68 Assisted Living Facilities near Dana Point, CA
There are 68 Assisted Living Facilities in the Dana Point area, with 3 in Dana Point and 65 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Dana Point is $3,850 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include San Clemente with an average starting cost of $3,570.
To help you with your search, browse the 186 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Dana Point. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Dana Point 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Laguna Niguel with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Dana Point, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Dana Point, CA
65 Assisted Living Facilities near Dana Point, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Dana Point
The scenic coastal city of Dana Point in southern Orange County, California, lives up to its motto “harboring the good life,” offering a desirable community for retirees. With 20.5 percent of the population aged 65 and over, there are three assisted living facilities in Dana Point and 59 more in surrounding areas including Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo and San Clemente. These facilities in the Golden State are called Residential Care Facilities (RCFs) for the elderly and licensed by the Community Care Licensing Division of the Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Dana Point
- Dana Point’s pleasant year-round climate receives a Sperling comfort index of 82, which is higher than the national average of 54. Mild, snow-free winters, low precipitation and abundant sunshine let seniors enjoy harborside walks, sailing, fishing and whale watching.
- The high cost of living in Dana Point is primarily driven by housing, which is steeper than California state and national averages. However, other expense categories such as groceries, health care and transportation cost lower than the state average.
- Crime rate in Dana Point is 36 percent lower than the national average, where crimes in both violent and property categories occur at lower rates than California state and U.S. averages. This makes the city a relatively safer community for seniors.
- Seniors living in Dana Point can travel easily. Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) buses have fare discounts for seniors 60+, and the OCTA Senior Mobility Program offers free door-to-door transportation to Dana Point Senior Center. Free Dana Point Trolley rides during summer let seniors fully enjoy the city, and daily ferry rides to Avalon in Santa Catalina Island are provided by Catalina Express at reduced fares for passengers 55+. For non-emergency medical transportation, Age Well Senior Services caters to residents 60+.
- Home to the Festival of Whales and arguably the largest Tall Ships Festival in the West Coast, Dana Point has a thriving local arts and culture scene to revitalize seniors. An abundance of public art and yearly art shows keeps retirees visually stimulated, and seniors get ticket discounts to Dana Point Symphony concerts.
- The Dana Point area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Laguna Beach.
Paying for Assisted Living in Dana Point
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Dana Point start around $3,850 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Dana Point and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Dana Point
The cost of RCFs for the elderly in Dana Point are covered by the state of California through its Assisted Living Waiver (ALW) program, which qualifies seniors who are Medi-Cal beneficiaries.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Dana Point
Dana Point and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Dana Point, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Dana Point
Dana Point-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Dana Point, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Dana Point
Review of Aegis of Dana Point
I liked a lot at Aegis. It was very clean and very spacious, and the dining room was great. I ate there, and the food was excellent. The staff members were lovely, really nice, and really good. It ... Read more
Review of Aegis of Dana Point
My stepdad moved into Aegis of Dana Point six months ago. It is not a large facility. They have nice rooms and feels more like a home. The staff has been very helpful and good. We had a good lunch ... Read more
Review of Aegis of Dana Point
Aegis of Dana Point was really clean and updated with a modern look to it and felt inviting and welcoming. It did not have that hospital smell and feel; it felt like home. They had a clothing sale ... Read more