135 Assisted Living Facilities near San Juan Capistrano, CA
There are 135 Assisted Living Facilities in the San Juan Capistrano area, with 7 in San Juan Capistrano and 128 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in San Juan Capistrano is $4,432 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Dana Point with an average starting cost of $3,850.
To help you with your search, browse the 304 reviews below for assisted living facilities in San Juan Capistrano. On average, consumers rate assisted living in San Juan Capistrano 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Dana Point with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in San Juan Capistrano, call (855) 863-8283.
7 Assisted Living Facilities in San Juan Capistrano, CA
128 Assisted Living Facilities near San Juan Capistrano, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in San Juan Capistrano
Located in Orange County, California, the city of San Juan Capistrano was started by the Mission San Juan Capistrano and many of the buildings still feature their original Spanish architecture, especially in the Historic Downtown area. Seniors here — 17 percent of the population — will find art, music, and culture throughout the town as well as seven assisted living communities to choose from, with 53 more in surrounding communities.
In California, including San Juan Capistrano, assisted living facilities are called Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, or RCFEs. There is no restriction on the number of residents, so both small and large facilities are regulated by the Community Care Licensing division of the California Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in San Juan Capistrano
- San Juan Capistrano's excellent climate has made it a popular retirement location. Summer can get hot, with average highs in the low 90s during July, August and September. Winters are mild and warm, with average highs in the 70s. The area is fairly dry and only receives about 14 inches of rain in an average year.
- The cost of living in San Juan Capistrano is 92.6 percent higher than the national average of 100 but lower than the state average of 152. The high cost of housing is a significant part of that, but utilities, transportation, groceries and health care expenses are all higher than average.
- The San Juan Capistrano area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the award-winning Saint Joseph Health Mission Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- San Juan Capistrano has an array of community resources for seniors, including a city-run Senior Services department that provides free legal and estate planning assistance, exercise classes and recreation opportunities.
- Public transportation in the area is provided by the Orange County Transportation Authority, which operates both bus and commuter train routes in San Juan Capistrano. During the summer, additional free shuttles are available from parking areas to popular destinations. Seniors over age 60 are eligible for discounted fares on buses and trains.
- San Juan Capistrano is a relatively safe city to live in, with 50 percent lower rates of crime than the national average. There are about 1,421 incidents per 100,000 people reported every year, while California as a whole has about 2,998 incidents per 100,000 people.
Paying for Assisted Living in San Juan Capistrano
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in San Juan Capistrano start around $4,472 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in San Juan Capistrano and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in San Juan Capistrano
Eligible seniors in the San Juan Capistrano area can help pay for assisted living with a variety of Medi-Cal programs, including the Assisted Living Waiver Program, as well as with Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in San Juan Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in San Juan Capistrano, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in San Juan Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near San Juan Capistrano, CA
Other Options in San Juan Capistrano, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in San Juan Capistrano
Review of Brookdale San Juan Capistrano
Brookdale San Juan Capistrano's staff is very accommodating and they worked well with my mother-in-law. The facility is kept up nicely and the food seems to be good. My mother-in-law is enjoying he... Read more
Review of Del Obispo Terrace
The rooms at Del Obispo Terrace were quite small and there was nothing fancy about it. The hallways were very long, which I did not like. It was very warm inside and that would be very hard for me.... Read more
Review of Brookdale San Juan Capistrano
Brookdale San Juan Capistrano was in a more industrial area, and the grounds were not as landscaped beautifully as the other places. The staff members was also not as knowledgeable. I asked her que... Read more