111 Assisted Living Facilities near San Jose, CA
With an average cost of $4,519 in San Jose, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 186 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 72 facilities in San Jose.
72 Assisted Living Facilities in San Jose, CA
39 Assisted Living Facilities near San Jose, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in San Jose
San Jose is one of the oldest settlements in California and was once a supply base for gold prospectors. This culturally rich city is home to 95,242 seniors aged 65 or older, some of whom may benefit from living in an assisted living facility. To support these seniors, San Jose is home to 71 assisted living facilities, with an additional 40 located in neighboring areas.
In San Jose and the rest of California, assisted living facilities are known as Residential Care Facilities (RCFs), and are governed by the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in San Jose
- In California, retirement savings account income and pensions are both fully taxed. California is not tax-friendly toward seniors. Seniors in San Jose who rely on these types of income may find that they have less money to put toward their facility budgets.
- San Jose is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership "has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages," according to AARP.
- San Jose has a crime rating of 22.5 for violent crime, slightly lower than the national average of 22.7, and a property crime rating of 26.5, which is slightly higher than the national average of 35.4. These relatively low crime rates indicate that the city is a safe place for seniors.
- San Jose offers several public transit options, such as buses and rails, that cover most of the city. The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) offers reduced fares to seniors and special programs for medical appointments and convenient transportation.
- The cost of living in San Jose is 260, considerably higher than the national average of 100. Seniors might want to keep the high cost of living in the area in mind when allocating money toward their healthcare budgets.
- Air quality in San Jose is often poor, ranking 45 on Sperling's Index, much lower than the national average of 54, indicating that seniors with respiratory issues should take precautions.
Paying for Assisted Living in San Jose
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in San Jose start around $4,519 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in San Jose and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in San Jose
If seniors are exploring assisted living facilities as an option, San Jose residents can take advantage of several government programs designed to provide financial aid. These programs are the In-Home Supportive Services Program, the Assisted Living Waiver Program, the Home and Community Based Waiver and Medi-Cal's Adult Day Health Care program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in San Jose
San Jose and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in San Jose, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in San Jose
San Jose-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in San Jose, CA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in San Jose
Review of Compassionate Eldercare Undajon Rcfe
My mother is at Compassionate ElderCare. It's a month-to-month basis, and she's there on a temporary basis. The staff is friendly and hardworking, but they change from time to time. The facility is... Read more
Review of Sunrise Villa San Jose
Sunrise Villa San Jose had a lot of services and a lot of activities. It's very clean, and they had a lot of staff. It's big, and the apartment was furnished and looked really good. It was like a r... Read more
Review of Golden Heritage Senior Living
My mom is at Golden Heritage and it's quite nice. They provide meals, assistance for all sorts of living needs, and they have activities twice a day and entertainment on the weekends. It's a pretty... Read more