203 Assisted Living Facilities near Tarzana, CA
There are 203 Assisted Living Facilities in the Tarzana area, with 13 in Tarzana and 190 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Tarzana is $4,555 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Encino with an average starting cost of $3,365.
To help you with your search, browse the 556 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Tarzana. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Tarzana 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Encino with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Tarzana, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Tarzana, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Tarzana
Founded in 1927, Tarzana is a diverse Los Angeles neighborhood nestled in the heart of the San Fernando Valley. Built on part of the former estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzana takes its name from Tarzan, the protagonist of Burroughs' novel.
Today, with its scenic views, temperate climate and state-of-the-art medical facilities, the Tarzana area has a lot to offer seniors, including more than 200 options for assisted living. Officially known as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs), these assisted living communities are licensed by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Tarzana
- Seniors may want to inquire whether an assisted living facility offers outings so that its residents can enjoy Tarzana's art and culture. The neighborhood is home to many merchants and restaurants, as well as Tarzana Park and the Tarzana Community and Cultural Center.
- For seniors who want bright skies and balmy weather, Tarzana may fit the bill. The warmest month is July, with an average high temperature of 91 degrees, and the coolest month is January, with an average low of 44 degrees. The median daily temperature in the San Fernando Valley is 77.5 degrees.
- Knowing how local prices of goods and services stack up against other parts of the country can help seniors budget for assisted living. In Tarzana, groceries, for example, cost about the same as the average elsewhere in the U.S., while healthcare is about 15 percent cheaper than the national average.
- The Tarzana area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Providence Tarzana Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- As for air quality, the Tarzana area scores poorly for ozone and short-term particle pollution. Exposure to polluted air may worsen the symptoms of seniors with asthma or other breathing problems.
- While California's income tax code gives seniors in Tarzana a break by exempting their Social Security benefits, the state doesn't extend this generosity to other types of retirement income, which are all taxable.
Paying for Assisted Living in Tarzana
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Tarzana start around $4,217 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Tarzana and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Tarzana
Seniors may wonder how they will finance assisted living, especially if they are on a fixed income. In Tarzana, there are a couple of programs designed to help eligible seniors pay for assisted living services. The first is a Medicaid waiver known as the Assisted Living Waiver Program. The second is Supplemental Security Income (SSI) through California's Optional State Supplement program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Tarzana
Tarzana and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Tarzana, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Tarzana
Tarzana-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Tarzana
Review of Blue Skies Ranch
I was looking for a Board and Care for my Mom unexpectedly, I was referred to Blue Skies Ranch, in Tarzana. I called and spoke with Eilene, the owner who also happens to be a RN. Eilene w... Read more
Review of Blue Skies Ranch
Wow, what a fabulous place to be! Eileen and her staff were so kind and caring to my Mother in law and to all of our family! They kept us informed on how Mom was doing especially during Covid. ... Read more
Review of Blue Skies Ranch
We visited the facility with our mother. We were very impressed with how clean and nice the facility was. The staff were remarkable! The head of the facility is very qualified and knowledgeable. I ... Read more