5 Assisted Living Facilities
Also serving communities of Mckinleyville.
The average cost of assisted living in
than the national median of
Cheaper nearby regions include
with an average starting cost of
To help you with your search, browse the
assisted living facilities
On average, consumers rate assisted living in Eureka
out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about
assisted living options and costs in
Also serving communities of Mckinleyville.
The average cost of assisted living in Eureka is $3,115 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,345. Cheaper nearby regions include Fortuna with an average starting cost of $2,895.
To help you with your search, browse the 26 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Eureka. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Eureka 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Eureka, call (855) 863-8283.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Eureka
Review of Timber Ridge of Eureka
My mother and father moved to this Eureka, CA facility last summer and I visited for a week to observe their care. The building is new, furnishings are clean, rooms are individually decorated and t... Read more
Review of Humboldt House Lodge Assisted Living
Humboldt House Lodge is new, very clean, and very well cared for. It's a small house, so we do not have a lot of activities going on here. We have an extensive video library and do movie night and ... Read more
Review of Alder Bay Assisted Living
At this point, Alder Bay Assisted Living seems to be the one that would be best for me. I'd pick them if I have to go into assisted living. The people that live there seemed nice. The apartments we... Read more
Assisted Living near Humboldt County, CA
More Options Near Eureka, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Eureka
Eureka is a port city located in the Redwood Empire region of Humboldt County, California. This small seaport town is home to just under 30,000 people of which 15.1 percent are over 65. This senior population is served by five assisted living facilities within Eureka itself. These communities are referred to as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs) and are regulated by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Eureka
- Eureka’s cost of living is 5.1 percent higher than the U.S. average. However, transportation and health care costs are below national medians, which can help seniors put more money towards assisted living. Grocery costs are slightly above average.
- Seniors who enjoy outdoor activities will benefit from Eureka’s temperate Mediterranean climate. Winters are rainy and mild with lows of 42 degrees Fahrenheit in January and a rainfall of 44 inches annually. Summers are cool and dry with highs reaching averages of 65 degrees in July.
- Eureka has plenty of arts and culture for seniors to enjoy, from its historic Victorian-era Old Town district to sites such as the Sequoia Park Zoo, Clark Historical Museum and Fort Humboldt State Historic Park. The Zoo offers a reduced admission price for seniors over 60.
- While Social Security benefits are exempt from taxation in California, the state does tax all other income from pensions and retirement accounts, which may affect seniors living on a tight budget.
- Seniors who do not drive can get around town on buses provided by the Eureka Transit Service. Adults over 62 may apply for reduced fares. Seniors who do not take public transit can find transportation with Dial-A-Ride, which provides a shared ride system across Humboldt County. The Area 1 Agency on Aging has a Volunteer Driver Program, which also provides transportation around the county.
- Eureka has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Area 1 Agency on Aging Senior Information and Assistance program, an organization that provides services and resources to seniors in Humboldt County as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Eureka
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Eureka start around $3,115 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Eureka and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Eureka
Seniors living in Eureka do not qualify for the Medi-Cal Assisted Living Waiver since Humboldt County is not part of the program. However, seniors may apply for the Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP) Waiver which can help to offset costs for services such as personal care, transportation, counseling and meal service.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Eureka
Eureka and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Eureka
Eureka-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.