39 Assisted Living Facilities near Highland, CA
There are 39 Assisted Living Facilities in the Highland area, with 4 in Highland and 35 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Highland is $3,291 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,650. Cheaper nearby regions include San Bernardino with an average starting cost of $2,900.
To help you with your search, browse the 136 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Highland. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Highland 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include San Bernardino with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Highland find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Highland, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Highland, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Highland
Highland, California is located in San Bernardino County. With a population of 54,490, Highland offers 37 assisted living facilities (ALFs) in the Highland area, with three in Highland and 34 nearby. The activities of daily living (ADLs) and provided care for each facility are monitored and regulated by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Highland
- The weather in Highland, California, is very moderate, with a July high average temperature of 78 degrees and a December low monthly average of 51 degrees. November sees the most precipitation with 19.8 inches. The moderate temperature attracts many seniors to this area.
- The air quality index in Highland is 70 percent worse than the national average, and the pollution index in Highland is 523 percent worse than the national average, making it difficult for seniors with respiratory issues.
- The overall crime rate in Highland is 12 percent lower than the national average. For every 100,000 people, there are 6.82 daily crimes in Highland, so seniors can typically travel around town confidently on day trips away from a facility.
- The cost of living in Highland is 15 percent below the California average and 18 percent higher than the national average. The cost of housing in Highland is 33 percent higher than the national average, which impacts the cost of assisted living facilities.
- California general sales tax is 42 percent higher than the national average, and the state fully taxes income from retirement accounts and pensions at some of the highest income tax rates in the country. Social Security retirement benefits are exempt, but California has some of the highest sales taxes in the United States.
- Highland has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital, Dignity Health Community Hospital, located in San Bernardino.
- The Highland Senior Center offers activities and resources to seniors. The AARP has numerous suggestions for museums, events and restaurants to check out in the area.
Paying for Assisted Living in Highland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Highland start around $3,048 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Highland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Highland
San Marcos seniors have the option to apply for three financial aid programs with assisted living facilities. These include Med-Cali Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Assisted Living Waiver (ALW), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and the optional state supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Highland
Highland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Highland, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Highland
Highland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Highland
Review of Hillsong Senior Living
Extremely caring place. My father is a resident here. The staff are amazing. The management is outstanding. Everyone communicates very well. Visitors are welcomed like family. It is very clean and ... Read more
Review of Highland Senior Home Care
My mother-in-law is in Highland Senior Home Care. It's very pleasant because of the small numbers of residents, and mother is getting very good, individualized care. They take care of many things. ... Read more
Review of Hillsong Senior Living
From admission to discharge my Father was treated with outstanding care. The staff was attentive to every single need he or I had and went above and beyond their responsibilities. The food was amaz... Read more