31 Assisted Living Facilities near Santa Barbara, CA
There are 31 Assisted Living Facilities in the Santa Barbara area, with 25 in Santa Barbara and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Santa Barbara is $3,948 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 59 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Santa Barbara. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Santa Barbara 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Carpinteria with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Santa Barbara, call (855) 863-8283.
25 Assisted Living Facilities in Santa Barbara, CA
6 Assisted Living Facilities near Santa Barbara, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara is considered "The American Rivera" because of its Mediterranean climate and location between the Santa Ynez Mountains and the Pacific Ocean. Seniors may enjoy the scenic views of Sterns Wharf, zoological gardens, the Solvang and the Chumash Reservation, and Santa Barbara's lush vineyards.
Seniors will find 25 assisted living facilities, called residential care facilities, in Santa Barbara, with six located in nearby areas like Montecito and Goleta.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Santa Barbara
- Seniors in Santa Barbara enjoy a comfortable climate with approximately 283 sunny days annually, which is more than the U.S. average of 205. Santa Barbara ranks a high 84 out of 100 on Sperling's Comfort Index, beating the national average of 54.
- Santa Barbara is ranked by the American Lung Association as one of the cleanest cities for short-term particle pollution. The air quality rating in Santa Barbara is 64 out of 100; the U.S. average is lower at 58.
- It’s easy and affordable for seniors to get around Santa Barbara thanks to the city’s public transportation system. Seniors 62 and older with valid ID pay reduced rates for both the standard bus service and the shuttle service.
- Santa Barbara is rich with arts and culture, which is one reason this city is often referred to as the American Riviera. Many assisted living facilities offer supervised outings to attractions like the Santa Barbara Zoo and the Santa Barbara Museum of Art.
- The cost of living in Santa Barbara ranks 254 on a 100-point index, meaning the cost is more than 2.5 times higher than the U.S. average. Los Angeles, for comparison, ranks around 166. Everything from housing to groceries may be pricier in Santa Barbara compared with other cities in California and the United States.
- Santa Barbara has a property crime rate of 41.9 out of 100. The national property crime rate is lower at 38.1. When it comes to violent crime, Santa Barbara is equal to the rest of the country at 31.1.
Paying for Assisted Living in Santa Barbara
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Santa Barbara start around $3,948 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Santa Barbara and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Santa Barbara
In Santa Barbara and other parts of California, seniors who meet eligibility requirements may qualify for an Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) to make assisted living costs more affordable. Seniors who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) may also qualify for an Optional State Supplement (OSS), which further reduces the total monthly costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Santa Barbara, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Santa Barbara, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Santa Barbara
Review of Wood Glen Hall
My family loves Woodglen Hall. It is so nice Visiting my mother there because the grounds are beautiful, her studio is comfortable and spacious, and there are several rooms to have private meals wi... Read more
Review of Grand Care
I was impressed with the staff. Highly recommend. ❤️ Read more
Review of Villa Santa Barbara
Villa Santa Barbara was nice. It's conveniently located because it's right across the street from my church and it's a couple of blocks from downtown Santa Barbara. It's in a beautiful neighborhood... Read more