6 Assisted Living Facilities near Grass Valley, CA
Also serving communities of Nevada City.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Grass Valley area, with 5 in Grass Valley and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Grass Valley is $3,862 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Auburn with an average starting cost of $3,685.
To help you with your search, browse the 42 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Grass Valley. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Grass Valley 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Granite Bay with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Grass Valley, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Grass Valley, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Grass Valley
Grass Valley, CA, is one of the many small Gold Rush towns that line Highway 50 from Sacramento to the Nevada border. Six residential care facilities for the elderly (RCFEs) operate in this area that is nestled in the heavily wooded foothills region east of the Central Valley. These sites offer help with activities of daily living, such as dressing and grooming along with additional services based upon the prescribed service plan. The state regulates the RCFEs through its Department of Social Services Senior Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Grass Valley
- Grass Valley, CA, is up the hill from Sacramento, so it tends to get rather cooler and wetter weather than the state capital. Daily highs here rise to an average of 68 degrees Fahrenheit, and lows drop to 43 degrees. Rain and snow produce 54 inches of precipitation a year, which is much more than the nearby Valley communities receive.
- The American Lung Association gives most of Nevada County mixed ratings for air quality. Though this mountain community is not bad for particulate pollution most of the time, ozone levels can get high.
- Grass Valley is pricier than most communities in the United States and groceries and health costs are higher than other areas of California. The total costs of living index (142) is less than California's median range (152) but much higher than the national average of 100.
Sales tax in Grass Valley is a flat 8 percent on most purchases. That's the combined effect of California's 6-percent regular sales tax and the various city and county sales taxes totaling 2 percent. Property taxes in Nevada County can get high, and most forms of income are subject to California's 10.8-percent income tax.
- Crime in Grass Valley is lower than in most of the nation. Across all crime categories, Grass Valley consistently turns in figures that put it between half and two-thirds the national rates for violent and street crime.
- Gold Country Stage operates six regular bus routes around the Grass Valley area. Discounts and monthly passes are available for seniors who need this service, including a "Golden Ticket," a lifetime pass for individuals aged 80 and older.
Paying for Assisted Living in Grass Valley
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Grass Valley start around $3,862 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Grass Valley and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Grass Valley
Seniors residing in Grass Valley may be eligible for an Assisted Living Waiver that is administered by the California Department of Health Care Services. In addition, residents who currently receive SSI payments from Social Security may receive an optional state supplement and have their room and board rates capped by cooperating facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Grass Valley
Grass Valley and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Grass Valley, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Grass Valley
Grass Valley-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Grass Valley, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Grass Valley
Review of Atria Grass Valley
I am so pleased with Atria Grass Valley. They have a fantastic team of caring individuals and Natasha, the ED is professional and a wonderful leader. My Mom is very happy. Thank you! Read more
Review of Brunswick Village
I went to Brunswick Village. I liked the people there. I was a little bit worried that it was a Mardi Gras party and there were a lot of people in the main lobby not wearing masks. This was in Febr... Read more
Review of Atria Grass Valley
I have a distant family member living at this community and my family is so pleased with her care. Thank you! Read more