174 Assisted Living Facilities near Folsom, CA
There are 174 Assisted Living Facilities in the Folsom area, with 11 in Folsom and 163 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Folsom is $4,116 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include El Dorado Hills with an average starting cost of $3,870.
To help you with your search, browse the 574 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Folsom. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Folsom 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Orangevale with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Folsom, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Folsom, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Folsom
Located in Sacramento County, Folsom is a name many are familiar with since singer Johnny Cash made Folsom State Prison famous. Folsom has much to offer residents of all ages, including lakes, rivers, paved paths, parks, and a historic district — enough to have been named the “Best place to raise a family in California.” It's also a good place for seniors to find assisted living — with ten facilities in Folsom and 52 nearby.
In California, assisted living facilities are considered Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFE). Each is regulated by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Folsom
- The cost of living in Folsom is 55 percent higher than the national average, making it a costly city to live for seniors. Residents in assisted living facilities pay 12 percent more for groceries, 8 percent more for health care and 8 percent more on transportation services than others in the nation.
- Folsom residents enjoy mild winters with the coldest months, October through April, averaging temperatures between 47 to 63 degrees Fahrenheit. Seniors enjoy warm summer months where temperatures average between 70 to 75 degrees and rarely exceed 95 degrees. Fit, healthy seniors should consider this for more outdoor ADLs.
- The combined crime rates in Folsom are 51 percent higher than those found in neighborhoods of comparable sizes in the state. This is due mainly to property crime rates, which are still 18.5 percent lower than the national average. Violent crimes are also 300 percent lower than in the rest of the nation.
- California is known for not being tax-friendly and does not provide seniors with a tax-exemption on retirement income, besides SSI. Redwood City residents have a combined 7.75 percent sales tax compared to the 6 percent national average and 8.54 percent state average.
- The Folsom area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mercy Hospital of Folsom and Kaiser Permanente Folsom Medical Offices, in the event of medical emergencies or illnesses.
- The air quality in Folsom is some of the worse in the nation. The American Lung Association (ALA) ranked it as one of the top 10 worse Ozone cities in the country. Seniors with respiratory issues may find difficulty breathing here.
Paying for Assisted Living in Folsom
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Folsom start around $4,116 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Folsom and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Folsom
Eligible seniors in Folsom have access to three financial assistance programs, including Med-Cali (Medicare) Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Assisted Living Waiver (ALW), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and the optional state supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Folsom
Folsom and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Folsom, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Folsom
Folsom-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Folsom, CA
Other Options in Folsom, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Folsom
Review of Brookdale Folsom
So HAPPY we selected Brookdale Folsom for my mom… The staff is AMAZING! They are kind, thoughtful, patient and truly care. My mom has been a resident for three months. Before coming to Brookd... Read more
Review of Brookdale Folsom
My father in law lived in this facility until his passing, there have been a couple hiccups along the way but in the last 8 months there has been new management staff added and I think they are all... Read more
Review of Folsom Comfort Care Home
Folsom Comfort Care home became a life saver for our family. My mom spent over 2 years here before passing away. Lina, the owner is passionate about seniors and has managed this home over 10 year... Read more