116 Assisted Living Facilities near San Marcos, CA
There are 116 Assisted Living Facilities in the San Marcos area, with 16 in San Marcos and 100 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in San Marcos is $3,557 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Solana Beach with an average starting cost of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 447 reviews below for assisted living facilities in San Marcos. On average, consumers rate assisted living in San Marcos 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Vista with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in San Marcos find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in San Marcos, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in San Marcos, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in San Marcos
Located in the foothills of San Diego County, San Marcos is close to both San Diego and the Pacific Ocean. Seniors here account for about 11 percent of the population and there are 16 assisted living facilities in San Marcos and 40 nearby to accommodate them. These facilities provide help with activities of daily living and 24 hour supervision for seniors who do not need nursing care, and they are regulated by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in San Marcos
- The cost of living in San Marcos is higher than both the state and national medians, by 7.2 percent and 63 percent, respectively. Health care fees are considered more expensive for seniors both nationally and statewide and should be considered in a limited-income budget.
- California does not provide seniors with a tax-exemption on retirement income other than SSI. San Marcos residents have a combined 7.75 percent sales tax compared to the 6 percent national average and 8.54 percent state average.
- San Marcos, part of San Diego County, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership "has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or country a great place for people of all ages," according to AARP.
- Located inside San Diego County, San Marcos is known for having some of the worse air quality in the nation. It was placed in the top 10 list of most polluted cities by the American Lung Association. Seniors who suffer from respiratory issues may find breathing here tricky, especially during the fall and spring months.
- San Marcos has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Escondido, California.
- San Marcos is considered a relatively safe place with low violent and property crime rates. Only 28 percent of other California communities are deemed safer to live than San Marcos, allowing seniors to enjoy safe late night events.
Paying for Assisted Living in San Marcos
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in San Marcos start around $3,557 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in San Marcos and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in San Marcos
San Marcos seniors have an option to apply for three financial aid programs with assisted living facilities. These include Med-Cali Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Assisted Living Waiver (ALW), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and the optional state supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in San Marcos
San Marcos and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in San Marcos, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in San Marcos
San Marcos-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in San Marcos, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in San Marcos
Review of Silvergate San Marcos
The decision to move our beloved Mom in to an Assisted Living environment was not easy by any measure and moving her to the Memory Care when it was clear that she needed the extra care was not eith... Read more
Review of Meridian at Lake San Marcos
The first thing I noticed about the Meridian was the welcome sign with my name and my mother-in-laws that is a warm welcome. Secondly the friendliness from everyone, and the amazing decor. Our host... Read more
Review of Meridian at Lake San Marcos
I searched many facilities before choosing The Meridian. It was by far the best place I found. I have a one bedroom apartment and my furniture fits beautifully. I have lived here for two and a half... Read more