4 Assisted Living Facilities near Selma, CA
Also serving communities of Fowler.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Selma area, with 2 in Selma and 2 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 10 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Selma. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Selma 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Reedley with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Selma, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Selma, CA
2 Assisted Living Facilities near Selma, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Selma
Selma is a fast-growing city located in California’s central San Joaquin Valley. This regional hub in southeast Fresno County offers seniors a variety of cultural opportunities at the Selma Arts Center, a beautiful downtown area and small-town charm with big-city development.
Seniors aged 65 and older make up nearly 11% of Selma’s population of approximately 24,800. Those who need assistance with medication management, housekeeping and meals have two assisted living communities in Selma to consider, with two more in nearby Fowler and Reedley. ALFs are called residential care facilities for the elderly (RCFEs) in California, and the California Department of Social Services’ Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD) and Continuing Care Contracts Branch has oversight.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Selma
- Crime rates in Selma may give seniors cause for concern. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being high crime, Selma scores a 46.2 for violent crime, which is significantly higher than the U.S. average of 22.7. Property crime in Selma ranks 55.5, also higher than the national average of 35.4.
- Selma has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Selma Senior Center, which offers daily lunches, educational programs, health services, recreational outings and a library.
- The poor air quality in Fresno County may pose a serious health hazard to seniors in Selma with respiratory and cardiac conditions. The American Lung Association gives the region an “F” for ozone pollution and an “F” for particle pollution. This may limit the amount of time seniors can safely spend outdoors.
- The Selma area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Adventist Health Selma, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors aged 65 and over may ride the Selma Transit buses for free. The natural gas vans operate on an on-call basis six days a week and pick up and drop off seniors at the requested destination within the Selma service area.
- Selma’s overall cost of living is about 6% higher than the national average, with most of that due to the higher cost of housing, transportation and utilities. Seniors may save on healthcare costs in Selma, however, as they’re about 15% lower than the U.S. average.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Selma
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Selma start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Selma and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Selma
California’s Assisted Living Waiver Program (ALWP) is currently available in 15 California counties, including Fresno County. Eligible seniors receive help paying for services such as personal care assistance, medication administration and prepared meals in RCFEs but must pay for their own room and board costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Selma
Selma and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Selma, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Selma
Selma-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Selma
Review of Bethel Lutheran Home
One of my grandparents had an extended stay at Bethel Lutheran Home. I remember some very fond memories of the place and the experience. Many people often stereotype assisted living facilities as b... Read more