17 Assisted Living Facilities in Redding, CA
With an average cost of $4,695 in Redding, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 49 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 17 facilities in Redding.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Redding
Redding is a popular tourist spot near the headwaters of the Sacramento River, in the far-northern reaches of California's Central Valley. The city has 17 assisted living communities, all of which are regulated on the state level by the California Department of Social Services Senior Care Licensing division. Residents in these communities may expect every effort to be made to help them live as independently and with as much privacy as their health allows. In addition to the state guidelines, residential care homes in Redding offer room and board, 24-hour supervision and help with residents' activities of daily living (ADLs), such as grooming, dressing and personal care needs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Redding
- Redding gets weather typical of the northern Central Valley in California. Daily highs average 75 degrees Fahrenheit here, while lows hit 50 degrees, on average. Redding enjoys an abundant 35 inches of rain in non-drought years.
- Redding's cost of living is refreshingly low by California standards, though still a bit high compared with the rest of the country. Health care and housing are between 7 and 27 percent more expensive in Redding than national averages, while groceries and utilities are somewhat cheaper.
- Redding is in Shasta County, and as such, residents pay 7.25-percent sales tax on most purchases. California has one of America's highest income tax rates for residents, though SSI and some types of retirement income may be exempt.
- Crime in Redding is not an epidemic, though the numbers in most categories are not stellar. Serious crimes, especially violent crimes, are thankfully around half the national average, though property crime tracks with the nationwide rates.
Redding Area Bus Authority offers limited routes around the Shasta County region, though coverage picks up inside the city itself. Discounts are available for seniors and students, though you must have a valid transit ID to claim it.
- Redding residents who need medical care can find some of the best in the region at Mercy Medical Center Redding. This facility offers inpatient and emergency care, with LifeFlight service to Sacramento for the most serious cases that can't be locally treated.
Paying for Assisted Living in Redding
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Redding start around $4,695 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Redding and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Redding
Seniors who require financial assistance with an ALF can seek eligibility through the California Medicaid program. Low-income individuals who prefer to live in an ALF rather than a nursing home may also receive help through the Assisted Living Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Redding
Redding and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Redding, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Redding
Redding-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Redding, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Redding
Review of Oakmont of Redding
Oakmont of Redding was a wonderful community. Excellent feedback. It was beautiful. The person who assisted us was very cheerful, very welcoming and very professional. The dining area was all seate... Read more
Review of Sundial Assisted Living
Friendly staff, they work together with family to take care of residents needs. My Mom has lived here 3 and 1/2 years now. The building is light inside. They offer a variety of activities. Here is ... Read more
Review of Sundial Assisted Living
The staff at Sundial Assisted Living will live in my heart for the rest of my life. The care they showed my mother was beyond words. They make everyone feel like family. After my mother passed i... Read more