129 Assisted Living Facilities near Lake Forest, CA
There are 129 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lake Forest area, with 15 in Lake Forest and 114 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lake Forest is $3,216 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Laguna Woods with an average starting cost of $3,075.
To help you with your search, browse the 333 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lake Forest. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lake Forest 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Laguna Hills with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lake Forest, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Lake Forest, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lake Forest
The Lake Forest city motto is "remember the past, challenge the future," which the city does through the diligent preservation of its rich cultural heritage. This city has a little over 84,000 residents, including a large senior community that accounts for about 12 percent of the population.
Lake Forest seniors have over a dozen assisted living facilities to choose from, and those who are willing to venture outside the city proper can find over 100 more options. In this city, as in all of California, assisted living facilities are also called residential care facilities for the elderly. These facilities are licensed through the Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lake Forest
- Lake Forest seniors do not pay state income tax on Social Security benefits, but all other types of retirement income are fully taxable. California's state income tax and sales tax are both among the highest in the nation, which may be a consideration for some seniors.
- The air quality in Orange County, where Lake Forest is located, is very poor. The level of ozone pollution, also called smog, is very high, with the American Lung Association giving the county an F for this type of pollution. the county was also given a D for short-term particle pollution. This may be a concern for seniors with conditions like asthma or COPD.
- Lake Forest is a relatively safe community, with its overall crime rate ranking 64 out of 100. The city's crime rate is among the lowest in the nation for a city of that size. This may make Lake Forest a good option for retirees who are relocating to California.
- Lake Forest has a comfortable year-round climate, which may appeal to active seniors who enjoy outdoor activities. The warm period lasts from early July to late September, when the average high is 83 degrees, and the cool period lasts from late November to the middle of March, when highs are in the mid-60s.
- The Lake Forest area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Laguna Hills.
- The overall cost of living in Lake Forest is about 20 percent higher than the state average and almost 90 percent higher than the national average. This is primarily due to high housing costs, though seniors may also expect to pay about 20 percent more for transportation expenses like gasoline and auto insurance.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lake Forest
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Lake Forest start around $3,216 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lake Forest and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lake Forest
Lake Forest seniors who meet income and asset guidelines may have some of their assisted living expenses covered through Medi-Cal and its Assisted Living Waiver program and Supplemental Security Income – Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lake Forest
Lake Forest and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lake Forest, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lake Forest
Lake Forest-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Lake Forest, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lake Forest
Review of Freedom Village
Freedom Village is perfect. We have everything you can imagine like card games, shopping, dominoes, a library, a spa, a garden, and an outdoor bistro. The food is excellent. The dining area has pic... Read more
Review of Meison La Paz II
Meison La Paz II is A1. They have nurses. They're clean and make fresh food. There's not very many patients. They're very patient with my mother and they treat her like a queen, and being a mama's ... Read more
Review of Freedom Village
Freedom Village was a very nice place. The rooms were very nice. My friend had a 2-bedroom with a kitchen and a little place for her cat. They have a whole lot of activities like crafts, swimming, ... Read more