47 Assisted Living Facilities near Carlsbad, CA
With an average cost of $4,387 in Carlsbad, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 72 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 19 facilities in Carlsbad.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Carlsbad, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Carlsbad
Carlsbad is located on the Pacific coastline in northern San Diego County. It is a resort town, attracting tourists and residents to its beachfront hotels and attractions like Legoland, SeaWorld, and the San Diego Safari Park. Seniors ages 65 and over make up over 16 percent of the residents in Carlsbad, prompting the development of 19 residential care facilities in the city and another 29 located in surrounding communities such as Oceanside, Encinitas and Vistas. These facilities are regulated by the California Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Carlsbad
- The overall cost of living in Carlsbad is nearly double the national average. While housing is 297 percent higher than average, expenses such as transportation and health care are considerably less shocking at a little more than 10 percent higher than the U.S. average.
- Carlsbad is safer than 32 percent of U.S. cities and has reasonably low crime rates. Residents have only a 1 in 535 chance of becoming a victim of violent crime and a 1 in 51 chance of becoming a victim of property crime, which is lower than 1 in 225 and 1 in 39, respectively, for the state.
- The Carlsbad area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Scripps Memorial Hospital, in case of medical emergencies or illness.
- Social security income is tax-exempt in California. Seniors will be able to use these savings towards the cost of assisted living.
- Carlsbad has plenty of safe public transportation options available to seniors including public buses, shuttles, a train and rideshare options.
- The climate in Carlsbad is incredibly mild and comfortable year-round. The average high during the summertime is 75 degrees and the city sees very little precipitation.
Paying for Assisted Living in Carlsbad
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Carlsbad start around $4,416 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Carlsbad and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Carlsbad
The state of California's Medicaid 1915(c) Assisted Living Waiver will pay for the services provided by residential care facilities for eligible seniors who live in certain counties, including San Diego County.
California offers seniors an optional supplement to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) that can be used to help pay for room and board in residential care facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Carlsbad
Carlsbad and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Carlsbad, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Carlsbad
Carlsbad-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Carlsbad, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Carlsbad
Review of Sunrise at La Costa
I love Sunrise at La Costa. For me it would be an ideal place. I just love the arrangement, the living condition, and the area. It is a very nice, clean, modern place. The staff was very friendly a... Read more
Review of Sunrise at La Costa
Sunrise at La Costa was a bit smaller and warmer than where my mother currently is. Everything was kind of grouped together, and there's a smaller overall number of residents. The price was much hi... Read more
Review of Brookdale Carlsbad
We had a very detailed tour of Brookdale Carlsbad. They had a skilled nursing center. Overall, it appeared very well maintained and well kept, and the people we engaged with were friendly. They had... Read more