53 Assisted Living Facilities near Stockton, CA
Also serving communities of Linden.
There are 53 Assisted Living Facilities in the Stockton area, with 40 in Stockton and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Stockton is $3,160 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Manteca with an average starting cost of $2,898.
To help you with your search, browse the 176 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Stockton. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Stockton 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Brentwood with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 7 families in Stockton find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Stockton, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Stockton, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Stockton
Stockton is a culturally rich and diverse town in San Joaquin County, California with a population of over 300,000 people — 12 percent seniors 65 and over. There are 59 assisted living facilities around Stockton, 40 in Stockton and 19 nearby. Assisted living facilities in Stockton are also known as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly. These facilities provide housing and assistance to residents over 60 and are regulated by the California Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Stockton
- July is the warmest month, averaging 77 degrees, while the lowest average temperature of 46 degrees occurs in January. The wettest month of the year is January, which sees 2.6 inches of rain.
- The air quality index in Stockton is 14 percent worse than the national average, and the pollution index here is 53 percent worse than the national average. This can make it difficult for seniors with respiratory conditions.
- The cost of living in Stockton is 22 percent lower than the state average and 8 percent higher than the U.S. average. This is largely due to the cost of housing, which impacts monthly fees at assisted living facilities, and the high California general sales tax, which is 42 percent higher than the national average.
- California fully taxes retirement accounts and pensions and has some of highest state income tax rates in the U.S. Social Security retirement benefits are exempt, which gives seniors a bit of a break and can free up cash for assisted living facility expenses.
- The crime rate in Stockton is 83 percent higher than the U.S. national average. For every 100,000 people, there are 14.23 daily crimes in Stockton, netting the city an F. Stockton is safer than just 4 percent of other U.S. cities.
- Arts and culture opportunities in Stockton include a local farmers market, music and food festivals, all of which seniors can enjoy on day trips with visitors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Stockton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Stockton start around $3,160 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Stockton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Stockton
Seniors can find financial assistance through the state’s Medicaid Assisted Living Waiver program, which pays for services in assisted living facilities in several counties. The state provides an optional state supplement (OSS) to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients living in an assisted living facility and caps room and board charges for Medicaid-eligible residents to the combined federal SSI and OSS payments minus a personal needs allowance.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Stockton
Stockton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Stockton, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Stockton
Stockton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Stockton, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Stockton
Review of Sunny Place Of Stockton
Very friendly and cheerful staff. The caregivers really set the good environment for the place. The caregivers are more than happy to give updates and FaceTime with our family member while we are l... Read more
Review of The Commons on Thornton
The Commons on Thornton was great. The director of sales was really pleasant, checked back with me a couple of times, and even checked with me after mom had to go to the hospital because she had pn... Read more
Review of J & M Care Home
J & M Care Home was horrible. I lost 40 pounds there. The meals were horrible. The place wasn't the cleanest. They lacked food preparedness. For nine days in a row, I had nothing but a ham sand... Read more