87 Assisted Living Facilities near Newark, CA
There are 87 Assisted Living Facilities in the Newark area, with 3 in Newark and 84 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Newark is $3,600 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Union City with an average starting cost of $3,200.
To help you with your search, browse the 287 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Newark. Better rated regions include Fremont with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Newark, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Newark, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Newark
Newark, California, located in Alameda County, was built on reclaimed swampland and named after a castle in Scotland. Today, it's home to about 42,600 people, 11 percent of whom are 65 or older. Seniors with a penchant for science can visit the Mount View Computer History Museum or one of the many nearby parks.
For seniors who need help with daily activities, the area has 85 assisted living facilities; three in Newark itself. In Newark and the rest of the state, assisted living facilities are called Residential Care Facilities (RCFs), which are monitored by the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Newark
- At 221, Newark's cost of living ranks more than double the national average of 100 and much higher than the California average of 168. This is driven by housing costs at 475, roughly five times the national average. Healthcare and utilities are on par with the national averages, which may benefit family members moving here to be closer to senior loved ones who are living in RCFs.
- Violent crime in Newark is a low 14.0 compared to the U.S. average of 22.7. However, Newark's property crime of 38.4 is a bit higher than the national average of 35.4. Seniors may want to ask what security measures are in place at facilities they tour.
- Although no snow falls in Newark, the city receives about 22 inches of rain annually, which is less than the national average of 39. The moderate climate includes an annual temperature range of 42 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit, which may benefit seniors with arthritis and other weather-sensitive health conditions.
- Using the National Air Toxics Assessment, the EPA has assigned Newark an air quality of 61, a bit higher than the national average of 58. This rating represents respiratory illness and cancer risk due to air pollution. Seniors should breathe a bit easier here than in many U.S. cities.
- Based on income from pensions and retirement accounts, California fully taxes seniors in Newark and the rest of the state at some of the highest income tax rates in the United States. Social Security benefits are exempt, but California is an unfriendly state for taxes. Seniors on a fixed income may be even more crunched under California's tax structure.
- Newark has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Fremont.
Paying for Assisted Living in Newark
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Newark start around $3,600 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Newark and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Newark
The state’s Medicaid 1915(c) Assisted Living Waiver program pays for services in RCFs in several California counties, including Alameda, where Newark is located.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Newark
Newark and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Newark, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Newark
Newark-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.