can choose from 16 residential care communities in Santa Maria and 13 in surrounding towns. These communities are regulated by the California Code of Regulations as well as the RCFE Act to make sure elderly residents are cared for in safe, respectful manner.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Santa Maria
- As evidenced by the lower monthly costs of living in an assisted living facility there, the cost of living in Santa Maria is lower than it is in other, bigger cities such as Los Angeles. However, since California is still prime real estate, the cost of living in Santa Maria is still slightly higher than the national average.
- The crime rate in Santa Maria is higher than even more heavily populated areas such as Los Angeles when it comes to both violent crimes and property crimes.
- There are multiple services that provide transportation for elderly or disabled residents in Santa Maria. SMOOTH, for example, provides transportation for seniors over the age of 60 and promotes a safe, community-driven experience.
- Santa Maria has a thriving arts community. There are many opportunities for seniors and their families alike to take in art, theater, or concerts on a semi-regular basis.
- Santa Maria has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Central Coast Commission for Senior Citizens, an organization that helps seniors in the San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties to be more active in their community while maintaining their independence.
- The Santa Maria area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Marian Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Santa Maria
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Santa Maria start around $2,383 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Santa Maria and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Santa Maria
Seniors who require financial assistance with an ALF can seek eligibility through the California Medicaid program. Low-income individuals who prefer to live in an ALF can also apply to receive help through the Assisted Living Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Santa Maria
Santa Maria and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Santa Maria, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Santa Maria
Santa Maria-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Santa Maria, CA
Other Options in Santa Maria, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Santa Maria
Review of Santa Maria Terrace
I moved into Santa Maria Terrace and they have been very nice. I use a walker, I have neuropathy, and I can't cook my own meals. However, the staff members are really super. They're so helpful and ... Read more
Review of Merrill Gardens at Santa Maria
I was at Merrill Gardens at Santa Maria. I liked it. It was run by a bigger corporation, but the rent was twice as much as other places. My room had a kitchenette with a full sized refrigerator and... Read more
Review of Merrill Gardens at Santa Maria
The restaurant at Merrill Gardens at Santa Maria is pretty much open from 7 in the morning to 7 at night, and I like that feature very much because I don't always feel like eating at a set time. It... Read more