40 Assisted Living Facilities near Windsor, CA
Also serving communities of Healdsburg, Forestville.
There are 40 Assisted Living Facilities in the Windsor area, with 7 in Windsor and 33 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Windsor is $4,380 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Santa Rosa with an average starting cost of $4,376.
To help you with your search, browse the 155 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Windsor. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Windsor 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Santa Rosa with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Windsor, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Windsor, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Windsor
Windsor is a small town on the reverse slope of the Coastal Range in Northern California's Santa Rosa Wine Country. Of the 27,500 people who live in Windsor, almost 15 percent are seniors age 65 and over. This community, and the larger city of Santa Rosa just to the south of it, are home to 40 assisted living facilities, where seniors can live independently while still getting the help they need with activities of daily living.
Like all residential care communities, assisted living in Windsor is licensed through the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Windsor
- Windsor's climate is warm and mild, which encourages vast fields of wildflowers, such as redwood violets, western trillium and fetid adder's tongue, to blossom year round. This can put a lot of pollen in the air and cause some discomfort for seniors with asthma. Summer highs average 83 degrees in Windsor, with average overnight lows of 37 degrees in winter. The eastern slope of the mountains where Windsor is located gets 36 inches of rain a year.
- The cost of living in Windsor is high by national standards, but less so for California. Prices here average 78 percent higher than the typical cost of living nationwide, though healthcare can be up to 8 percent less expensive in Windsor than it is nationally.
- Windsor's crime rate is less than half that of similar-sized cities nationwide. Violent crime is exceptionally rare, though property crimes like theft and vandalism remain an issue, mostly in neighboring Santa Rosa.
- Sonoma County Transit operates bus service for Windsor and other nearby communities. Senior discounts are offered for riders age 60 and up. Multiple private companies offer scenic tour bus rides all around the county, including some rides that are technically wine tasting tours, but which can be used by locals for travel into and out of the shopping district in Santa Rosa.
- The Windsor area is home to world-class medical facilities, including those specializing in brain health and dementia care such as Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital and Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Windsor has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Sonoma County Area Agency on Aging (AAA), an organization that teaches caregiver classes on fall prevention and life planning, among other topics, as well as two or three senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Windsor
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Windsor start around $4,260 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Windsor and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Windsor
Windsor is located in Sonoma County, which is one of only 15 counties in California that participate in the state's Home and Community Based Services (HCBS). This waiver program helps pay some of the cost of assisted living or home care for low-income seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Windsor
Windsor and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Windsor, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Windsor
Windsor-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Windsor
Review of Brookdale Windsor
We have selected Brookdale Windsor for Mom. So far, everybody that we've dealt with has been pleasant and very helpful. That was the primary thing. We haven't been able to actually get in to see ev... Read more
Review of Brookdale Windsor
Brookdale Windsor is fairly standard. It's not brand new, but it's not old. It's what you would expect, nothing special, nothing bad. They have had some turnover in the staff and I know my mom didn... Read more
Review of Shiloh Green Manor
All caregivers are caring and well trained in assisting resident for memory care and assisted leaving.the owner husband and wife are friendly and understandable treating their resident are family e... Read more