Brookdale Chanate

Brookdale Chanate (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Brookdale Chanate

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Chanate

May 17, 2015

I liked the little rooms that they would give you at Brookdale Place Chanate. It was like a two-bedroom and a living room. It was small, but doable. I liked the fact that they had lots of activities all the time because I was normally an active person. The people I met were all very nice, accommodating, and friendly. Everybody looked nice and dressed nicely, you know. They didn't look like homeless people or anything. They all seemed to be happy there and liked what was going on -- like having their meals served to them and everything. I thought it was a great idea for me, but then I just couldn't afford that. They had games and different stuff like that. Plus, they had an art class where they did water coloring, I thought that was very interesting, and I would be very interested in doing that. They were writing about their history. It looked nice and clean, with nice furniture and everything. The lady that took me around was dressed nicely. She was very friendly and seemed to be very knowledgeable. Any questions I asked, she knew it, and she introduced me to different people. We even looked around an already occupied two-bedroom place of a man and a woman.

January 20, 2015

By Linda210

My mom has at Brookdale Chanate for a year. I visited several other local facilities before she moved here, but what stood about Chanate was the intimacy that only a smaller facility can offer. Certainly you can find "fancier" places, but she is so comfortable with the smaller scale. It is easy to get to know the staff, and the peace of mind I have knowing she is happy and cared for is beyond measure.

January 13, 2015

We were able to place my mother-in-law in Brookdale at Chanate. Our whole experience of her being there has been really good. The people have been very nice in dealing with us and helping us out every step of the way. If we have any questions, they are very helpful as well. The first impression I got about the place was physically it looked very nice. They have a lot of activities like field trips, nail painting, and exercises. They come in and clean her apartment and help her out when she showers. She has been there for only eight days. I really don't have any complaints. We wanted to visit her often, so the closer the facility, the better.

November 05, 2014

By Hailey Ann

I toured Brookdale Place at Chanate. It appeared old to me but that may just be because the redwood shingle look doesn't appeal to me. I realized after I got there that this facility does not have a memory care, which I needed for my dad, who is living in another assisted living. I was walked down a long hallway with no windows to a room at the end of the hall. It had a patio door which lead outside to a hillside. This is when I definitely knew that I was in the wrong place. After I left, I talked to a couple friends who have parents living there. They are happy but not thrilled. Not enough caregivers for the number of residents. Not a lot of interesting activities. Parking was bad.

We deeply regret that we were unable to meet all of your expectations. We want to thank you for taking the time to visit and for providing feedback. Please know it will be reviewed and used to better serve our residents and their families in the future.

June 30, 2014

I loved Brookdale Place of Chanate because it was my kind of style. It was kind of a mountain lodge, and it was beautiful. The restaurant was setup so that the food was fresh, made right there on-site, and they took pride in that. They had lots of choices. They had these big rocking chairs out front that everybody would go sit in, and they provided a comfortable time for social exchange. However, though they had chairs sitting around, they were not as inviting as the other one I visited. It was not as much of a nice, welcoming place to hang out outdoors.

June 30, 2014

By Steve39

We have no complaints for Brookdale Place of Chanate. They have plenty of activities, though my dad is not really interested in them. The facility is a little superior in terms of its finish, look, and feel. The landscaping is well-maintained. They renovate at the level of replacing fixtures and floors, and so it has the feel of a first-rate place. It is not inconvenient for a periodic visit, but it is not conducive to visiting daily if you are a Sacramento person. He actually has a one-bedroom, and it has a sink, a refrigerator that is pretty much full size, and a fairly extensive bathroom with a walk-in shower and separate bath, so that one-bedroom is certainly roomy and well planned. It certainly is a very comfortable place. There is always a registered nurse at the facility, so it has a much higher level of on-site care.

February 28, 2014

I would give Brookdale Place of Chanate a top rating with the services that they have, the information, the staff, their building, as well as their people. We had lunch there and they offered healthy choices. People were active and visiting each other. They don’t encourage people to stay in their rooms and rot away. They have a lot of activities and they have nursing staff on duty all the time. We were interviewed by the nurse and by the administrator. I found the whole process of our visit very uplifting.

February 13, 2014

By Molly15

My daughter chose Brookdale for me. The staff is very good and I liked the food. I go to the exercise class every day but I’m power chair bound so I don’t take advantage of the amenities. I liked that they have a beauty parlor.

December 30, 2013

By Stephanie20

The living environment is nice at Brookdale Place at Chanate. I have an apartment with a tiny yard in the back which is nice because I could walk my dog out there. But they just have some staff members that I don’t particularly like because for some reason they irritate me. With regards to the activities, they have daily exercise class and they have bus trips that take people out on outings or to casinos for a couple of hours. They also take the residents once to month to restaurants where they have a nice dinner. Every day here is good, I just wish the food was better.

November 27, 2013

By Caring Daughter24

After visiting several facilities, we chose this one. Staff is attentive and caring and really care about the residence. the facility is beautifully located among trees and landscaping. Outdoor areas are shaded and raised garden beds. Smaller main building with many amenities that keep it more personal. Dining and food was superb. Mom, 90 years young, is loving it!

September 23, 2013

By Arthur4

It was interesting because it was near the mountainside and it was fairly new. They had activities. The rooms were beautiful. I would recommend this facility to others.

February 25, 2012

By LMJennex

My mom moved into Brookdale in Sept. '11 and it was the best thing she had done for herself in years. Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in the summer and my sisters and I knew she would eventually need care that we wouldnt be able to provide. Brookdale holds a Hospice waiver which allowed the wonderful people from Sutter Hospice to care for mom in her last months of life. The location is beautiful. Mom's unit allowed for her dog to live with her with a small patio yard. The facility is clean and the staff was great. The Director, Scott, was the most amazing person. My family wasnt sure what to expect but he made mom's (and our) transition into the facility a good one. He is caring and thoughtful. Mom was still ambulatory when she moved in and found that without the stress of living alone in a house that was too big, she was able to come and go as she pleased, loved that someone else cooked and did the dishes for her, the food was good and she was able to be social without the pressure of making friends fast. Her apartment was cleaned for her and her laundry done weekly. She had the freedom to get her hair done when she wanted, go on trips Brookdale sponsored, visit with family in the privacy of her apartment, and have fun. She said that she was not sure about moving but after she was settled, we all agreed with her that we wished she would have done it sooner. Mom died in November and we miss her every day. We are so grateful that she was at Brookdale during the last part of her life. Because the daily tasks of life were managed by Brookdale, it allowed us all the time we had to focus on our relationship with and our love for mom.

February 17, 2012

By Lefleur09

When I first drove up to the Brookdale facility I was unsure, but as soon as I walked through the doors I was welcomed by friendly staff which put my nerves at ease. As I went to meet my close family friend of years I noticed the homey touches they had. They had pictures of loved ones in some of the hallways and everything seemed very clean. I met my friend in the dining room and had chicken with mashed potatos and suprisingly the food was pretty tasty. They even let you have an array of desserts to choose from. After our meal my friend showed me his own room which was overlooking a nice garden full of colorful flowers. He told me it was always kept clean and whenever they needed anything all they had to do was call. After going to Brookdale I was pleasantly suprised and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a senior assisted living home.

July 21, 2011

By DrJames'Corner

I've referred patients to Brookdale, and they've been very happy with it. It's a high-class facility that's much more about hospitality than nursing. They have both independent living and assisted living, and in the assisted living part, they provide assistance for bathing, hygiene, grooming, dressing--but not much care beyond that. Other pros: Good food that's provided in residents' apartments or as restaurant service Good activities from 9am to 4pm, including gardening games, baking classes, etc. Full-service barber and beauty shop on site Nice extras, like celebrations dinners and cocktail hour Nicely maintained property, with beautiful gardens and walkways Cons: It's in a remote area, near Santa Rosa, so getting around can be problematic (though they do provide transportation)

May 23, 2011

By thoughtful1

Other

I have been to this facility many times. It's well located, in central Santa Rosa "“ close to lots of shops. And Sutter Hospital is only a few blocks away, although a new hospital is being built in a different location. The facility itself is very pretty, nestled in the trees. There are some nice outside areas, good for walking. And the rooms are nice, though the feel is a little more institutional than some facilities. There's a nice dining room, and a nice living room with a fireplace. My sense of the staff, from what I've seen, is that they're pretty good but not excellent. They're not quite as attentive as I've seen at some other facilities. The management recently changed to Brookdale, so things could change in the coming months. They have scheduled outings and activities there which are nice. The residents who do best here are pretty high-functioning. It's not as well suited to dementia patients"”and the management recognizes that. If someone needs a higher level of care they will recommend that and appropriately help facilitate a move to another facility.

Questions about Brookdale Chanate

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our staff are required to complete additional and specific dementia related monthly online training and are also provided training once a month on a variety of topics at our monthly all staff meetings

What programs or activities does Brookdale Chanate offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Right now, we are serving all meals Room Service style and taking live off the menu orders at each meal, to personalize the service and liken it to the restaurant style dining our residents have become accustomed to. We are actively engaging our residents to communicate with friends and family members through Facetime, Skype and Virtual communications to stay connected

What places are near Brookdale Chanate or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Our residents typically enjoy outings to drive through the gorgeous Wine Country, to nearby parks, local beaches, local restaurants, shopping, theater and even occasional trips to the casino.

What transportation services does Brookdale Chanate offer to assisted living residents?

We provide transportation to doctor appointments twice a week and once a week for local shopping needs. We also provide once a week excursions, Sunday drives and transportation to church services, if requested

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Chanate exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Chef Abe is exceptional, as he brings to Chanate over 25 years of restaurant ownership, catering management and an overall enthusiasm for creating a unique and special dining experience for his guests, our residents. Chef Abe actively includes and welcomes ongoing communication and discussions with residents about any desired changes, additions to the menu in his Weekly Menu Chat.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Chanate offer to assisted living residents?

Our residents safety and security is at the forefront our our Executive Director and Maintenance Directors' minds and in all they do throughout the day. We have monthly safety and evacuation drills and training to educate all staff and keep them up to date on any changes throughout our community. Right now, during the Covid Shelter in Place, we have very early on, implemented health and safety precautions and measures to keep our residents and staff healthy and symptom free. Our community is asymptomatic and follows very stringent screening and no visitor guidelines.

How does Brookdale Chanate keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

At Brookdale Chanate, we have an active and healthy communication stream with our families. We communicate via phone, email or in person (when appropriate) and our Executive Director and managers are always open to hearing any concern or compliment from our residents and their families. We always strive to promise follow up and we deliver.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Chanate during daytime and nighttime hours?

At Brookdale Chanate, we appropriately staff according to resident care needs and always have care staff on duty, 24 hours a day.

If Brookdale Chanate accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are very pet friendly at Brookdale Chanate! Our pets enjoy the option of a patio or balcony in each and every apartment. We also have gorgeous outdoor walking paths and common patio areas for their enjoyment.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our staff are required to complete monthly online training and are also provided training once a month on a variety of topics at our monthly all staff meetings

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Chanate provide to protect residents who wander?

We have a secure environment in our Claire Bridge, Memory Care program, which ensures safety against wandering.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Chanate offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

At Brookdale Chanate, in our Claire Bridge - Memory Care program every day, we offer exercise twice a day. Every day we offer a brain exercise, for example crossword, reminiscing questions and round table discussion, trivia, discussion about the most important person in your life, etc. Our residents participate in Fllex Your Brain, which is a series of games to create phrases, as well as a large number of similar word games. We offer creative time during each day to include activity that involves gardening, painting, crafting. We also offer music every day - sing along, karaoke, or just time to simply listening to their favorite music. Every day we also offer sensory time, such as aromatherapy and also reading and current events.

Our Health and Wellness Director, Coordinator, Executive Director, managers and staff all communicate on the daily about the current condition and physical and cognitive functioning and/or noticed changes in condition. Our Health and Wellness Director will complete the assessment and communicate with the doctor, family and Executive Director about the outcome and findings in the assessment. Assessments are conducted at move in, 14-30 days after move in, after a change in condition or hospital stay

What techniques does Brookdale Chanate use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Before mealtime, residents do assist with setting up the dining room, which is something many residents enjoy. During mealtime, we always have music playing. Some residents do need hand over hand assistance to encourage self eating; only for those residents who need assistance. We try to encourage social interaction and talking during meals. We do offer choices at mealtimes, and always offer alternative choices in addition to menu offerings. Many residents love to assist with the clean up after mealtime, as well.

How does Brookdale Chanate keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Our Executive Director, Wellness Director, and lead care staff communicate with families by phone, email and in person to keep them informed as to the health and any change in condition.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Chanate. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

What makes our community so very unique, is that we are minutes from all 3 local hospitals and all major shopping. We are also located within a residential neighborhood and off the beaten path, nestled amongst the redwoods, yet right in town. A very unique and tranquil setting

Is Brookdale Chanate affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Broodale Chanate is affiliated with Kaiser, Sutter, Memorial hospitals. We are also affiliated and have good working relationships with Parkview, Summerfield, Creekside and Arbol Post Acute Care and Skilled Nursing

Photos of Brookdale Chanate

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Chanate

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• Features Extra: Library

• Pets: Yes

• Licenses: RCFE

About Brookdale Chanate

Brookdale Chanate provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Brookdale Chanate's setting surrounded by redwood trees makes it a must-see community in Sonoma County. Every apartment has outdoor space where residents can enjoy the beauty of our surroundings. Please come and visit . . .our residents will make you feel right at home.

Map of Brookdale Chanate